Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Retrofitting Active Info Display in Golf 7

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by m87a View Post
    fiber optic works in series one plug, 2 fiber optics input and output, so you will need Y fiber optic spliter adapter, connected to original plug that goes to dynaudio, new plug to dynaudio and extra one longer to the cluster / active info display, for the coding to the car, if it's brand new dealer can code it no problem
    m87a: Interesting................. I assume that the cluster swap for the Active Display isn't just a MOST coupling connection - is it? The instrument cluster module J285 is run from the convenience CAN, but the MOST facility is driven via J794 which hangs off the Infotainment CAN. Somehow, signals from the fuel gauge sender still needs to be processed (I would think)? Also, are there Component Protection issues with retrofitting an Active Display - as there would be if a new "normal" cluster were installed (or is this somehow avoided)?

Don
    VW Golf MkVII (MY13) - A3 8V hatch (MY17)

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    yes MOST is just a coupling connection, there is still a regular connector (new connector different shape) which needs to be connected to everything else to work, including power, CAN, fuel gauge, etc...
    In mk7 every cluster has CP which needs to be adjusted to vehicle, Active Display is the same it has CP it needs to be adjusted to car, key (immobilizer) needs to be adjusted to Active Display ECU etc...
    This can be avoid only by immo OFF but that would require some other stuff to be messed and car would be easily stolen, started with screw driver...

3. Likes DV52 liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey all.

As promised an update. I drove to Belgium where I met the seller and the guy who was going to unlock the components and code it. The plan was to be done at 21.00 but the firmware took a while to fix so we ended up being done at 30 past midnight. Now, the digital speedometer is installed and working. Right now though I haven't cabled the optics and I am still waiting for the mib 2 amplifier to get in through the door. Until then the map function does not work on the cluster.

Overall I am very happy with the upgrade, the digital speedometer is so awesome! Since we decided to stop before everything was through there's still a few things to code, one thing is for example that the speedometer things my car is an e-golf so the range calculation gives a warning when starting the car.

If anyone wants to know, Roy from MMI Repair Center in belgium did the modification. That guy is a wizard! I'll make a writeup once all of the stuff is completely done

5. Likes m87a liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not a secret. Loot of people who have official ODIS with GEKO / SVM can do that even remotelly, just use laptop and VAS equipment
    HOT HOT HOT VW Touran 2005 with ACC HOT HOT HOT

Post Thanks / Like
    Curious to know if I can just drop in the cluster without the head unit or display for now. I just want the digital speedo and tach!

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Blade3562 View Post
    Curious to know if I can just drop in the cluster without the head unit or display for now. I just want the digital speedo and tach!
    If you already have a MIB 2 discover pro you shouls be able to drop it in. You need to do the optical cabling though

9. Likes Blade3562 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by vrod View Post
    If you already have a MIB 2 discover pro you shouls be able to drop it in. You need to do the optical cabling though
    I still have MIB 1, I've been waiting for the relase of MIB 2.5/3 to come out for that massive touch screen. Maybe I should just wait and do both of these simultaneously?

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by vrod View Post

If anyone wants to know, Roy from MMI Repair Center in belgium did the modification. That guy is a wizard! I'll make a writeup once all of the stuff is completely done
    Im really happy for you this worked out.
    In my opinion this guy is a complete joke, and despite hundreds of long distance phonecalls, text messages and emails he still owes me the money I spent sending my RNS 850 unit to him for upgrades and recieved it with the green screen of death.

If youre not in within the distance to physically visit his shop - my best recommendation is to avoid doing business with him.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AndySwede View Post
    Im really happy for you this worked out.
    In my opinion this guy is a complete joke, and despite hundreds of long distance phonecalls, text messages and emails he still owes me the money I spent sending my RNS 850 unit to him for upgrades and recieved it with the green screen of death.

If youre not in within the distance to physically visit his shop - my best recommendation is to avoid doing business with him.
    I wouldn't even mention it but since you did I have also a bad experience with that guy, after a thousand calls, messages, threats, he "sent me my device which got lost", also for cheaper postage he put value 10$

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm sorry you had those experiences. In my case he went the extra mile and stayed up until past midnight on a wednesday to get (mostly) all my stuff working. As said there's still a few things to be done but we all just wanted to get home to bed, I'll drop him a visit on wednesday. When I had to make the next appointment I got him on the phone right away and we made it.

@Blade3562 - The new MIB2 facelift unit is hard to get and def. more expensive (a few hundred €'s). From my short-time experience with it (just got some sound working this evening as I installed my MIB2 amp for dynaudio), it's a really nice unit. Nice big screen, it's fast and the "home" view shows both nav, radio and phone. Something I really like. It's simply taste, if you are mainly after the digital cluster, it might be worth it just going for the "old" MIB2 DP.