Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Retrofitting Active Info Display in Golf 7

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like

Retrofitting Active Info Display in Golf 7

Hi all,

I have a golf 7 gti from 2014 and I will be retrofitting the discover pro and active info display from the new facelift edition next week. The discover pro is already "taken care of" as the seller will get it unlocked and ready for use. However I am wondering about the Active info display. As far as I know, it should be possible to code it to the car but I have found that I will need to connect a fiber optic cable from both my dynaudio amplifier and the navigation to the cluster.

Does anyone have experience with the active info display? As far as I can see on pictures (haven't received the piece yet), it only has one fiber optic plug and not 2 I would believe that I would need to connect both amplifier and Navigation.

Part# of the cluster is 5G1920791

I am thankful for any information that might clear this up.
    Chris

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    fiber optic works in series one plug, 2 fiber optics input and output, so you will need Y fiber optic spliter adapter, connected to original plug that goes to dynaudio, new plug to dynaudio and extra one longer to the cluster / active info display, for the coding to the car, if it's brand new dealer can code it no problem

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by m87a View Post
    fiber optic works in series one plug, 2 fiber optics input and output, so you will need Y fiber optic spliter adapter, connected to original plug that goes to dynaudio, new plug to dynaudio and extra one longer to the cluster / active info display, for the coding to the car, if it's brand new dealer can code it no problem
    Thanks for your input! Sorry, I'm not sure if I understand your solution though. I already have an optic cable running from the dynaudio amp to the discover media. Does this need to be replaced? How does the Y-splitter work and would you have it's part number perhaps?

Unfortunately the cluster is not new, 12000km old. I don't hope this will pose a problem?

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    I decided to use good old paint to better ask my question... Since each device has one optic ports with 2 connectors, this would perhaps be the way to wire it?

I work with fiber optic cabling in networking and are used to that the cables are RX/TX, but it's maybe different here?

Edit: Google drive are being ridicilous, posting direct link to the image here...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_G...ew?usp=sharing

Edit2: I've been thinking a bit about it and looking at TV audio systems for example, the optic connection only contains one fiber because the TV sends audio signals to the receiver... I bet it will be something similar here, since the unit just sends audio signals to the amplifier, then communicates over the CANBUS about other stuff. As far as I can see, the new unit (as well as my own) has 2 optics which means it also sends out on that one..

So in theory, I will need to attach a second optic cable to the plug going to the main unit (since it has 1 out of 2 right now) and plug the other end into the cluster as the cluster will be receiving data from the unit (like the map), not sending it. After thinking it through, I don't know what the cluster and amplifier would send/receive to "each other", so perhaps the cabling between "them" are not needed at all?
    Last edited by vrod; 07-30-2017 at 07:06 AM. Reason: stuff

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    for used cluster it depends on dealership, from my experience they didn't even want to touch it, but your dealership could be ok and adapt everything except kilometers/miles
    yes, rx tx, same system
    nope, 2 fiber rx tx
    yes, either on dynaudio or discover pro which could be easier to route
    here

best free image hosting site

6. Likes Uwe, DV52, vrod liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome, thank you. I do know various mechanics who works at volkswagen who could eventually try it. When you say "except kilometers", does that mean that my mileage would not be able to be changed? My car has gone about 78000 km's and that would be nice to also have displayed.

Cool, thanks for your diagram, now it makes sense! Where could I get this splitter, would you have a part number? I'll get the cables ordered, thanks a lot for your help so far and sharing the information!

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ask "Watcher" on Vagcars regarding the mileage of the new speedometer. Dealers canīt change that unless itīs a brand new unit.
    ī16 Skoda Superb Combi 1.4 TSI ACT DSG Ambition + - Magnetic Brown
    ī16 VW Golf 1.0 TSI BlueMotion Style - Pure White

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GaSelle View Post
    Ask "Watcher" on Vagcars regarding the mileage of the new speedometer. Dealers canīt change that unless itīs a brand new unit.
    Will do, I already have a chat going on regarding the discover pro unit I purchased.

I bought a Y-splitter on ebay for 26€. Part of a audi retrofit cable bundle but should work anyways sice it's all standard connectors. https://www.ebay.de/itm/371347692743

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    you have all the info you need and are on a right track, keep us updated

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by m87a View Post
    you have all the info you need and are on a right track, keep us updated
    I certainly will, thanks a lot for your help!