Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Central electric module 9 not responding 2014 GTI

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    One of the slaves of module 09 is causing module 09 to make the scan tool wait indefinitely when we request identification. VCDS is trying to break out of that wait, but the module refuses any further request since it's still (presumably) waiting on that slave. Not sure where you go from there, could be an actual slave malfunctioning, the wiring to it, or any coding/adaptation change you made...
    OK now that we know the 09 issue is slave related, and this car only has one slave (unless a RLS is installed, but I doubt that), I have to wonder if it is faulty. You mentioned replacement sylvania silver stars .. and even though those bulbs are NOT noted for causing problems (I run them in my Halogen cars) I have to wonder if the headlight bulbs or some combination of pulling and reinstalling fuses spiked the BCM and/or connected slave wiper motor.

I think we should locate and remove the fuse for the wiper motor so you can Auto-Scan it again and see if my theory is correct. I'll edit this post after I locate a wiring diagram.

Edit:
    Vehicle Identification No. WVWHD7AJ2EW000948
    2013 (5K19W3) GTI | Production date 16.08.2013
    Engine code CBFA
    Transmission code PBH

Per the Standard equipment (Canada, Mexico, USA) from November 2011 wiring diagram # 121, J400 (Wiper motor control module) is powered from one of two possible fuses - depending on the installed fuse box:

SB31 (E-Box High)
    SB19 (E-Box Low)

If you have parking spots/slots for 2 total relays in the box under the hood I would consider that the Low system.
    If you have parking spots/slots for 4 total relays in the box under the hood I would consider that the High system.

Either way, the fuse should be a 30A and that is Terminal 30 (constant battery power) power source.
    Last edited by Dana; 12-04-2014 at 11:35 AM.

2. Likes Eric, Uwe liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ok pulled the fuse and confirmed by trying wipers which didn't go on. That said still no access to module and now I do show an error but no code on the gateway list which I can not erase. Help! That said I do remember changing the wiper settings in module 9 to one sweep after using the windshield washer, when I did have access.

Post Thanks / Like
    ag13: I know that it's little solace, but the aberrant behaviour of your BCM is an intriguing mystery (that seems to have captured the interest of lots of folk here). Your thread reads like the unfolding story to a good book - every new post adds yet another dimension to the development of the plot.

Whilst I don't want to interrupt the flow of Dana's hypothesis, just for my own edification can you confirm my suspicion from a previous post - please?
    Quote Originally Posted by dv52
    ag13: Again, my apology if my reply regarding your issue is less-than-helpful, but I note that there are no entries in the file that you posted after 24 September 2014 (for your car). The missing line entries that you mention could be explained if (like me) you are using Mr Ross's Beta SW ver concurrently with the full release SW ver. If this is so, there is a separate CodingLog.txt file in the Ross-Tech \Beta directory.
    VW Golf MkVII (MY13) - A3 8V hatch (MY17)

5. Likes Dana liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Did pulling that fuse for the test resolve the Auto-Scan problem?

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't have a fresh enough version of Sebastian's work (hello! ) to comment about 08, but Dana did mention this car is a RNS 510 retrofit. Nothing wrong with that, however I see 42 had its coding changed to reflect Seat Memory installed. Seeing how the door modules being locked interfere with comms to 09, I'd urge a revert to the original coding of both 42 and 52 if Seat Memory is not actually installed. Very good point DV52

8. Likes DV52 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Eric: I removed my post after I re-read the thread (about RNS 510 retrofit). Guess I got so interested in the plot of AG13's unfolding story, that I forget about the storyline detail (always a risk with a good book!).

Can you provide more information about the interaction between the door control modules and comms with 09? Why does this happen?
    Last edited by DV52; 12-04-2014 at 07:28 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I didn't write the firmware in those controllers, but our guess is that locking the doors sends some sort of a sleep signal to the central electrics or the gateway. Is it far fetched that the door modules could make 09 misbehave if they were told to interact with seat memory functionality when there is none? I think reverting the coding is worth a try

11. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Well, I didn't write the firmware in those controllers, but our guess is that locking the doors sends some sort of a sleep signal to the central electrics or the gateway. Is it far fetched that the door modules could make 09 misbehave if they were told to interact with seat memory functionality when there is none? I think reverting the coding is worth a try
    Eric: Thanks for the explanation which makes sense. And yes, I agree that rolling back the codes is an easy-try.

Ag13: Here's the rest of the compare between the two Auto-scans (first line in each address is the earlier auto-scan)

13. Likes Eric, Uwe, flygteye liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    I hope in the end the story doesn't have a bum ending, lol. Ok auto scan still hangs on module 9. I did put back in the oem bulbs, no change. Eric when I get home this evening I will recode back to oem per your breakdown and retry. Just so you all know I REALLY appreciate your help on this. It seriously is a brain teaser.

Quote Originally Posted by DV52 View Post
    Eric: Thanks for the explanation which makes sense. And yes, I agree that rolling back the codes is an easy-try.

Ag13: Here's the rest of the compare between the two Auto-scans (first line in each address is the earlier auto-scan)

15. Likes Eric, Uwe liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    unfortunately no change even restoring all items to oem status.

Quote Originally Posted by ag13 View Post
    I hope in the end the story doesn't have a bum ending, lol. Ok auto scan still hangs on module 9. I did put back in the oem bulbs, no change. Eric when I get home this evening I will recode back to oem per your breakdown and retry. Just so you all know I REALLY appreciate your help on this. It seriously is a brain teaser.