2008 A6 3.2L BKH Engine 000772 - Cylinder 4, P0304 - 006 - Misfire Detected - MIL ON

BinsuJiro

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=63476
A big "THANK YOU" to Jack!

I just spent a very enjoyable afternoon with Jack, and learned a vast amount of information about my 2008 A6, and about proper diagnostic procedure. It has been a long time since I have enjoyed an afternoon of technical conversation and learned so much.

I know that Jack and I got off to a rocky start on the forum, but Jack knows his stuff, and I have even confidence that his information is rock solid.

Jack has laid out a roadmap of how to proceed with diagnosing the problem with my son's 2008 A6 with the 3.2L engine, and I will follow the plan, and report back here when all of the testing is done so that everyone can learn from my experience with this problem. With work and all, I should be getting back to the forum early next week after the 31st, and hopefully I will have some answers to the Cylinder 4 Misfiring and the other DTCs reported here.

Once again, Jack, thank you for a delightful afternoon of facinating conversation.

Best, Vincent

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Thank you Vincent for being so kind and most of all thank you for your past service to this country.
Looking forward to the solution.
What a fun weekend with new friends, donuts and good coffee!
Please tell your wife thank you too.

BinsuJiro

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=63476
Good evening Jack!

I conveyed your appreciation to my wife. It was indeed an enjoyable afternoon.

I got the compression tester, and this evening before it got too dark outside I did a first run of compression testing.

The results are depressing [and a bit erratic...I think there were a different number of revolutions on some cylinders]. So here are the readings,

Cylinder 1 [Right/front] = 193 psi,
Cylinder 2 [Right/Middle] = 195.5 psi
Cylinder 3 [Right/Rear] = 185 psi
Cylinder 4 [Left/Front] = 003psi
Cylinder 5 [Left/Middle] = 185.5 psi
Cylinder 6 [Left/Rear] = 240 psi

I may have had my helper crank a bit longer for the last measurement, or it may have been just getting used to a new tool and developing a consistent technique.

With the compression in Cylinder 4 being so abysmal, clearly there is a mechanical problem. I also got a leak down gage and will do that test over the weekend to isolate where the Cylinder 4 Compression leak is occurring.

I was unable to unplug the T6 and T14 connectors to disable the injectors and was at a loss for finding the correct fuse to remove to disable them. So, against my better judgement, I ran the compression test anyway. I wanted to have some information about what was wrong and it was getting dark.

I'll keep you posted on the next test result, and if you could make a suggestion of how to disable the injectors, I would appreciate having a way to do that. If I must, I could lubricate the connectors [dare I say] with ArmorAll, and see if that helps to disengage the T6 and T14 connectors.

Best regards,
Vincent

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Good evening Jack!

I conveyed your appreciation to my wife. It was indeed an enjoyable afternoon.

I got the compression tester, and this evening before it got too dark outside I did a first run of compression testing.

The results are depressing [and a bit erratic...I think there were a different number of revolutions on some cylinders]. So here are the readings,

Cylinder 1 [Right/front] = 193 psi,
Cylinder 2 [Right/Middle] = 195.5 psi
Cylinder 3 [Right/Rear] = 185 psi
Cylinder 4 [Left/Front] = 003psi
Cylinder 5 [Left/Middle] = 185.5 psi
Cylinder 6 [Left/Rear] = 240 psi

I may have had my helper crank a bit longer for the last measurement, or it may have been just getting used to a new tool and developing a consistent technique.

With the compression in Cylinder 4 being so abysmal, clearly there is a mechanical problem. I also got a leak down gage and will do that test over the weekend to isolate where the Cylinder 4 Compression leak is occurring.

I was unable to unplug the T6 and T14 connectors to disable the injectors and was at a loss for finding the correct fuse to remove to disable them. So, against my better judgement, I ran the compression test anyway. I wanted to have some information about what was wrong and it was getting dark.

I'll keep you posted on the next test result, and if you could make a suggestion of how to disable the injectors, I would appreciate having a way to do that. If I must, I could lubricate the connectors [dare I say] with ArmorAll, and see if that helps to disengage the T6 and T14 connectors.

Best regards,
Vincent

Shit that sucks ........but that is why we do basics first.

Time for tear down........after you do the test in # 4 one last time, just to be sure!

Pull VC and see if a lifter bank looks dropped as apposed to others indicating a sucked or dropped valve.

This is done with cam lobes facing up......... if a visual gap is present, it's time for complete head removal.

"Connectors" ............dental pick works well as does a micro flat tip screwdriver.

Back