Team Atlas

swedishchef

Reaction score
Oh, there's more than a couple tents in it. ;) In fact, this one is loaded far too front-heavy, even our dads with Suburbans or F150s don't care for the way it pulls. We've been meaning to fix that one of these days, but it's going to take more doing than you would think. Historically I've pulled our Troop's other trailer with our old GMC Acadia, which is about the same size and capacity but internally arranged in a much more tow vehicle-friendly way.

By the book, the Atlas isn't allowed to pull either of them. If ordered with trailer prep, the manual allows up to 5,000lbs of trailer weight (both are okay) and 500lbs on the tongue (our easy trailer is okay) but the manual specifically prohibits use of more than a 2" ball, and both of them require a 2 5/16" ball. Don't know what that's about, not going to worry about it.

When ordered with trailer prep, it comes pre-wired for a 7-pin socket and an EBC. I guess VW really likes keeping these things worldwide-legit, so they make you install a little NAR 7-pin RV style adapter yourself. Touaregs are allegedly set up the same way. And, I transferred my Tekonsha Prodigy P3 over from the Acadia and it works great. EBC pre-wiring was actually a major contingency I asked our dealer salesguy to track down and verify before money changed hands. Believe me, I don't even like taking our little pop-up camper out without the EBC, there was no way in hell I was touching the Scout trailer without it.

Jason

atlas-07.jpg

atlas-08.jpg

atlas-09.jpg

atlas-10.jpg

@jyoung8607 Did you have to get an adapter to go from the ebc to the plug on the factory pre-wire under the kick plate?

Thanks

Andrew

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
@jyoung8607 Did you have to get an adapter to go from the ebc to the plug on the factory pre-wire under the kick plate?
At the time, I could not find anyone who made an adapter, so I lopped off the vehicle-side connector head, checked the pinouts with the WD and cross-checked with a multimeter, and direct-wired it into the Tekonsha supplied pigtail with heat-shrink crimp connectors. Not the factory-correct way to do it, but serviceable enough. Whoever buys my Atlas when it gets turned in off-lease this week will be getting a complementary Tekonsha EBC pigtail.

It looks like Tekonsha haven't come out with their own yet, but here's someone on eBay building one that looks pretty legit to me:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VW-Atlas-P...e-Controller-Harness-ATLAS-ONLY-/283494635109

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
Installed the b2bfab wookie pipe over the weekend. Sounds awesome :thumbs: . Its pretty quiet in the cabin too, my wife doesn't notice the difference.
Love it!

Meanwhile, here at Southwest Ohio Luxobarge Rescue, wife is complaining about the 2.0T being louder than her old VR6, apparently I'm going to have to invest in some Dynamat.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
wife is complaining about the 2.0T being louder than her old VR6
If it's like our 2018, it does have a surprising growl under certain conditions, but I don't find it unpleasant at all and my women folk haven't complained.

-Uwe-

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
If it's like our 2018, it does have a surprising growl under certain conditions, but I don't find it unpleasant at all and my women folk haven't complained.
It does have a mildly diesel-like note under some load conditions. I don't really find it bothersome, but then again, I'm the guy that leaves the Soundaktor in race mode on his R. She's also complaining about road noise, which I don't think is really up that much, but it's up a little bit. I think it's just the wheel/tire combo, the performance tires on the R-Line. That much I think I can help with Dynamat or similar.

We didn't really need or even want the R-Line stuff, but the way VWoA does packaging for the Tiguan, the SEL Premium R-Line was the only way to get some mission-critical gadgets. On the Atlas, the R-Line stuff was purely a wheels and appearance option we did without.

Anyway, since we own this one, we'll make a proper luxobarge out of it. I'm already annoyed by a couple of subtle de-contented things as compared to the Atlas, so it'll get a couple retrofits along with the sound deadening.

Back