Team Atlas

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
TL;DR: It works. Configuration and usage is identical to a Mk7 Golf.

Factory state: I have that same menu option. Options are all, driver, or none. Keyfob does nothing. Hands-on the car DOES work if that option isn't set to none. Opening can be done with the driver's door open, hold down the driver's window down button for 3 seconds. Ignition does not need to be on. Driver does only the driver window. All does everything: all four windows, the sunroof shade, and the sunroof pops up. Closing is done by holding your finger on the driver's door handle lock touch area.

Desired state: Keyfob open/close works with adaptations to 09. Opening respects the infotainment all/driver/none setting. Security access 31347 is required. There is no label file for 09 at present so you don't get a popup for that. The Golf 7 instructions seemed duplicative and some of this stuff was enabled already, so I spent a few minutes figuring out the exact minimum changes to make the keyfob work:

channel ENG141681-ENG116652-ZV Komfort-Funk Komfort oeffnen, not active -> active
channel ENG141681-ENG116651-ZV Komfort-Funk Komfort schliessen not active -> active

Nothing else seems to be necessary. ENG141681-IDE02021-ZV Komfort-Comfort closing was already active. ENG141681-IDE02022-ZV Komfort-Comfort opening was not, but keyfob control was tested to work without it. Menu control was already set to adjustable.

Last edited:

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC424490
Awesome, thanks!

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
Awesome, thanks!
Glad to help. For other Atlas stuff, I can tell you that most MQB / Mk7 Golf tweaks seem to work on the Atlas just as well. I've now tested this remote window thing, and in the past some minor HVAC tweaks, some infotainment tweaks, and also tested disabling start-stop using the "voltage" method. I actually like start-stop and run with it on, but I successfully tested the disable method in response to questions. I've also finally started seeing other owners fiddle with stuff on the Vortex Atlas forum, mostly minor stuff but some interesting.

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
VW-Teramont-rear-at-2017-Dubai-Motor-Show.JPG.jpg

A "Teramont" at the Dubai Auto Show. That's not confusing at all. Nice work guys.

https://indianautosblog.com/2017/11/vw-teramont-showcased-2017-dubai-motor-show-290886

In addition to literally leaving the Atlas name on it, it's missing some of the other expected Teramont (China version of the Atlas) differences too. It really is just an Atlas, so far as I can tell.

https://volkswagen-me.info/Website/Form/teramont/site/

Last edited:

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
The NMS Passat has it now too.

However, the car magazine reviewers were unimpressed with it in both applications.
I wouldn't put that much stock in complaining from car reviewers. They have to fill column-inches with complaints about something, and that's an easy target. Drive one for yourself and decide.

You should see all the whinging about the Atlas being "underpowered" from those same car reviewers and over the Interweb forums. Ooh, the Honda Pilot does 0-60 faster. So what. That number means nothing to day-to-day drivability. You want a Cayenne, go buy a Cayenne. I normally chuckle at that stuff and move on, but what finally broke me into pulling an xkcd/386 was some guy over on VWVortex insisting the Atlas was so slow, it was going to get him and his family killed when leaving their neighborhood.

The "underpowered" whinging goes on. Meanwhile, two weeks ago I had my Atlas up at the truck stop to find out exactly how far beyond spec I've been towing lately. I had to pull the heavier (when fully loaded with camping gear) of our two Troop trailers the other day, plus it really needs some re-balancing. The Atlas still makes it happen. Made the big rig drivers jealous, I bet. ;)

To: [Troop trailer pullers]
Red trailer: 4340 gross, 720 on the tongue (gross will go up when loaded with Scout gear)

White trailer: 4480 gross, 440 on the tongue (gross will be relatively static for any given trip)

Tongue weights were taken on a level part of my driveway, with a spirit level on the frame, with the scale under the tongue itself (not the jack). They are indeed susceptible to changes in trailer level. Total combination weights were measured by the CAT scale up in Franklin (attached) and then I weighed my Atlas separately to find the trailer weight alone. I also cross-checked my tongue weight measurement with the CAT scale result, subtracting the trailer axle weight from the total trailer weight, and got within +/- 20lbs.

Tongue weight should be between 10% and 15% of the gross trailer weight for best handling, ideally 12%. The white trailer is on the very bottom end of that, but it handles well, and it's helpful to keep it under 500lbs to stay within a mid-size SUV's tongue weight rating. The red trailer is on the very top end of that, in fact it's over when "empty" of camping gear. It's really beyond what my Atlas should be carrying on the rear, especially with passengers. I'm not sure how to fix that yet, but it deserves some thought.

catscale-1.jpg

catscale-2.jpg

catscale-3.jpg

Last edited:

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I wouldn't put that much stock in complaining from car reviewers. They have to fill column-inches with complaints about something, and that's an easy target. Drive one for yourself and decide.
Yeah, I was a bit worried when we got our first Touareg TDI back in 2009. After having had a gasoline powered V8 a few years earlier, I was skeptical that ~225 HP would be adequate. While it certainly wasn't a rocket, there's never been an occasion where I thought it was inadequate. The same is true of our current Touareg TDI (~240hp) and the Passat TDI (~140hp).

Off the original topic, but it's sorta interesting how the front axle shows less weight with the trailers attached. Just how much does the rear of the Atlas sag with those trailers? We need pics!

-Uwe-

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
Off the original topic, but it's sorta interesting how the front axle shows less weight with the trailers attached. Just how much does the rear of the Atlas sag with those trailers? We need pics!
I'm afraid I don't have any good photos of the sag, but... quite a bit. :rolleyes: The white trailer sits her down a ways but I can live with it for the moment. The red trailer sits her down more than I'm comfortable with. On the trip I had to pull that one, I decided to evict three of my six passengers into other caravan vehicles, and move all cargo to the trailer.

The scale balance numbers are a touch pessimistic, but not far off. I had an old Phaeton VPS battery in the cargo area I intended to drop off for recycling later, so that's another 65 pounds or so over the rear. More importantly, the scale's talk-button was intended for use from a big-rig, so I had to get out in order to speak to the weighmaster. So I'm missing about 210 front-biased pounds worth of Atlas operator.

But yeah. There's more than one factor behind tongue weight ratings:

levers-how-do-they-work.jpg

I wanted to add a small weight-distribution rig, but the Atlas owner's manual explicitly forbids it in very strong terms. If this were a keeper, I'd think about having some custom reinforcement done, but it's a lease. That trailer really just needs some internal rearrangement. In years past, the Troop invested some time and effort into a clever internal storage scheme that neglected to consider tongue weight. :banghead: Even our parents with F150s or Suburbans aren't a fan of how it's set up. I think it'll have to be torn out and redone.

I eventually want to fit some helper airbags in the back, to level me out with reasonable tongue load. Cheap easy and reversible. But that won't magically disappear the potential handling and balance issues with the front-heavy one.

Last edited:

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I eventually want to fit some helper airbags in the back, to level me out with reasonable tongue load. Cheap easy and reversible. But that won't magically disappear the potential handling and balance issues with the front-heavy one.
All those years ago, when the 7L Touareg was new, they all had the same towing and tongue weight rating (7700lbs / 770 lbs respectively) regardless of engine or suspension, but the consensus was that if you actually wanted to pull a heavy trailer, you really needed the self-leveling air suspension.

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
Last month we busted out our Matched Luggage for a family trip. That alone gives her some stance... she just has soft springs in the back I guess. This is a standard Hitch Hauler brand device with some upgrades. The same basic thing is available under several brands. We've used this same rig for about ten years across three different SUVs, with a LED trailer light kit retrofitted for extra visibility (plus a few reflector strips on the bins). We don't use this rig nearly as much as we used to, but it's really nice when we need it.

I originally put this back together when we had a short-wheelbase Chevy TrailBlazer that we almost immediately outgrew, and we retrofitted a third row. It was custom-made by an outfit from California (Little Passenger Seats) that did a really kickass job but they have unfortunately since gone out of business. The leatherwork and upholstery matched the truck perfectly, like it was factory. But, we had damn near zero cargo room with it installed, hence the Matched Luggage.

atlas-hitchhauler-1.jpg

atlas-hitchhauler-2.jpg

We don't actually use luggage, our family packs right into these bins. It's much more space efficient, and then we can just carry them out to the truck loaded. It's easier to load and reach than a roof box, and it's out of the wind. We can carry either two bins or four. With two, you can generally open the tailgate. Four still works great except the vehicle tail/brake/turn lamps are partly occluded, hence the trailer LED kit. If we happen to stop at a hotel, all four of them will neatly stack on a single hotel luggage cart and roll right into our room.

When stacked and strapped, none of the lids leak, and we've put many thousands of miles on this rig, in pouring rain and in snow and ice. The ratchet strap pattern will safely withstand breakage or failure of any one of the four straps. Worst problem is I have to replace the ratchet straps every few years because the mechanisms corrode from salt spray.

My only real quibble with this setup on the Atlas is that hooking anything up to the trailer accessory socket sets off trailer detection, which disables Eco driving mode and start-stop, along with rear cross traffic and lane change assist detection from the rear. On our old GMC Acadia, trailer mode was manually activated only if you wanted it, and lane change assist would keep working just fine. Is what it is, I guess.

I'm afraid I don't have any good photos of the sag, but... quite a bit. :rolleyes: The white trailer sits her down a ways but I can live with it for the moment. The red trailer sits her down more than I'm comfortable with. On the trip I had to pull that one, I decided to evict three of my six passengers into other caravan vehicles, and move all cargo to the trailer.

Last week, I got roped into pulling the red trailer to summer camp. I am almost certainly overweight as well as tongue heavy. I adjusted my carpool availability number to ZERO for this. ;)

atlas-redtrailer-1.jpg

atlas-redtrailer-2.jpg

#fatbottomedgirls #stancenation #takingcareofbusiness #bigblockveedubpower

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
"The Family Truckster Rides Again", or

"We don't need no steenkin Terminal 15", or

"This is why I always carry a HEX-NET"

atlas-jayco1206-1.jpg

Collected our pop-up camper last week, and ran it up to Lake Michigan for a family vacation. I think we've hauled six trailer or trailer-like items in the last year with our Atlas.

The weather here is lovely, and we're at a great campground. However, the campground's main step-down transformer took a dump about a day after we got here, so everyone here got about 18 hours of unplanned off-grid camping. The wife likes portable-house style glamping, with air-conditioning, so this was a major issue. Our pop-up doesn't have a house battery (it's on my nigh-infinite Round Tuit list) so we didn't even have lights and fans.

"I wonder if the Atlas supplies +12V aux without the ignition on?" pondered jyoung8607. Backed up the Atlas, wired back up, the answer is yes!

atlas-jayco1206-2.jpg

Last year I converted the camper to LED lighting inside and out. But, I'm not sure how much amperage our little fans draw, so I needed to keep an eye on the Atlas battery. Unfortunately I violated one of my personal rules, which is to carry a multimeter everywhere, especially places where I could not possibly need a multimeter. But I did have a HEX-NET. :)

atlas-jayco1206-3.jpg

Handy remote access to battery state at any time, for the cost of a few extra mAh. Oddly, I could also talk to 19-CAN Gateway. In fact, 19 was perfectly willing to transact business with me at any and all times, including after an overnight spent closed and locked up with the alarm set.

atlas-jayco1206-4.jpg

atlas-jayco1206-5.jpg

atlas-jayco1206-7.jpg

I don't think the current-monitoring stuff was actually working. It didn't budge off 0.000A no matter the load, or even during backfeed charging the next morning after campground AC was back. But, the rest seemed to work well.

No fault codes in 19 when I began this escapade, but after an overnight:

atlas-jayco1206-6.jpg

you-dont-say.jpg

Detached the next morning with the Atlas still locked up. We, and the rest of the campground, discovered the trailer connection is monitored when the alarm is set. :)

Code:
Monday,02,July,2018,17:33:30:21122
VCDS -- Windows Based VAG/VAS Emulator Running on Windows 10 x64
VCDS Version: 18.5.2.0 (x64)  HEX-NET CB: 0.4429.4
Data version: 20180518 DS291.0
www.Ross-Tech.com

VIN: 1V2NR2CA0JC502209   License Plate: 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Address 09: Cent. Elect.  (5Q0 937 085 BG)

17:33:28
  IDE05833-MAS04478   Anti-theft warning system: history data-Cause for alarm activation Trailer alarm

Last edited:

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC424490
Ha! I think there's an Adaptation channel to disable alarm monitoring of trailer. I disabled monitoring of the DLC for similar reasons (gladly no campers nearby).

Reactions: Uwe

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
Ha! I think there's an Adaptation channel to disable alarm monitoring of trailer. I disabled monitoring of the DLC for similar reasons (gladly no campers nearby).
I may look into that. That said, it seems like a good and valuable feature. I want to know if someone tries to abscond with my trailer, or Hitch-Hauler. I just would like to have known that feature was there before yesterday. :)

For DLC monitoring... hmm! I wonder what the triggering conditions are. I hit the Atlas with all sorts of 19 comms plus a full Auto-Scan attempt with the alarm on, with no response. Perhaps a variance in current draw? I wonder what HEX-NET going through sleep/wakeup would trigger.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC424490
Yeah, I would rather people be annoyed at getting woken up, than me getting annoyed by having a stolen trailer. :)

If you want to play this may be it:

IDE04928-ENG115812 Anti-theft device - DWA Camper Modus

I'm not sure what the threshold is for OBD but misery loves company.

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
Yet another invitation to stop by my friendly local dealer: https://www.consumerreports.org/car...s-recalled-because-water-may-triiger-airbags/

Volkswagen is recalling 9,685 of its 2018 Atlas SUVs because the airbags may deploy unintentionally, which could injure the vehicle’s occupants.

The issue stems from an improperly installed air-conditioning drain tube that can leak excess condensation from the SUV’s air- conditioning system onto an airbag control module (essentially the computer chip that determines when airbags should be deployed) instead of draining outside the vehicle. If the airbag control module gets wet, the vehicle’s airbags could deploy unintentionally, Volkswagen says.

Because the twisted tube may also leak water into the passenger compartment, drivers of affected vehicles may notice a foul odor or a wet carpet inside the vehicle. Warning lights, including those for the airbags, may be illuminated on the dashboard, Volkswagen said.

My Atlas isn't even subject to this recall, because the same issue was already looked at and cleared when it was a lower-urgency service action. It got bumped up to a recall when they got a report of uncommanded airbag deployment. But, last week, my wife tells me the airbag idiot light came on a few times...

Code:
                Address 15: Airbags       Labels: 5Q0-959-655.clb
Control Module Part Number: 3Q0 959 655 BC    HW: 3Q0 959 655 BC
  Component and/or Version: Airbag VW21   004 0503
           Software Coding: 8CCCDC00000000005000001A420800000065
            Work Shop Code: WSC 131071 1023 2097151
              ASAM Dataset: EV_AirbaVW21TS6VW48X 001014 (VW41)
                       ROD: EV_AirbaVW21TS6VW48X.rod
                      VCID: 000FC4DE9BF4D74427-8054
1 Fault Found:

9577969 - Sensor Matt for Seat Occupied Detection 
          B1225 F1 [008] - Open Circuit in Shield Wire
          Intermittent - Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
             Freeze Frame:
                    Fault Status: 00000001
                    Fault Priority: 3
                    Fault Frequency: 5
                    Reset counter: 155
                    Mileage: 42383 km
                    Date: 2018.09.19
                    Time: 15:36:55

And upon consulting Erwin today, I discover I'm subject to four more service actions or recalls, one with two criteria. I think that brings me up to 17 now.

atlas-recalls-sep2018.jpg

I already knew they wanted to give me a new emissions compliance sticker, and tell me not to put big heavy child seats in the middle of the second row, but the other two are news to me. On one hand, I actually like the continuous-improvement cycle happening here, that they're proactively reaching out to bring all vehicles they've made up-to-date with various lessons learned. On the other hand, this is starting to get a little out of control...

Off to schedule an appointment and a loaner! :facepalm:

NZDubNurd

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=230482
It's really quite surprising how much trouble VW has with water in the wrong places.

Odd really, considering how well an aircooled Beetle floated!

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC424490
Wow that's a lot of torque. And now for 2019 the 2.0T is available with AWD and non-poverty trims?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Can we put an Atlas 2.0T in my new Tiguan, please? ;)

-Uwe-

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Sadly no, for 2019 it's pushed even further down into absolute poverty trim, FWD S only. May as well not even exist. :cry:
I suppose the marketing geniuses at VW believe that there isn't much of a market in the US for a 4-banger engine in a vehicle in that class.

Back