Are Debug=1024 files appended or overwritten? ...

JulianHicks

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=265735
Guys; I had cause to run some Debug=1024 runs for you recently and assumed that the file names were timestamped. As I had several runs I thought there would be several sets of Debug-x files, somehow identifying each run, but when I finished, there were only one set of files.

As I couldn't interpret them, it's not clear if there's any time data in them so that you can match them to any other log files to which you might want to correlate.

Is it OK to repeatedly run Debug=1024 files without invalidating the data or is the information within appropriately coded with time stamps so that file names don't need to be?

Thanks - Julian

Eric

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC800000
Yup there's time stamps in there, and they're appended. Generally the more experienced testers rename the debug file to "Debug01-ThisHappenedWhenIDidThat.DLM" before carrying out the next experiment.

JulianHicks

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=265735
Yup there's time stamps in there, and they're appended. Generally the more experienced testers rename the debug file to "Debug01-ThisHappenedWhenIDidThat.DLM" before carrying out the next experiment.
OK Eric; thanks for that quick explanation.

Some of us 'more experienced testers' occasionally forget though ... :banghead:

Thanks - Julian

Back