Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: chain drive 2.0T driving me up the wall

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have read the tech tip...

I bet that's exactly what happened.. the spool valve looked perfect inside but it very well could've been replaced.

As much as I'm trying to avoid pulling the cam, I think I'm going to pull the cam adjuster apart and see if the vanes or housing are damaged inside.

Definitely not covered under any warranty since it came from the auction and currently belongs to a used car dealer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just to help out a bit more here... this is a quote from the Tech Tip Jef's post above and my 'correlation check' post refers to, this is the last thing it says:

"Despite the failure found, the repair should include replacement of the camshaft adjuster bridge,intake camshaft and the spool valve adjuster. "
    - Now this was taken out of context and is referring to the inspection of the components where with in the tech tip, the technician will need to:
    "suspect that the screen located in the camshaft adjuster bridge has come apart and lodged itself within the camshaft adjuster spool and the intake camshaft adjuster"
    This is only a quote and is NOT the entire document, as Jef above suggests, it would be advisable to obtain a copy to help put things into perspective as the tech tip intended.

ref: 01-15-08 MIL ON, DTC(s) P0011, P0016, P000A, P0341 and or P052A Stored in ECM Fault Memory

You might be able to find the tech tip document on the erWin website... Official Factory Repair Information

We are all here to help, even Mr.Jack...

drpeter

Post Thanks / Like
    I have read the tech tip...

I bet that's exactly what happened.. the spool valve looked perfect inside but it very well could've been replaced.

As much as I'm trying to avoid pulling the cam, I think I'm going to pull the cam adjuster apart and see if the vanes or housing are damaged inside.

Definitely not covered under any warranty since it came from the auction and currently belongs to a used car dealer.
    - Cool, did not see that post, I bought an auction, non-runner Passat with a CCTA engine and that is where the broken valve pic came from!

So I can relate, we did replace the Cam Bridge, the adjuster and all intake valves. The cylinder head was not too bad, so we cleaned it up.

My son has the vehicle and it is still running strong,

I sure it will all work out fine,

drpeter

NostraJackAss Jack@European_Parts's Avatar
    1001 State Route 17K Montgomery New York 12549
    Post Thanks / Like
    I never called anyone specifically retarded for the record OP.

Yeah good point OP, the SSP could be written better with added clarity.
    What it should say is that the pin is locked to allow oil psi/volume to reach the retarded target, & after the engine commences with start up & being in the most advanced position to start cold.
    You should learn to understand the operations of what you are working on.
    Hence why if no oil PSI is present you get a DTC as being over advanced.

NostraJackAss Has Spoken!
    European Parts Emporium/Performance / Immobilizer Solutions EPE
    Certified Master Trained NY/BAR/BAD 7076062/ASE/SAE/NASTF Legal Factory Authorized/Licensed GeKo/FaZit # 403738
    Specializing in Custom Services IE: "welding-fabrication" / EPA-SMOG Update or Pass-Thru-Programming / Data Transfer / Immobilizers & OEM Quality Parts
    Above Magic! No Written record, AUTO-SCAN or Appointment = NO HELP!
    www.FixMyEuro.com <<<<<CLICK HERE! or vwemporium@aol.com ( JPPSG & Unverified members need not PM me & Please don't email or call facility for free tech support...use the forum )
    Getting you CONTROL again of your property - TAKE IT! In Conjunction with.........

5. Likes DrPeter liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry if I interpreted your comments the wrong way. Sometimes the blunt nature of my comments on forums and in real life interactions gets interpreted as condescending when it's not meant to be that way at all..

I haven't had any of these timing systems screw up other than the chain/guide issues so digging into the control side of this one is a learning experience for sure.. 80% of my VW work is in the diesel world too. I can diagnose cam variator issues on the Ferrari V8's almost with my eyes closed but the INA system on these engines is very different from the F cars..

Post Thanks / Like
    If woody only was well read, his basics would have led him to success......

Last edited by Jack@European_Parts; 05-25-2017 at 09:06 PM.
    Certified Master Trained NY/BAR/BAD 7076062/ASE/SAE/NASTF Legal Factory Authorized/Licensed GeKo/FaZit # 403738
    Specializing in Custom Services IE: "welding-fabrication" / EPA-SMOG Update or Pass-Thru-Programming / Data Transfer / Immobilizers & OEM Quality Parts
    www.FixMyEuro.com <<<<<CLICK HERE! or vwemporium@aol.com ( JPPSG & Unverified members need not PM me & Please don't email or call facility for free tech support...use the forum )
    Getting you CONTROL again of your property - TAKE IT! In Conjunction with.........

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jef View Post
    The issue with oil pressure testing.... there isn't a test port where the cam adjuster is. So while the oil filter may be getting good oil pressure, there could be issues on the top side of the engine.

Run the engine up to temp, let idle, go into 01-08-093.3, what is the value? Do a WOT snap, what does the 3rd field go to?
    So 01-08-093.3 at operating temperature comes down to a different value every time. Seems to be about 50% of the time it comes down and idles smoothly and reads 30-36 degrees, the other half of the time it comes down and idles choppy and it reads 58-62 degrees.

Cold it's always sitting around 60 degrees. It doesn't move from there until it's at full operating temperature and held at 3500rpm for a few seconds.

Probably worth mentioning... If I shut the engine off while it is idling smoothly, it just about refuses to restart. Of I shut it down while it idles choppy it starts right back up..

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pulled the oil pan this evening too.. nothing inside at all. I'm definitely not the first one to have the pan off so I can't tell for sure of there was anything in there previously

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah ...........this sounds oh so very familiar.

Sounds like the bypass valve for the oil pump or oil filter housing check valve is sticking shut forcing unregulated oil PSI causing this condition based on your description after cold shut down.

I would remove the oil pump and the oil filter tower to observe the check valves directly.

What is known as a hydrostatic lock..........

On early cars that had direct lifters which were hydraulic to cam contact, the car would not start at all cold from this same condition throwing the valve timing off considerably.
    In the TSI and TFSI doesn't suffer as much but with the result you describe being roller rocker lever type.

NostraJackAss Has Spoken!

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe I was unclear. It doesn't give any trouble when starting cold.. it's only hard to start after a hot shutdown, and only if it's idling smoothly upon shutdown.

Wouldn't oil pressure be sky high when cold if the bypass valve is stuck?