Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mk5 12v Accessory Sockets (Cigarette Lighters) Dead Short

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    OK, terminal 75A would indeed be a circuit for the lighter(s), and that diode is clearly intended to prevent flow down current track 193, so it makes perfect sense that if this diode is shorted, the fuse for the lighter(s) would blow.

But that still leaves me puzzled as to what's on current track 104 (which 193 leads to)?

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Uwe View Post
    OK, terminal 75A would indeed be a circuit for the lighter(s), and that diode is clearly intended to prevent flow down current track 193, so it makes perfect sense that if this diode is shorted, the fuse for the lighter(s) would blow.

But that still leaves me puzzled as to what's on current track 104 (which 193 leads to)?

-Uwe-
    Late build 2006 White Jetta BRM 5spd. Mile eater.

3. Likes Jack@European_Parts, Uwe liked this post
    NostraJackAss Jack@European_Parts's Avatar
    1001 State Route 17K Montgomery New York 12549
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Remy Martin.....

It is installed to absorb a backward spike especially if someone is installing a DC to AC inverter in the sockets to run a laptop etc. creating "heat" through latent resistance of constant load.

This diode/thermal protection sort of fuse pops to ground or considered a failure mode, this additionally helps prevent a load that will heat up the circuit due to pulling just enough current to heat the wire, but not enough AMPS to blow the fuse.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Failur...nic_components

Helps stop fires!
    European Parts Emporium/Performance / Immobilizer Solutions EPE
    Certified Master Trained NY/BAR/BAD 7076062/ASE/SAE/NASTF Legal Factory Authorized/Licensed GeKo/FaZit # 403738
    Specializing in Custom Services IE: "welding-fabrication" / EPA-SMOG Update or Pass-Thru-Programming / Data Transfer / Immobilizers & OEM Quality Parts
    Above Magic! No Written record, AUTO-SCAN or Appointment = NO HELP!
    www.FixMyEuro.com <<<<<CLICK HERE! or vwemporium@aol.com ( JPPSG & Unverified members need not PM me & Please don't email or call facility for free tech support...use the forum )
    Getting you CONTROL again of your property - TAKE IT! In Conjunction with.........

Post Thanks / Like
    It's just the ground for the socket to complete the connection for the load device used by the accessories & the socket illumination bulb.
    Certified Master Trained NY/BAR/BAD 7076062/ASE/SAE/NASTF Legal Factory Authorized/Licensed GeKo/FaZit # 403738
    Specializing in Custom Services IE: "welding-fabrication" / EPA-SMOG Update or Pass-Thru-Programming / Data Transfer / Immobilizers & OEM Quality Parts
    www.FixMyEuro.com <<<<<CLICK HERE! or vwemporium@aol.com ( JPPSG & Unverified members need not PM me & Please don't email or call facility for free tech support...use the forum )
    Getting you CONTROL again of your property - TAKE IT! In Conjunction with.........

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hah! So the other side goes to ground. Indeed, the only purpose that diode can have is to shunt negative spikes to ground, which would prevent damage to other items on the same circuit should such a spike occur.

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

7. Likes Jack@European_Parts liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you gentlemen for your replies. Much appreciated.

I'm OK with wiring, but electronic components are not really my thing.

I'll grab a new diode next week, there are a couple electronic shops close to my office.

For anybody else that comes across this thread in the future, the diode is in the center console wiring harness, right next to the accelerator pedal.
    (North American model).

Peace & Axle Grease,
    Rem

9. Likes Jack@European_Parts liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    The diode is hardly essential. Everything will work without it.

-Uwe-

11. Likes Jack@European_Parts liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Uwe View Post
    The diode is hardly essential. Everything will work without it.

-Uwe-
    That's good to know Uwe, thanks!

I have the car all back together now, and so far the circuit is working great. I sure did put a lot of hours into this one...lol, good grief. It gave me a chance to clean all of the center console parts and pieces individually, so I'm happy to have gotten that done at least.

Thanks again guys.

13. Likes Uwe, Jack@European_Parts liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's good to know Uwe, thanks!

I have the car all back together now, and so far the circuit is working great. I sure did put a lot of hours into this one...lol, good grief. It gave me a chance to clean all of the center console parts and pieces individually, so I'm happy to have gotten that done at least.

Thanks again guys.
    You could also just install a lower amp fuse and be IDK common sense mindful....................

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack@European_Parts View Post
    You could also just install a lower amp fuse and be IDK common sense mindful....................
    Haha...yes, I suppose so. I could probably get away just fine with a 10a fuse in the circuit for what I do. I keep an iPhone charging a lot of the time, and once in a while one of those Koolatron coolers in the trunk (4 amps?). Worst case scenario would be charging two iPhones at once if I had somebody with me, but that would be a rare case.