Passat B5 starts and idles but no throttle until warm

ivagp

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=95551
Do you guys think this movie's done halfway through, I got to get a refill on my:popcorn:. Hope I won't miss anything:cool:

ivagp

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=95551
Hi op did you understand what Jack just said. Just For Kix move that timing belt one notch in both directions and see what the response is. After moving it make sure you turn one revolution by hand. Also check for code see if it'll set anything.

tdidaho

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=102042
Do you guys think this movie's done halfway through, I got to get a refill on my. Hope I won't miss anything

I sure as hell hope this movie's at least halfway through. Frankly I'm ready for the credits to roll. What started out as an action film has turned into a horror movie. Thanks all for hanging in there.

Hi op did you understand what Jack just said. Just For Kix move that timing belt one notch in both directions and see what the response is. After moving it make sure you turn one revolution by hand. Also check for code see if it'll set anything.

Can I accomplish the same thing by simply loosening the cam sprocket and rotating it as one does when adjusting torsion value? Right now the three cam sprocket nuts are located dead center on the slots. It seems adjusting the sprocket to either extreme would be at least one tooth worth. Or am I totally missing something here?

tdidaho

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=102042
Finally got a chance to mess with the timing today. I loosened the cam sprocket and turned the the camshaft clockwise. The engine was already warmed up and the torsion value had shifted from 0.0 to 2.7. I let the car cool to about 40C and then started it. It started right up and idled smoothly AND the throttle worked! I don't think the throttle has ever worked at that temp.

So I'm not sure what this means but it does seem to point to an issue with the timing as Jack has suggested. Does this confirm that the belt is off a tooth? And if so, which way?

I'm going to let it get cold cold overnight and try it again in the morning. The guy (The TDI Guy in Sacramento) that I hired to do the BSM delete (forgot to plug the port of the BSM), and tune my ECM (fried it and made it unusable), also did my timing belt. Looks like he's 3 for 3. Now I'm wondering if he screwed up anything else related to the BSM delete.

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
So I'm not sure what this means but it does seem to point to an issue with the timing as Jack has suggested. Does this confirm that the belt is off a tooth? And if so, which way?

Yup!
I'm going to let it get cold cold overnight and try it again in the morning. The guy (The TDI Guy in Sacramento) that I hired to do the BSM delete (forgot to plug the port of the BSM), and tune my ECM (fried it and made it unusable), also did my timing belt. Looks like he's 3 for 3. Now I'm wondering if he screwed up anything else related to the BSM delete

Lovely............. I guess he won't be your choice going forward?

Thank you for confirming I was right in this follow up..........OP.
http://forums.ross-tech.com/showthr...ottle-until-warm&p=94034&viewfull=1#post94034

Never underestimate the power of the JPPSG, when properly adhered to......... :rolleyes:

http://forums.ross-tech.com/showthr...essional-Problem-Solver-Guide-quot-JPPSG-quot

NostraJackAss Has Spoken!

tdidaho

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=102042
I still need some help.
I opened up the timing belt today and re-checked the timing belt position (for the fourth time).
When I place the camshaft and crankshaft alignment tools (btw- it looks like pic#1 in post 68) the camshaft pulley seems to be in the proper position- bolts approximately centered in the slots and the hole centered in the toothed slot. If I move the belt one tooth in either direction the bolts end up at the far end of the slots. Is this OK? My understanding (limited) is that the bolts should be roughly centered in the slots with a new timing belt(?).

It's pretty clear that there's something wonky with the set of the timing I just don't understand how to correct it. What am I missing?

I have some photos but don't know how to post them.

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
I still need some help.
I opened up the timing belt today and re-checked the timing belt position (for the fourth time).
When I place the camshaft and crankshaft alignment tools (btw- it looks like pic#1 in post 68) the camshaft pulley seems to be in the proper position- bolts approximately centered in the slots and the hole centered in the toothed slot. If I move the belt one tooth in either direction the bolts end up at the far end of the slots. Is this OK? My understanding (limited) is that the bolts should be roughly centered in the slots with a new timing belt(?).

It's pretty clear that there's something wonky with the set of the timing I just don't understand how to correct it. What am I missing?

I have some photos but don't know how to post them.

Is the wrong belt tooth or size tensioner/roller on the car ........or even wrong water pump with different size cog?

What about key-way on crank or camshaft?

Are you tightening tensioner with slack on wrong side of belt during setup?

Time to verify everything for FOD.

tdidaho

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=102042
bapau8C.jpg
[/IMG]
XG8OO5v.jpg
[/IMG]
AQWHL1B.jpg
[/IMG]
516GZVB.jpg
[/IMG]

Reactions: Uwe

tdidaho

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=102042
Pictures successfully posted.
this morning I will recheck part numbers for idler, tensioner, water pump, and belt.
The keys are from Metalnerd. The last pic shows key in place and the first pic with key removed showing orientation of mark on crank sprocket.
The pin fro the cam sprocket is definitely seated all the way in.
I'm tensioning the belt by turning cam sprocket counter-clockwise, ie tensioning the water pump side.

tdidaho

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=102042
Nothing in those pictures indicates a key-way inspection.

Please enlighten me, what is, and how does one do a "key-way" inspection?

I just checked all the part numbers and everything is correct. The timing belt has the correct number of teeth.
The complete timing belt kit and tools were bought from Dieselgeek.

ivagp

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=95551
What he's trying to say is you need to remove the crank gear and check behind it there's a key way over there that holds the crank gear in the correct position, has that been damaged. I don't know if you have a crank holder from that picture but you definitely need a crank holder to get that bolt on and off unless you use a impact gun, which isn't the right way to put it back on but you can take it off of with a impact gun.

Last edited:

ivagp

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=95551
if you're careful and you have some experience you could do it another way is to remove either number one or number four glow plug whichever one comes out easier. And turn the crank to top dead center, watch the height of the gadget that you put into the hole you need to find the highest point and that should be TDC

ivagp

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=95551
If you do it that alternate way be careful not to break anything inside the chamber or else you'll be in deep smelly stuff.

tdidaho

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=102042
Because I don't have the proper tools to remove the crankshaft sprocket I checked the key-way per ivagp's suggestion through the cylinder one glow plug hole. it's very clearly TDC when the crank sprocket is locked into position with my metalnerd tool.

I called Dieselgeek yesterday to inquire if they've had any problems with their timing belt kits and/or alignment tools. No problems.

I replaced the timing belt this morning being super methodical and attentive, making sure to tension the water pump side of the belt. I then triple checked the alignment (rotated the crank two times around) then placed the cam and crank alignment tools, and they slid in easily and smoothly all three times. I tightened everything down to proper torque and started the car- same old thing, rough idling around 500rpm and no throttle response. Torsion was 0.5, timing very advanced, etc., etc.

Then I decided to move the cam pulley to experiment with different Torsion values. I moved it to the position shown in the picture below, started the car and it fired right up, settled into a smooth idle at 903rpm, AND the throttle worked perfectly, revving smoothly to 3000rpm. The torsion value showed 4.4! WTF?

Anybody? Should I move the cam pulley a whole tooth? If I move it one tooth the cam pulley bolts will be at the edge of their slots- is that OK?
pSpaq5o.jpg
[/IMG]

Zenerdiode

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=24330
I think you have found your problem; and Jack (once again) was on the money all along. A few posts back, Jack asked you to check the keyways. Please read this. A key and keyway keep a sprocket in perfect alignment (or 'time') to a shaft.

So in your case, the crankshaft sprocket and crank maybe in perfect alignment; (and pistons perfectly at TDC) the belt is in perfect time to the camshaft sprocket - however, if the camshaft/sprocket key is missing, misplaced or damaged, the camshaft will not be in time/alignment with the sprocket. Therefore not in time with the rest of the engine - even if the belt and sprockets look that way. This is why shifting a tooth is making it run much better.

As well as the 'straw in the cylinder' to verify TDC; you need the cam cover off to verify the lobes of the camshaft are where they sould be for TDC too. Or check the keyway, as Jack said...

dieselland

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=81033
Another issue I've seen in this vein that can cause problem here is damage to the signal ring on the back side of the cam hub.

These can be damaged if you don't have the correct puller to pop the cam hub off the tapered nose of the cam.

Might also be a good idea to verify that the cam hub is the correct one for the application. Should be part number 038109239

ivagp

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=95551
their are no key ways on that cam

Back