Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Passat B5 starts and idles but no throttle until warm

NostraJackAss Jack@European_Parts's Avatar
    1001 State Route 17K Montgomery New York 12549
    Post Thanks / Like
    Timing belt being out will cause this ...........wouldn't hurt to set it up again.

Doesn't take much when failing to account for the belt slack........
    European Parts Emporium/Performance / Immobilizer Solutions EPE
    Certified Master Trained NY/BAR/BAD 7076062/ASE/SAE/NASTF Legal Factory Authorized/Licensed GeKo/FaZit # 403738
    Specializing in Custom Services IE: "welding-fabrication" / EPA-SMOG Update or Pass-Thru-Programming / Data Transfer / Immobilizers & OEM Quality Parts
    Above Magic! No Written record, AUTO-SCAN or Appointment = NO HELP!
    www.FixMyEuro.com <<<<<CLICK HERE! or vwemporium@aol.com ( JPPSG & Unverified members need not PM me & Please don't email or call facility for free tech support...use the forum )
    Getting you CONTROL again of your property - TAKE IT! In Conjunction with.........

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tdidaho View Post
    Thanks Uwe for the editing. I was trying to put those scans in scrollable windows but couldn't figure it out. Is there somewhere on the Ross-Tech site that explains these things?
    CODE tags as explained here.

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack@European_Parts View Post
    Timing belt being out will cause this ...........wouldn't hurt to set it up again

Doesn't take much when failing to account for the belt slack........
    Would this be consistent with timing being off when cold but normal when warmed up?

Post Thanks / Like
    Would this be consistent with timing being off when cold but normal when warmed up?
    Yup and from your work steps as described for the BSM.
    Did you install a new belt?
    Certified Master Trained NY/BAR/BAD 7076062/ASE/SAE/NASTF Legal Factory Authorized/Licensed GeKo/FaZit # 403738
    Specializing in Custom Services IE: "welding-fabrication" / EPA-SMOG Update or Pass-Thru-Programming / Data Transfer / Immobilizers & OEM Quality Parts
    www.FixMyEuro.com <<<<<CLICK HERE! or vwemporium@aol.com ( JPPSG & Unverified members need not PM me & Please don't email or call facility for free tech support...use the forum )
    Getting you CONTROL again of your property - TAKE IT! In Conjunction with.........

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack@European_Parts View Post
    Yup and from your work steps as described for the BSM.
    Did you install a new belt?
    Yes, a new belt was installed. However I don't have 100% confidence in the mechanic who did the job. Turns out he forgot to plug the oil feed hole for the BSM which I had to go back and do myself. He also screwed up an ECU doing the tune as a Malone dealer. Basically, I got conned. I hired him to do 3 things and I know for a fact he screwed up 2 things. I'd say it's possible, maybe even likely that he screwed up the third (new timing belt) as well.

6. Likes jyoung8607 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, a new belt was installed. However I don't have 100% confidence in the mechanic who did the job. Turns out he forgot to plug the oil feed hole for the BSM which I had to go back and do myself. He also screwed up an ECU doing the tune as a Malone dealer. Basically, I got conned. I hired him to do 3 things and I know for a fact he screwed up 2 things. I'd say it's possible, maybe even likely that he screwed up the third (new timing belt) as well.

Sounds like it smells as if you should leave it "alone" I mean that person who un-helped you....

Time to RTFB a belt and check basics ........people screw this up pretty routine and call themselves "professionals".

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Finally got around to checking the timing belt today. All is as it should be. So back to square zero. Any other suggestions out there?

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you tried a stock ecu and or flash to see if anti tuning or the config is being blocked from performing due to horseshit code or swap work........or deletes?

10. Likes Zenerdiode liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    As I wrote before I have 2 ECUs that I do trust and that don't seem to make a difference in how the car runs. One is a completely stock (with AT tune) that has had the Immobilizer deleted so it will work in my car, and the other has been re-tuned (MT and Stage 2 tune) and adapted to the immobilizer. Both ECUs have been programmed by highly competent and reputable tuners.
    Regardless which ECU I use the car starts and runs poorly with very advanced timing and no throttle response until it warms to 56-58C at which point the timing suddenly becomes normal, the throttle works, and the car runs and revs as it should. Swapping the ECUs have no effect on this pattern.

Post Thanks / Like
    Both ECUs have been programmed by highly competent and reputable tuners.
    It's FOD until verified stock...........JPPSG NJA Title 3 Section 2

http://forums.ross-tech.com/showthre...uot-JPPSG-quot
    Regardless which ECU I use the car starts and runs poorly with very advanced timing and no throttle response until it warms to 56-58C at which point the timing suddenly becomes normal, the throttle works, and the car runs and revs as it should. Swapping the ECUs have no effect on this pattern.
    Recheck your cam-belt work..............

Additionally see JPPSG NJA Title 3 section 1