TDI 18447/P2015/008213 - Intake Manifold Flap Position Sensor

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
TDI CR etc.. 18447/P2015/008213 - Intake Manifold Flap Position Sensor (Bank 1): Implausible Signal

As promised.......... I had time today during a repair.

How to fix the code correctly & without some stupid bracket or with one to the tune of .50 cents + my two cents.
Sorry Diesel Dike, you have to kiss my ass on this one.

Remove intake flap motor to bench unit & or just cover in car to drill one hole and insert a spring roll pin.

Remove all things that are in the way such as air box etc.. using common sense.

Remove plastic intermediate gear from motor to flap mechanism.

Now move flap into half way position and secure with pins or clamps.

Center punch the aluminum and drill the spot as shown in picture.

Insert spring pin and tap in with hammer then adjust as needed, further reinstall the aforementioned gear.

Reinstall the cover and or the entire unit back in car & you are done, other than adaptions or DTC cleared in VCDS.

Second repair can be done by drilling & tapping one hole & by adding a small piece of sheet metal that is adjustable on same side as the actuator arm as pictured.

NostraJackAss Has Spoken!

https://s14.postimg.cc/87y9h3xgx/INTAKE_PINPING.png

INTAKE_PINPING.png

Last edited by a moderator:

GaryM

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=226919
Out of interest, what actually breaks to cause the implausible signal, and why is there a need to install a spring pin and a custom bracket, neither of which were there in the first place? If these need to be added to fix the problem then why weren't they needed when the unit was originally designed and manufactured?

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Out of interest, what actually breaks to cause the implausible signal, and why is there a need to install a spring pin and a custom bracket, neither of which were there in the first place? If these need to be added to fix the problem then why weren't they needed when the unit was originally designed and manufactured?

Hey Gary,

The internal "stop seat" for base position wears or breaks allowing the travel to exceed the threshold compared to when it is new.

The casting block is where is ends up hitting when damaged.

I have been fixing with just a PIN in the car for 8 years, however, no one would ever take the time to listen.....the same can be done externally in inverse.
Recently I recanted to a forum post about it and the OP asked for a picture, so I told him when I got around to it.... I'd post it being today.

I just wanted to show everyone that yes it can be done, the way I state & on the cheap, far cleaner and with no external bracket needed, further can be done in the car in minutes; without removing the spring or linkage, which many damage from lack of mechanicals for experience.

As for why VAG has allowed for such a part to be produced without a revision is their own stupidity.
Changing the design admits fault no?

I speculate if I had posted this in the Whoretex today, it would of been vacated & because when I did 6 years ago, it was in fact removed to protect parts sellers that advertise.

GaryM

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=226919
That's a great explanation and such a simple fix to perform with a bit of care. Thanks Jack :thumbs:

D-Dub

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=272151
fyi, they did change the design for the gas intake manifold.

I posted a link to a video a month or so ago, although no idea if the same can be applied to TDI models.

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
fyi, they did change the design for the gas intake manifold.

I posted a link to a video a month or so ago, although no idea if the same can be applied to TDI models

This is TDI and yes I have done it for gas models too........

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Do you know I have never sold any of my customers a new intake flap motor for a TDI, and just installed a pin in theirs for free when doing the actual maintenance?

I didn't need to make it a business model or profit from it.

Did you know the same can be done to TDI turbo charger controllers on some applications that people get big bucks for & I actually have the tools to set those up while many dealers didn't have it.

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Just an update to this thread, sometimes I install two spring pins one on top as in picture you see and one on bottom now too.

Additionally.......... I install a thin rubber bumper made from vacuum hose too & slide this over the pin so when the tips hit they don't crash causing a resonance.

Reactions: Uwe

JSWTDI09

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=96924
Just an update to this thread, sometimes I install two spring pins one on top as in picture you see and one on bottom now too.

Additionally.......... I install a thin rubber bumper made from vacuum hose too & slide this over the pin so when the tips hit they don't crash causing a resonance.

Jack, are you aware that a guy in Texas has engineered a little P2015 fix bracket that both fixes and prevents this problem. It's less that $65, and relatively easy to install.
https://www.dieselgeek.com/collections/common-rail-tdi-p2015-manifold-fix

Have Fun!

Don

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Jack, are you aware that a guy in Texas has engineered a little P2015 fix bracket that both fixes and prevents this problem. It's less that $65, and relatively easy to install.

Have Fun!

Don

Don,

I am and are you aware my idea costs people less time, since Intake flap cover can be removed & can be center punched/drilled and installed in the car in place and for less than 50 Cents versus $65 USD & total time 5 minutes or at most half hour for a moron?

Did you also know I make nothing on this mod & is given freely? :rolleyes:

Did you know you can tap a hole with a small bolt installed and add a cam leaver with jam not & so anyone can dial in adjustment for guys that are bad at measuring things too? :p

Do you know how many guys call after they broke the linkage rod or lost spring story when doing the way you pointed too?

JSWTDI09

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=96924
Don,

I am and are you aware my idea costs people less time, since Intake flap cover can be removed & can be center punched/drilled and installed in the car in place and for less than 50 Cents versus $65 USD & total time 5 minutes or at most half hour for a moron?

Did you also know I make nothing on this mod & is given freely? :rolleyes:

Did you know you can tap a hole with a small bolt installed and add a cam leaver with jam not & so anyone can dial in adjustment for guys that are bad at measuring things too? :p

Do you know how many guys call after they broke the linkage rod or lost spring story when doing the way you pointed too?

Jack
A simple "yes" would have been sufficient, but since you asked:
I was not aware of your "fix" when I had the P2015 issue years before this thread was started. It would have saved me money.
I am not a mechanic, so I do not have your experience. I'm just a retired computer nerd.
A friend and I (he is a mechanic, an aircraft mechanic) installed the DG fix bracket on his car and mine in 2014 (I think). He did the mechanic work and I used VCDS to measure the position of the actuator. I realize that the spring is easy to lose if you're not careful, but if you know what you are doing the bracket can be installed without removing anything except for one screw in 10 minutes or less.
Please forgive my feeble attempt at being helpful.

Have Fun!

Don

P.S. Your link in post 1 is broken (connection timed out).

Last edited:

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I realize that the spring is easy to lose if you're not careful, but if you know what you are doing the bracket can be installed without removing anything except for one screw in 10 minutes or less.
Please forgive my feeble attempt at being helpful.
Personally, I would feel more comfortable with a bolt-on than drilling into the thing. ;)

-Uwe-

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
It was just an alternate approach is what I'm saying and cheaper.
Some people are not nerds with a full wallet of credit cards & don't have the money either. They can drill a hole though or find a friend that can.

DanM

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=437916 (NSY)
I can certainly agree that your solution has far lower cost and is every bit as effective. Sadly, at least for the near term, I lack the machine shop resources that I once had since my dad retired from the tool and die business and moved here to Florida. Thanks for providing the disassembled view as that makes it clear that things won't fly in all directions if you take it apart.

I can see that you contribute a lot of your knowledge here and I want to express my appreciation for that as I expect I will learn a lot about my cars from you.

Thanks,
Dan

MartyPongo

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=495425
Hey Gary,

The internal "stop seat" for base position wears or breaks allowing the travel to exceed the threshold compared to when it is new.

The casting block is where is ends up hitting when damaged.

I have been fixing with just a PIN in the car for 8 years, however, no one would ever take the time to listen.....the same can be done externally in inverse.
Recently I recanted to a forum post about it and the OP asked for a picture, so I told him when I got around to it.... I'd post it being today.

I just wanted to show everyone that yes it can be done, the way I state & on the cheap, far cleaner and with no external bracket needed, further can be done in the car in minutes; without removing the spring or linkage, which many damage from lack of mechanicals for experience.

As for why VAG has allowed for such a part to be produced without a revision is their own stupidity.
Changing the design admits fault no?

I speculate if I had posted this in the Whoretex today, it would of been vacated & because when I did 6 years ago, it was in fact removed to protect parts sellers that advertise.

Hi Jack,
Thank you for detailing this practical solution. My son and I just wrapped up a CP3 conversion on a 2011 Golf TDI that we acquired recently with a blown HPFP. It had the following three code issues when we got it running.

3 Faults Found:
011174 - NOx Emissions Exceeded
P2BA6 - 000 - SCR Catalyst Malfunction
006744 - NOx Catalyst
P1A58 - 000 - Regeneration Required
008213 - Intake Manifold Flap Position Sensor (Bank 1)
P2015 - 003 - Implausible Signal

I'm assuming the prior owner drove the car until it had to be towed home resulting in the first two codes, and that they can be cleared up by driving the car on the highway for a while. The third code sounds like the situation you describe resolving in this post. I'm wondering the size of the roll pin you recommend using, and how do I know the exact location where the hole needs to be drilled.

Many thanks for your contribution to the greater good and your response.

Best,, Marty

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
As the link is dead. Just replace the .org with .cc & hey presto the image can be viewed.

I've gone and fixed it the original ~5 year old post. :thanks:

-Uwe-

Back