ETKA alternative - perhaps?

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
4th!

While I agree that being able to freely search for and identify parts and associated information necessary to making a purchase of said parts should be free, I would also like to submit another potential similar example of VW's business process;

Some companies used to have catalogs that you had to pay for (the catalog itself), before you could buy any of the items within the catalog.

I can't remember what specific company(s) used to do it, or if they are even still in business (hah probably not).

Likewise, I think there are also websites, that you must be a paid member, before you can utilize said website to order stuff from said website.

So, paying something just to get access to pay for something more, is well I guess part of that whole free market economy.

Of course as they say, information wants to be free.

D-dub: If I can respectfully add a point of distinction to your example - an important difference between VW's "Strip-club" model and your webpage analogy is informed-consent (IMO).

Allow me to explain, the requirement that money be paid to a webpage service (as you describe) is primary to the business of the webpage seller and the buyer. Anyone wanting to use this service knows the condition of sale from the outset - and I suspect that the act of agreeing to pay a fee to enter the site is made with full knowledge of the cost of doing so - against the inherent value of using the site - before agreeing to use the primary purpose for the service.

However, the "strip-club" model is importantly different when applied to the VW's spare parts service: in this case, the sale process is secondary to the primary act of purchasing the vehicle. Once the car is bought, the prospective spare parts purchaser is captured as the service is a necessary adjunct (for DIY VW owners) of the need to occasionally repair the vehicle. With minor exceptions, the hapless private DIY-er has no other option when sourcing a genuine spare part.

Now I'm certain that most folk that use this forum are well aware of how the VW spare parts model works, but I don't believe that this constitutes informed consent to the great-unwashed proletariat (example - me!) that buys VW vehicles.

My thesis is that in the case of the "strip-club" model this does NOT constitute informed consent - but rather it is a rudimentary form of "commercial-ransom' (yes, this analogy is perhaps a tad harsh - but it is nevertheless not-inappropriate IMO)

So, don't get me wrong - would I not have purchased my Golf if I had known about this extortionist practice? Probably not, but this doesn't in any way justify the practice (IMO)

Don

Last edited:
Reactions: Uwe

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
D-dub: If I can respectfully add a point of distinction to your example - an important difference between VW's "Strip-club" model and your webpage analogy is informed-consent (IMO).

Allow me to explain, the requirement that money be paid to a webpage service (as you describe) is primary to the business of the webpage seller and the buyer. Anyone wanting to use this service knows the condition of sale from the outset - and I suspect that the act of agreeing to pay a fee to enter the site is made with full knowledge of the cost of doing so - against the inherent value of using the site - before agreeing to use the primary purpose for the service.

However, the "strip-club" model is importantly different when applied to the VW's spare parts service: in this case the sale process is secondary to the primary act of purchasing the vehicle. The prospective purchaser is captured and the spare parts service is a necessary adjunct (for DIY VW owners) of the need to occasionally repair the vehicle. With minor exceptions, the hapless private DIY-er has no other option when sourcing a genuine spare part.

Now I'm certain that most folk that use this forum are well aware of how the VW spare parts model works, but I don't believe that this constitutes informed consent to the great-unwashed proletariat that buys VW vehicles.

My thesis is that in the case of the "strip-club" model this does NOT constitute informed consent - but rather it is a form of "commercial-ransom'!

Don

Meh .........:cool:

The courts here decided a long time ago that a manufacturer part #s ..........are in fact copy written material when used to ref their IP or cataloging system that is proprietary to their successful business model.

That is why parts houses use their own part #s and have been successfully sued when they do use them without permission or paid for under contract.

How are you captured if the part number is stamped on every piece?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Because more times than not these days, the original part number has been superseded several times. So even if you can find a part with the original number, you're not getting the correct, latest & greatest part. And you know bloody well that if the original is 123-456-789-A, that there's a good chance that 123-456-789-B is totally inappropriate to use, that the actual of superseded version of -A might very well be -H, and the one after that might be -BC. Thus access to the current parts catalog is pretty much a must for anyone doing workmanlike repairs.

-Uwe-

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Because more times than not these days, the original part number has been superseded several times. So even if you can find a part with the original number, you're not getting the correct, latest & greatest part. And you know bloody well that if the original is 123-456-789-A, that there's a good chance that 123-456-789-B is totally inappropriate to use, that the actual of superseded version of -A might very well be -H, and the one after that might be -BC. Thus access to the current parts catalog is pretty much a must for anyone doing workmanlike repairs.

-Uwe-

Yes, however, doesn't a parts guy at any franchise do that for you for free, when you request it and documentation to support it & is required to do it as part of their franchise agreement.

Just because a part # is superseded doesn't mean it is always better or a revision..........not a good assumption.
It may just in fact be a different contract supplier to the OEM.

Just playing devils advocate............:D

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
Meh .........:cool:

The courts here decided a long time ago that a manufacturer part #s ..........are in fact copy written material when used to ref their IP or cataloging system that is proprietary to their successful business model.

That is why parts houses use their own part #s and have been successfully sued when they do use them without permission or paid for under contract.

Jack: I respect your knowledge and experience in these matters - but (with respect), you need to understand the plight of the "little-people". I like to know this information before I spend time stripping the car apart - and often, I prefer to actually have the replacement component in my hands before I start the job. Also, for folk that want to upgrade their components, identifying the existing component number isn't useful!

However, being able to see a part number on an existing component isn't really what 's at issue here - the real problem is the business ethics behind the "strip club model (IMO)

Don

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Jack: I respect your knowledge and experience in these matters - but (with respect), you need to understand the plight of the "little-people". I like to know this information before I spend time stripping the car apart - and often, I prefer to actually have the replacement component in my hands before I start the job. Also, for folk that want to upgrade their components, identifying the existing component number isn't useful!

However, being able to see a part number on an existing component isn't really what 's at issue here - the real problem is the business ethics behind the "strip club model (IMO)

Don

Identifying the original part in a car is absolutely useful because it could be "wrong" and it should always be authenticated to be correct to begin with before checking if something just supersedes.

What people really need to do is adhere to a strict process such as the JPPSG & when doing upgrades or just swapping shit around.

I see all too often people trying to install the wrong parts using the methods you site...........FAIL!

Here is a recent example..........and he used a pirated VCDS cable go figure and one of these hacked EPC etka online things.

Now this asshole wanted to install 07K-906-055Q and in his scan below he has 07K-906-032BJ

Just do a Google search why comparing pictures of the controller.........okay your turn Don!

Code:
Friday,21,April,2017,17:21:37:62939
VCDS -- Windows Based VAG/VAS Emulator
VCDS Version: Release 12.12.0 (x64)
Data version: 20130910

VIN: 3VWRM71K88MXXXXXX   License Plate: FSN4069
Mileage: 136810km-85009mi   Repair Order: 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chassis Type: 1K (1K0)
Scan: 01 02 03 08 09 0F 15 16 17 19 25 42 44 46 52 56 62 65 72

VIN: 3VWRM71K88MXXXXXXX   Mileage: 136810km/85009miles

01-Engine -- Status: Malfunction 0010
02-Auto Trans -- Status: Malfunction 0010
03-ABS Brakes -- Status: OK 0000
04-Steering Angle -- Status: OK 0000
08-Auto HVAC -- Status: OK 0000
09-Cent. Elect. -- Status: Malfunction 0010
0F-Digital Radio -- Status: Malfunction 0010
15-Airbags -- Status: Malfunction 0010
16-Steering wheel -- Status: Malfunction 0010
17-Instruments -- Status: OK 0000
19-CAN Gateway -- Status: Malfunction 0010
25-Immobilizer -- Status: OK 0000
42-Door Elect, Driver -- Status: OK 0000
44-Steering Assist -- Status: OK 0000
46-Central Conv. -- Status: Malfunction 0010
52-Door Elect, Pass. -- Status: OK 0000
56-Radio -- Status: Malfunction 0010
62-Door, Rear Left -- Status: Sporadic communication error 1000
65-Tire Pressure -- Status: OK 0000
72-Door, Rear Right -- Status: Sporadic communication error 1000

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 01: Engine (CBT)       Labels: 06A-906-032-BGP.lbl
   Part No SW: 07K 906 032 BJ    HW: 07K 906 032 Q
   Component: 2,5l R5/4V      G   1567  
   Revision: 1NH01---    Serial number: VWX7Z0G924F1E2
   Coding: 0000003
   Shop #: WSC 65728 1018 854933
   VCID: 72EB3C436D5AFA8E927-8027

Sincerely,

Jack Shapiro E.P.E. 
VAS>Geko ASE Extern  
7076062 NYS DMV 
SAE>NASTF 

European Parts Emporium  
 Immobilizer Solutions 
1001 State Route 17K 
Montgomery New York 12549 USA 

vwemporium@aol.com 

845-457-9808 TEL/FAX 
845-784-0335 Net 

-----Original Message-----
From: European Parts / Immobilizer Solutions <vwemporium@aol.com>
To: eric.XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXvwemporium <vwemporium@aol.com>
Sent: Fri, Apr 21, 2017 11:28 pm
Subject: Re: Immobilizer

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Eric,

I think I am going to pass on this because this car doesn't qualify for a VIN transfer, further being modified & you haven't done your homework properly for such a conversion......the data is inconsistent!

The only thing I can offer is an off road unit" stock" for this config for the race track & no VIN.

Meh......Not interested in working on your wrong speculated used supplied equipment.

The engine part # 07K-906-055Q you supplied for this request & quoted is not compatible with your emissions tier for VIN break or vehicle..........

Now if you want to pay for consultation to research your equipment submitted and prepaid that is another story.

Please let me know and be glad I didn't make you prepay to only deny you for failure to do your research like others do!

I do have a conscience...........

Best,

Jack Shapiro E.P.E. 
VAS>Geko ASE Extern  
7076062 NYS DMV 
SAE>NASTF 

European Parts Emporium  
 Immobilizer Solutions 
1001 State Route 17K 
Montgomery New York 12549 USA 

vwemporium@aol.com 

845-457-9808 TEL/FAX 
845-784-0335 Net 

-----Original Message-----
To: European Parts / Immobilizer Solutions <vwemporium@aol.com>
Sent: Fri, Apr 21, 2017 9:38 pm
Subject: Re: Immobilizer

Jack,

Here is the information you requested. I have attached an image of my PR-Build tag and VCDS Auto-Scan.

As far as modifications, I have a custom intake and aftermarket catback. The intake is all spectre parts, including the plastic and silicone connectors, and the filter. The MAF is in its original OEM housing right after the filter. The catback is AWE Tuning's Mk5 Jetta performance exhaust, track edition.

I have a tune on my ECU, but I will be reverting it back to stock to swap the ECU's.

The problem I have is with my most recent modification. I swapped out my automatic 09g for a standard 02q. I purchased the parts for the swap and the trans from Darkside Developments. I can give you the details on the swap if necessary, but I have already identified my problem as an ECU compatibility issue. The ECUs for standard Volkswagens come with different software than those with an automatic. Others who have done the same swap on their Mk5 VW's have had to purchase an ECU flashed for a standard in order to get rid of the error codes. I had no prior error codes before the swap, and the error codes I have now are related to the TCU and missing auto trans. One of them is "Cold Start Idle Air Control System P050A", but this is more recent and is most likely a separate issue. I will be looking into it.

I know my charging system and battery work, as my car will start up fine. Just to be safe, I looked at my fuses and they are all fine. I think that's as far as it goes for your JPPSG.

You are able to provide a remanufactured ECU for as little as $1050. Would I be able to provide my own 07K-906-055Q, in used condition, for you to code the 4-pin code and VIN? Does providing my own incur any extra service fees?

Eric

On Fri, Apr 21, 2017 at 3:57 PM, European Parts / Immobilizer Solutions <vwemporium@aol.com> wrote:
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Hello Eric, JPPSG data is required to commence and letter of record from the EPA administrator granting permission to do your swap after config is authenticated for emissions tier compliance.
  • I need it to be an on road vehicle as it is my daily driver.
  • You mentioned that you have stock ECU's available, what am I looking at for part #07K 906 055Q?
Part No: 07K-906-055Q Thank you for the inquiry Reman Unit $1000.00 + $50.00 Shipping (USPS Priority Mail 2- 3 Days) + $100.00 Shipping (USPS Priority Express Mail 1-2 Days) New Unit $1500.00 + $50.00 Shipping (USPS Priority Mail 2- 3 Days) + $100.00 Shipping (USPS Priority Express Mail 1-2 Days Please provide the data. Best, Jack Shapiro E.P.E. VAS>Geko ASE Extern 7076062 NYS DMV SAE>NASTF European Parts Emporium Immobilizer Solutions 1001 State Route 17K Montgomery New York 12549 USA vwemporium@aol.com 845-457-9808 TEL/FAX 845-784-0335 Net -----Original Message----- From: Eric XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX To: European Parts <vwemporium@aol.com> Sent: Fri, Apr 21, 2017 4:01 pm Subject: Re: Immobilizer Hello Jack, I am trying to figure out my options for the ECU swap.
  • I need it to be an on road vehicle as it is my daily driver.
  • You mentioned that you have stock ECU's available, what am I looking at for part #07K 906 055Q?
  • Am I able to provide the ECU to have my immobilizer data transferred to?
  • From what I understand, I'll need to send you the ECU I have now, my instrument cluster, and my keys to complete the swap, yes?
  • Lastly, can I get a quote on the swap?
Thanks, Eric On Mon, Mar 20, 2017 at 3:26 PM, European Parts <vwemporium@aol.com> wrote:
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Hello Eric, Attached is the conformity EPA certificate application and COC, which shows that this car may be converted under the same applications rules for a Stick manual or Automatic transmission. https://iaspub.epa.gov/otaqpub/publist2.jsp?docid=18501 We can help with this for an off road controller or on road being stock as described in the application. Off road units can not have a VIN and there are modified units available fitting that criteria. There are also new stock factory units, which we can absolutely transfer your immobilizer on. Best, Jack Shapiro E.P.E. VAS>Geko ASE Extern 7076062 NYS DMV SAE>NASTF European Parts Emporium Immobilizer Solutions 1001 State Route 17K Montgomery New York 12549 USA vwemporium@aol.com 845-457-9808 TEL/FAX 845-784-0335 Net -----Original Message----- From: European Parts <vwemporium@aol.com> To: eric.XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXvwemporium <vwemporium@aol.com> Sent: Sun, Mar 19, 2017 10:14 pm Subject: Re: Immobilizer [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Hello Eric, Is this for off road use or public highway use? You will in fact lose your tune for your ecu currently. Off road equipment is possible and No VIN is permitted and the Immobilizer is shut off to comply with off road conformity. What part # are you looking for? Please see all below for what I require and how I do stuff if it applies to you. In your case you will need a proper stock controller and an off road race controller for competition. ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::" ECM CORES ARE REQUIRED TO BE SENT IN ADVANCE ":::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: Please see address below to send in core. DATA TRANSFER OFFERED FOR FREE - Plug & Play with most controllers we sell. Special note to the lazy...... In regards to, "all" high security work, "repair", "warranty" or "quotes" for parts.......This is not meant or directed at anyone and is a generalization. The "Ultimate" rule of this company and to maintain fairness: Failure to maintain a proper paper trail with continuity for the following, "Improper payments", to "alter", or "truncate" an email/documentation, creating a"forged instrument", or disrupting the chain........ is forbidden! Doing this will result in immediate termination of communications, and we will not help you! Don't lie to me! What I am saying here is don't lie to me in general, no one is being called a liar until I catch them. I can only help people that allow me to do it by using the JPPSG system below. We accept a few different payment methods for control units. Please also see services below. A. United States Postal Service Money order ( ONLY ) is my preferred payment method payable to ( Jack Shapiro ) or B. Paypal, paid to this email address ( vwemporium@aol.com ) only, confirmed identity, and shipping identities. http://www.paypal.com/ We are also happy to send a paypal request to you, however, you must provide your paypal data in order to do so. C. Western Union with MTCN and all fees to be paid by you, payable to ( Jack Shapiro ). NOTE FOR THIRD PARTY PAYMENTS & UNCONFIRMED SHIPPING LOCATIONS. Option A or C ........are the only accepted payment terms, if you request us to ship to alternate address, or areas outside the USA where no insurability is possible.....! Attention people with tuned or altered SMOG controllers! All aftermarket tuning or computer improvement requests are Illegal, whether for identity transfer, or for public road highway use! This can not be used on a public highway, unless you provide a valid exemption, by means of the EPA, and or CARB certificate, further that can be authenticated to be in compliance for conformity! There can be no requests for identity writing of a VIN # or Immobilizer information for these vehicle's, and they must display in controllers EEPROM, that the unit is for OFF ROAD USE! For this reason, we recommend a second controller that is not swappable for the Competition, or Off Road Race sanctioned events. NO Exceptions! Anything said to the contrary would be a gross misrepresentation. Please see this link for a better understanding. https://www.epa.gov/enforcement/air-enforcement#engines Cars can be converted to a real race car, for the race track or sanctioned competition off road events, emission devices are not permitted to be removed, even for off road racing. Please see link here: https://www3.epa.gov/otaq/regs/nonroad/2002/f02045.pdf
40 CFR 1068.101 (4)(B) Manufactured and Sold Expressly for Non-Road Vehicles Used Solely for Competition. Racing, Modified Racing Exhaust Testing an Tuning Diagnostics ONLY. Not sold For Use On Production Street Vehicles ("on road" or "on highway" vehicles).
A list of standard services: Please authenticate the service you wish : Legal forms may be downloaded. Typically we request for you to send us the following components to authenticate, + operate here on a rolling road simulator. !::::::::::::::::::::::::: "NO DUAL IDENTITIES PERMITTED" ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::! Old engine ECU and or new for data transfers. The old and new Cluster, "ALL Keys in current custodial care to vehicle or new additional supplied keys ". Component Protection ( CP ) requires Kessy or additional controllers. Most of the work we do here is plug and play, other than requests for SKC PIN's. Additional Key marry $100 USD, if during existing session $50 USD + costs of respective key or keys. ECU firmware updates are $350 USD ECU Geko sessions are $350 USD. Data transfer of old identity to new or used controller. $350 USD for MED9/EDC16 and MED/EDC17 ME7, EDC15 ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: This session allows for use of old keys and no legal forms required :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: ( Core is required submitted for destruction, or to be stripped of identity to be additionally paid for. ) ECU strip of VIN and Immobilizer data fee is $250 USD ECU defeat sessions are $500 USD.......... with VIN write and paper trail. ECU defeat without VIN write is outright $500 USD and your name to be written to ECU eeprom. ( !FOR OFF ROAD USE ONLY! ) Encrypted SEVEN digit pin ( SKC ) is $250 USD good for one day only; and with paper work or documentation submitted. FOUR digit ( SKC ) is $500 USD good any day. Attention : We assign a new PIN for you, for used units submitted, this way no chance of getting pin for another vehicle. Custom SKC PIN you specify for your car $500 USD. Component Protection ( CP ) for Air bag units, Kessy, Engine/Trans ecu, or cluster. Session are $500 USD This includes all PIN's If additional work is required for water damaged flooded controllers for data extraction..... these fees will be TBD in addition to exam fees as described below for controller repair! Mail in address with documents if required for service. Shipping fee standard for all above is 50 USD with expedited freight, carefully packed, insured; & signature request, + varies depending on how many controllers/weight. Special NOTE: If this is an ebay Inquiry please use the ebay mail system and do your purchase through ebay. If you are in the State of New York, tax exempt. Please provide the required credentials, to " authenticate" ; otherwise the tax rate is 8.125% for Orange County. Please let me know if I can be of any additional assistance. Thank you for your inquiry. Signature request and use of USPS insured recommended for incoming modules or cores. Always advise of tracking information/shipper used in, via email here at : vwemporium@aol.com Payments are Western Union MTCN, USPS money order, payable to "Jack Shapiro" or Paypal with a verified confirmed address only. Email us for a billing request. C/O Jack Shapiro 1001 State Route 17K Montgomery New York 12549 USA Computer repair and or swaps: Cores are required in advance, even if flooded for CP transfer and config verification. I supply a forensic examination report of the old unit, which in some cases, could help aid a tech with a repair before install of a new, or reconditioned unit. ECU's fail usually for an underlined condition, such as short, flood, ground condition, or supply voltage issue. If not corrected beforehand, you will ultimately damage a new unit. In some cases the data I find is very comprehensive and helpful. This exam is not a always guaranteed, however, in most cases I can get the data or helpful information to recommend. THIS IS ALSO USED TO DETERMINE A QUOTE TO REPAIR.... TBD! Including research for Off Road Race Competition Vehicles or a swap of driveline meets this same criteria. Cost up front of $350 + $50 USD return shipping in advance before report released dispatched via email. Freight outside the USA is $100-150 USD. This fee is applied towards your purchase of above, "if made". My hourly rate for tech support is $100 USD an hour, per phone call in advance via PayPal or WU MTCN Special NOTE: If this is an ebay Inquiry please use the ebay mail system and do your purchase through ebay. If you are in the State of New York, tax exempt, please provide the required credentials to authenticate otherwise the tax rate is 8.125% for Orange County. Please let me know if I can be of any additional assistance. Thank you for your inquiry. Shipping in address is: C/O Jack Shapiro European Parts Emporium 1001 State Route 17K Montgomery 845-457-9808 Helpful Tip guide and gathering of information to help you! Jacks Professional Problem Solver Guide. "JPPSG" Make / Model / Year / Edition. Step 1 Tag of PR-Build data picture posted ???? Looks like this......... This is located in trunk/spare tire area and in first page of service book. Step 2 Status of car stock or modified in any way? If so list! ???? Step 3 VAS/ODIS OEM or "VCDS" COMPLETE Auto-Scan in code tags! Step 4 Describe recent repairs or services, problem at hand, & attempts at repair.????? Step 5 Are parts OEM or AFT? If so, "what", and what origin????? Step 6 Identify specific issues to be addressed/concerned about, or say ALL? Step 7 Verify if campaigns for recall, TSB, Service Action exist for any conditions related to problem. Step 8 Now that you jumped through the first few hoops of fire, did you check the FUSES/Battery connections? Good Information Guideline. 1 Focus discussion on symptom description! 2 Ask questions that clarify what, when, where, & frequency. 3 Summarize your understanding & get agreement from colleagues. 4 Explain what you will do to proceed, & get my acknowledgement. 5 Do you have a proper repair manual? If not get one! www.erwin.vw.com or www.erwin.audi.com 6 Do you know how to read a schematic? If not see "How to read WD section in...... RTFB! " 7 Check part numbers are accurate, & firmware versions of OEM scanner----VCDS + respective controllers are of latest firmware release. 8 Did you check CHARGING SYSTEM HEALTH, BATTERY & FUSES "YET"? Diagnosing, Brain storming, & the Final Solution! 1 Describe problem ( List known symptoms ) Nix opinions or disguised solutions 2 Verify & Analyze ( Duplicate if possible, & list possible causes...... RTFB! the trouble tree, TSB's & for FOD is an MIL ON or pending? Further..... FOD for hardware, & or electronically modified firmware/software/emissions defeat/delete devices is essential now...... "do not negate this"! Look for any discrepancies in codification when compared to other modules. Actually review Time Stamps Miles and the information made available in a DTC, ......such as a G or N destinations and use as a search criteria in WD for familiarization! 3 Locate the problem ( Prioritize and identify work times + safety limits, or the use of chemicals & tool requirements ) 4 Repair the Problem ( Determine the cause & not just treat an effect! ) 5 Conduct a quality Check of your work and verify you fixed it! IF ANY OF THE ABOVE IS TOO MUCH TO COMPLY WITH, YOU SHOULD CONSIDER SEEKING A PROFESSIONAL SHOP VISIT. Jack Shapiro E.P.E. VAS>Geko ASE Extern 7076062 NYS DMV SAE>NASTF European Parts Emporium Immobilizer Solutions 1001 State Route 17K Montgomery New York 12549 USA vwemporium@aol.com 845-457-9808 TEL/FAX 845-784-0335 Net -----Original Message----- From: Contact Form <contact-form@europeanpartsemporium.com> To: vwemporium <vwemporium@aol.com> Sent: Sun, Mar 19, 2017 10:04 pm Subject: Immobilizer From: Eric <eric.XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX Subject: Immobilizer Message Body: Eric eric.XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX Dallas, Texas ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hello, I have an issue with my 2008 mkv vw jetta. I recently swapped the auto 09g trans out for a standard 02q. I've managed to jump the starter switch from the old trans, however I have a slew of error codes and my engine won't rev above 4k RPMs. I've looked around the forums, and it seems that the only way to get around the error codes is to swap out the ECU for a manual ECU, and I couldn't find anything concerning the rev limit. Obviously a different ECU would need to be coded for my immobilizer. In addition, my current ECU is tuned, and I'd rather not lose that if it can be avoided. I'm not sure that this is the kind of thing you'll take on, but I was hoping you would be able to provide service. Eric -- This mail is sent via contact form on europeanpartsemporium.com http://europeanpartsemporium.com
[/FONT]​
[/FONT]
[/FONT] [/FONT]

Last edited by a moderator:

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Yes, however, doesn't a parts guy at any franchise do that for you for free, when you request it and documentation to support it & is required to do it as part of their franchise agreement.
So it's a scheme to protect the franchised dealers?

Just because a part # is superseded doesn't mean it is always better or a revision..........not a good assumption.
It may just in fact be a different contract supplier to the OEM.
I agree, it isn't always a better or improved part. But if someone had a failed 1K0-907-379-AD, would you suggest replacing it with another one of the exact same part number? ;)

-Uwe-

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
So it's a scheme to protect the franchised dealers?

How is it a scheme to protect the dealers when they are required to disseminate the correct part supersession for you for free as per their franchise agreement?
Off course you encrypt your label files to protect your work don't you as best you can?

I agree, it isn't always a better or improved part. But if someone had a failed 1K0-907-379-AD, would you suggest replacing it with another one of the exact same part number? ;)

-Uwe-

Nope..........! Watch me say this in slow motion...........:rolleyes:

I would tell them to crack open the old one with a hot knife and re-solder all the connections correctly + send the bill to VW later for when it is under campaign for reimbursement & via certified mail return receipt with a letter demand for compensation.
Each that did this were already compensated.........:p

The new ones come with the same shitty solder connection.........FYI! being bit by the cobra.......I just solder those too I just don't give a shit!

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
Identifying the original part in a car is absolutely useful because it could be "wrong" and it should always be authenticated to be correct to begin with before checking if something just supersedes.

What people really need to do is adhere to a strict process such as the JPPSG & when doing upgrades or just swapping shit around.

I see all too often people trying to install the wrong parts using the methods you site...........FAIL!

Here is a recent example..........and he used a pirated VCDS cable go figure and one of these hacked EPC etka online things.

Now this asshole wanted to install 07K-906-055Q and in his scan below he has 07K-906-032BJ

Just do a Google search why comparing pictures of the controller.........okay your turn Don!

Jack:not sure how it happened, but somehow the issue has changed from the right of captured owners of VW cars to have easy access the database for spare parts - to the proper process for car repair. As to the latter topic, I have absolutely no qualms whatsoever in conceding to your professional and extensive knowledge!

But in respect of the former topic, which is a related, but an entirely different issue - I hope that you consider me to be not too presumptuous when I say that we are on a level playing field as far as our opinions are concerned.

As I said previously, we must agree to disagree - but thank you for the banter!!

Don

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Jack:not sure how it happened, but somehow the issue has changed from the right of captured owners of VW cars to have easy access the database for spare parts - to the proper process for car repair. As to the latter topic, I have absolutely no qualms whatsoever in conceding to your professional and extensive knowledge!

But in respect of the former topic, which is a related, but an entirely different issue - I hope that you consider me to be not too presumptuous when I say that we are on a level playing field as far as our opinions are concerned.

As I said previously, we must agree to disagree - but thank you for the banter!!

Don

Yay you finally said something I am aligned with & here is why.........

The Etka and Elsa/web/win are linked to each other within the repair manual from VAG.

I see the Etka as a critical part of the repair process & especially when diagnosis is concerned!

Since it is made available to dealer techs linking the two, we have a right to it being disseminated within the repair manual being fair.

You will get no argument from me on this, now just find a lawyer to make them do it!

vu2gte

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=262838
Here in India the VAG group and many other companies refuse to sell a walk in customer parts. Mercedes went to the extent of jailing parts suppliers in the open market by using dubious means to prosecute them. Also the warranty cover for the troublesome dsg gearboxes is only for 5 years. In short companies will do anything that they can get away with, and would never dare to do the same in their home markets.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Here in India the VAG group and many other companies refuse to sell a walk in customer parts.
Interesting. That's certainly not how things are in Europe or NAR. Dealers are happy to sell parts to anyone because it's quite profitable for them.

-Uwe-

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
Here in India the VAG group and many other companies refuse to sell a walk in customer parts. Mercedes went to the extent of jailing parts suppliers in the open market by using dubious means to prosecute them. Also the warranty cover for the troublesome dsg gearboxes is only for 5 years. In short companies will do anything that they can get away with, and would never dare to do the same in their home markets.

vu2gte: Wow - that's outrageous!!! How does a country of 1.3 Billion people allow such things to happen?

Don

vu2gte

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=262838
Actually it is on company instructions, which is a result of weak enforcement of consumer rights. According to some dealers that I spoke with the companies insist on a job card being opened everytime a part is consumed.

Keithuk

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=122432
I found other site:

*SNIPSNAP*

The part number search doesn't work as well as the VIN number search.

Update:

Sorry I didn't know the link I posted was a Copyright Violation. I found the name on MTD so I Googled it.

Last edited:

Sebastian

Ross-Tech Employee
Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HN0-nnnnnn
Hint: no imprint, no information about the service etc. What makes you think those are legal either? :p

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Why is it so hard to ask the dealer to look up the part for free legally?

or pay &

Get a valid subscription to the etka/parts link or Lex-com alternate?

Isn't it about getting the right part anyway?

It never hurts to know what is circulating on the web as an asset or liability.

Vasco Ferraz

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=288561
If we buy a product (car) and the manufacture allows the customer to buy any part they should give you a free quotation stating: part numbers, prices, delivery dates...

If the official seller does not give you that (like in India) the best free option is google: Try "ETKA online". All free results are illegal but if I were you I wouldn't care.

Keep in mind that those free services sometimes have bugs, that is, wrong parts number that won't fit in the car which you are searching.

Sebastian

Ross-Tech Employee
Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HN0-nnnnnn
Since this is a commercial forum, we will not accept any links to illegal content. I'm sure you can understand that.

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
hmmm......... Why would anyone accept the notion that public access to part number/model suitability is "illegal"?

What is it about public access to this information that is "not legal"?

Is there intrinsic IP in the number itself, or in the information that the part is suitable for a particular model, or in the price - Shirley, no one here can believe that there is?

As a potential customer of spare parts - how many times do I have to pay VW?

Why is it so hard to ask the dealer to look up the part for free legally?...........

Jack: That's exactly the point!

You can't have it both ways! If you accept that this information is bound by some sort of IP (and I most certainly do not), then how is it "legal" for the spare parts seller to disclose this highly secret information to any Joe-average who just walks into the shop?

And, if it is "legal" for Joe-average to get this secret information by merely walking into the shop and simply ask for it - then why isn't it equally "legal" for Joe-average to log-into the shop's website and simply ask the same question digitally? Why does the act of walking into a shop make it "legal" and using the web make it "illegal"? Shirley, those here that support VW's current practices can't believe that it's "illegal" to have web based access to this information purely because it's a more efficient method than walking into a dealer's spare parts department to ask the question?

And if simply having the information disclosed on a website (or having a link to those websites) makes it illegal - how do the plethora of these websites prevail (Given VAG's well known propensity for litigation and their vast legal resources- why do these "illegal" businesses still exist in such numbers)? And... no - this matter is certainly NOT the same as IP theft related to clone VCDS cables!

Again, and please don't take offense (because no offense is intended) - the practice of making the end-user pay for something that should be free and then deliberately designing the charging regime so that it can't be worthwhile to Joe-average, is just another way for VW to get revenue (and to cement the dealer/independent workshop into the transaction).

Come the revolution (comrade) when the proletariat's interests prevail - such inane practices by multinational conglomerates will be outlawed! When this happens (as it surely must happen) - which side will you be on (i.e. the side of the silver-tailed, shiny pants bosses, or the side of the common man) :D?

Don

Last edited:
Back