Lane Assist camera retrofit on Golf7

darkchina811

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=333184
I have now confirmation that the camera can be retrofitted without replacing the windshield. camera part number will be 5Q0 980 653 F. I think I have enough information but I would need to know if I need to source a camera from a Golf7 or does not matter if from any MQB car. I mean, can parameterization be different?

this is because I have my eyes on a stupid cheap camera but it's from an Audi TT RS.

worldonfire

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=297208
If you did not have camera previously, how will you retrofit this camera?
This camera requires special holder that is glued to windshield.

downtime

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=280813
No matter, the camera hw is the same just different parameters.

And where did you get the confirmation? How are you planning to add the fixture to the windscreen? It’s bonded to the glass.
Also how about the painted black area around to camera to block excess reflections to camera?

I have the camera on our Leon from factory and I can say for sure that the parts are fixed and painted to the windscreen

darkchina811

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=333184
downtime said:
No matter, the camera hw is the same just different parameters.

sorry but this is a little shady, I know the hardware is the same. CAN or CAN'T I use the camera from the Audi TT RS?

downtime said:
And where did you get the confirmation? How are you planning to add the fixture to the windscreen? It’s bonded to the glass.
Also how about the painted black area around to camera to block excess reflections to camera?

I have the camera on our Leon from factory and I can say for sure that the parts are fixed and painted to the windscreen

I know the original bracket is bonded to the windshield, and even not sold as a spare part, but there appears to be a way. trust me, I just don't want to make it public here.

siLc

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=330192
http://mqb.pl/en/tutorial-retrofiting-lane-assist-sign-assist-light-assist-5q0980653/

I guess OP is referring to this article. Kind of clever moving the camera itself out of the camera module and into the mirror base. According to this site, the camera model depends on the installed ACC radar. Where is current autoscan? :)

From one of your older topics, I see that you already have module 20 (FLA) and no ACC, so you could use either 5Q0 980 653, which is for the G7 PFL, or 3Q0 980 654, which is for the Passat B8 and G7 FL. Without disclosing what model number camera this TT RS has, there's not much we can say...

Last edited:

downtime

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=280813
I would STRONGLY ADVICE against that butcher hack. Front assist camera is used for safety systems as well so I would immediately forget that kind of trickery with it.

One more thing. That installation does not have heating for the camera lens and for the windscreen area in front of the camera. Also the front camera is used with ACC to provide additional info for the automatic emergency brake system. I see so many dangerous things here that I would not do it.

siLc

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=330192
Yes, change the windscreen. If the car is leased, then it should be covered by comprehensive insurance which covers damage to the windscreen including its replacement?

If you can, get the G7 facelift windscreen as its camera mounting is much more aesthetically pleasing (like on the Passat B8). Then you can use the Passat B8 camera 3Q0 980 654 (but not the older G7 one 5Q0 980 653).

darkchina811

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=333184
yes I am referring to that polish blog, ok it's public now :)

I am in process of retrofitting ACC with radar 5Q0 907 541 G, will be finalized hopefully on monday. I will of course post autoscan when done.
that is why I am choosing camera 5Q0 980 653 F, the very same that I could get from that Audi TT RS.

I hear you loud and clear when you guys talk about safety, I would never use "Solution 1" and stick the bracket, removed from a cracked windshield, to mine with double-sided tape.
however I do not believe that "Solution 2" is a butcher hack. I rather find it impressive and clever. being a DIYer myself, I can't help it but admire it.
again, I am of course concerned about safety, but I also wonder: if I follow this mounting procedure and the OFFICIAL ODIS CALIBRATION completes with no errors, then why should the system be considered as non-reliable?
the camera would be not far from the stock position (actually where the FLA camera stock position IS), so if ODIS is happy about it, why shouldn't we?

let me know what you think.

Last edited:

downtime

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=280813
1. No heating for the camera and that spot on windscreen, mist on windscreen will have detrimental effects on camera operation
2. Camera is prone to reflections as there's no blacked out areas around the camera

Simply, not intended position and it is really bad decision to go with that no matter how clever it is. If it would be a safe option wouldn't you think VAG would'be have adopted that themselves? That would save a huge amount of money for the company as they would not have to produce another type of camera at all.
There's a reason why ALL front cameras are built like they are now.The blackout area is there for a reason.

darkchina811

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=333184
again I hear you loud and clear. I will consider the windshield replacement.

darkchina811

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=333184
ACC retrofit is complete and fully working. I will open a separate thread for that.

downtime

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=280813
Nice, congratulations. Wasn't that bad with right hardware :)

Back