2016 A3 - Disable Parking Lights - US Spec?

AudiSportB5S4

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=58275
Hi all

Has anyone done the digging around to figure out how to disable the corner lights on North American cars? I'd obviously still want them to blink when I put them on for turning but hate how they look on!

I would imagine it's in that 09 Central Elec Adaption list, it seems like all light controls are in there, but can't figure it out.

Thanks,

Xpower

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=163029
Disabling the cornering lights is very easy under the adaptation channels.

It's probably under channel 8FL and 9FL, best thing is post a full adaptation map up and we can then advise.
Also can you clarify, you want the cornering fogs to blink?

Thanks

AudiSportB5S4

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=58275
Disabling the cornering lights is very easy under the adaptation channels.

It's probably under channel 8FL and 9FL, best thing is post a full adaptation map up and we can then advise.
Also can you clarify, you want the cornering fogs to blink?

Thanks

Nice! Figured.. Just so many things in there. When you say post a full adaption map, what do you mean? I have posted a full auto scan in a separate thread in the proper forum, is that the same thing? If not, how can I post a full adaption map? Thanks for your help!

To be clear.. Looking to turn off the TURN SIGNALS.. I shouldn't have said cornering lights..

Last edited:

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
Hmm.... I'm by no means an expert on A3s (NAR, or RoW vehicles), but on my MQB platform vehicle, it really depends on what type of corning light system is installed in the car. My understanding is that there are currently three versions of "cornering lights" used on MQB platform vehicles:
  1. on the bog-standard incandescent headlight assemblies, there is a form of cornering light where the steering wheel angle operates the fog-light. The settings for this arrangement are indeed controlled by Leuchte programming within the BCM adaptation channels (the Leuchte command is Abbiegelicht links, or Abbiegelicht rechts)
  2. then there is the static cornering light system that uses a halogen lamp and an additional reflector which is behind the turn signal light, inside the Xenon headlight assemblies
  3. lastly, there is the more sophisticated dynamic cornering light system that swivels the Xenon lamp assembly horizontally to provide cornering light functionality

I don't believe that systems (2) and (3) above are controlled by the BCM. Rather I remember reading somewhere (might have been a SSP) that cornering light control happens via the headlight range control unit (J745) and a special CAN bus that is specifically designed for lighting (can't remember its name, but I can remember being surprised to read that it was a stand alone CAN bus totally unrelated and unconnected to the activities of J533 - I think). This means that disabling the cornering lights on (2) and (3) systems above is probably done via coding/adaptation channels in J745 (not the BCM). I've had a look at the admap for the headlight range control module (address Hex55) on a couple of mk7s in my database and they have a very small suite of adaptation channels - nothing vaguely suggestive of "cornering lights". Might be worth looking at the Long Coding helper for this module (I don't have any info on this)

Happy to be corrected - and to learn more!

Don

PS: When referring to "a full Adaptation map" I think that Xpower meant this

Last edited:

AudiSportB5S4

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=58275
Ah okay thanks! If that's what he needs I have to do that when I am home later on.

BTW, just to be clear, I'm talking about turn signals, not fog lights. I know the word cornering light can easily be confused with the function that when you turn your wheel the fog light on that side if equipped will illuminate while the steering wheel is moved in either direction.

My goal is to turn off the amber side markers that are on in the US market while the headlights are on.. My goal is to have them run like the EU cars where those are only on when turn signal activated.

Xpower

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=163029
Ah ok, DoN is correct on the ad map front and we need this to go any further.

Do you have seperate amber running lights or is it just the front indicator lit dimly?

AudiSportB5S4

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=58275
Alright I feel like this has to help me achieve what I am looking for!

I linked the CSV file on my Dropbox for now.. Is there a better way for me to attach this?

Again, looking to deactivate the "parking lights" which are illuminated with the headlights being on and double as the turn signals when activated. I want to keep the turn signals functioning, but the lights off otherwise.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8gmvclnv1br9k87/A3_Map.CSV?dl=0

AudiSportB5S4

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=58275
For what it's worth - I tried changing "Driving light and parking light - Parklicht uever LSS aktiviert as the value that was stored was "Parklichtfunktion USA and Kanada" thinking this could be it but it was not.. I forget what I changed it to but whatever it was didn't work.

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
Alright I feel like this has to help me achieve what I am looking for!

I linked the CSV file on my Dropbox for now.. Is there a better way for me to attach this?

Again, looking to deactivate the "parking lights" which are illuminated with the headlights being on and double as the turn signals when activated. I want to keep the turn signals functioning, but the lights off otherwise.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8gmvclnv1br9k87/A3_Map.CSV?dl=0

AudiSportB5S4: Given that I don't have an A3, I'm extrapolating the nomenclature on a mk7. But I hope the following observations are useful:

First I must apologise, because your original post mentions "corner lights" which I understood to mean "cornering lights". But your clarification above confirms that you are referring to the multipurpose parking lights/turn signal (and I suspect two more functions- see later explanation) in the headlight assembly.It's good therefore that you made an admap of the BCM.

There is much common between your A3 and my mk7 where exterior lighting control is concerned - they both use "Leuchte" programming. I've had a look at your admap for lamps that function both as parking lights and as turn signals in an attempt to locate the correct Leuchte-sets on your A3. The only two Leuchte-sets that satisfy this criteria in your admap are Leuchte2SL VLB10 (left-side lamp) and Leuchte3SL VRB21 (right-side lamp). The complete listing for each Leuchte-set from your admap is shown below

Tkb39Q6.png

I've also identified in the table, the "cluster" of adaption channels that perform the various functions in the Leuchte-set and I have included commentary on what each Leuchte command does. If my identification of the Leuchte-sets is correct, the lamps in question perform the following four functions:
  1. Parking Lights - Illumination level 30%
  2. Coming Home/Leaving Home - illumination 30%
  3. DRL function - level 100%
  4. Turn Signal - does this function blink counter to the front turn signals?

Is this correct for your car? If so, then I believe that the easiest way to "disable" the parking light function is to alter the associated dimming level to 0%. This is done as follows:
  1. Change the setting of (6)-Leuchte2SL VLB10-Dimmwert AB 2 from 30 to 0
  2. Change the setting of (6)-Leuchte3SL VRB21-Dimmwert AB 3 from 30 to 0

Don

PS: with the changes suggested, the lamps will still function as DRLs, CH/LH and Turn Signals

Last edited:

AudiSportB5S4

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=58275
Thanks DV52! Appreciate the effort.. I will give that a shot and report back.

I have to be in front of it to confirm, there are so many things so when I'm at work I have no clue :). I'll try that tomorrow when I have the chance and see if that turns them off.

Side note - can an admin update the thread title to read "Disable US Parking Lights"?.. Much more accurate.

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
^^^^ Before you make the changes that I suggested, I forgot to mention that you should make sure that any alteration to the lamp functions in the car are consistent with your local laws/rules.

I would never forgive myself if Mr-Plod from the local constabulary- who was particularly well versed in the lighting requirements for vehicles in your area, took offence at the missing parking lights!!

Don

Reactions: Uwe

AudiSportB5S4

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=58275
Haha, no worries. On my B5 S4 I just pulled the bulb and since it's a dual filament I removed one of the contact points on the bulb to achieve the same thing.. Technology has made our lives harder in a way :)

AudiSportB5S4

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=58275
So I tried changing the value on the below line from 30 to 0, but that didn't work. Any other ideas for turning off the parking lights?

(6)-Leuchte2SL VLB10-Dimmwert AB 2

AudiSportB5S4

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=58275
I was really thinking it would be in this one: (4)-Driving light and parking light-Parklicht ueber LSS aktiviert - Parklichtfunktion USA und Kanada

I set it to not active and it was still illuminated. Searching the internet yields results that are talking about this but not specific to my platform. Feel like I'm close ish

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
So I tried changing the value on the below line from 30 to 0, but that didn't work. Any other ideas for turning off the parking lights?

(6)-Leuchte2SL VLB10-Dimmwert AB 2

I was really thinking it would be in this one: (4)-Driving light and parking light-Parklicht ueber LSS aktiviert - Parklichtfunktion USA und Kanada

I set it to not active and it was still illuminated. Searching the internet yields results that are talking about this but not specific to my platform. Feel like I'm close ish

Audisport: I'm somewhat surprised that my tweak didn't work! I wouldn't start changing adaptation channels at random. Observation is the key to problem solving - so what did happen when you made the changes as I suggested? Whilst it's possible that the Leuchte-set was not for the correct lamps, the answer can't be "nothing" - another parking light may have been disabled.

Don

Xpower

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=163029
Your adaptations are definitely bizzare, there are some channels which are turned on but brightness set to 0.
I can't see anything which shares the DRL and indicator clearly so if none of the suggestions have worked so far then it may be worth trying an overriding channel.

Let me look through again and give you another option.
This works buy setting a DRL adaptation to 0% brightenes and the dimmerwert channel to minimise. Thus overriding the channel to illuminate the bulb.

I have done this before with success but not exactly like yours.

AudiSportB5S4

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=58275
Your adaptations are definitely bizzare, there are some channels which are turned on but brightness set to 0.
I can't see anything which shares the DRL and indicator clearly so if none of the suggestions have worked so far then it may be worth trying an overriding channel.

Let me look through again and give you another option.
This works buy setting a DRL adaptation to 0% brightenes and the dimmerwert channel to minimise. Thus overriding the channel to illuminate the bulb.

I have done this before with success but not exactly like yours.

Ah okay thanks Xpower. I wonder if mine is any different from another stock A3s in the States.. I wouldn't imagine so. I feel like the easiest thing to do would be to refer to a similar year A3 in EU since I know they don't power the "parking lights" like we do here.. Hate them! :)

Xpower

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=163029
I have a friend with an A3 which I made some lighting mods to. His Adaption channels are like my Octavias, very different to yours.

Let me look over the weekend

Xpower

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=163029
as a test can you set the following channels to what i've listed:

(12)-Leuchte 0 BLK VL B36-Lichtfunktion E 0 from "not active" to "Always"
(14)-Leuchte 0 BLK VL B36-Dimmwert EF 0 from "0" to "100"
(12)-Leuchte1BLK VRB20-Lichtfunktion E 1 from "not active" to "Always"
(14)-Leuchte1BLK VRB20-Dimmwert EF 1 "0" to "100"

exit VCDS and take the keys out of the ignition, does that leave the 2 front indicators on permanently? if yes proceed to the next step, if not which lights are active?

(12)-Leuchte 0 BLK VL B36-Lichtfunktion E 0 from "not active" to "Daytime Running Light"
(14)-Leuchte 0 BLK VL B36-Dimmwert EF 0 make sure this is back to 0
(15)-Leuchte 0 BLK VL B36-Dimming Direction EF 0 from "maximise" to "minimise"

(12)-Leuchte1BLK VRB20-Lichtfunktion E 1 from "not active" to "Daytime Running Light"
(14)-Leuchte1BLK VRB20-Dimmwert EF 1 make sure this is back to 0
(15)-Leuchte1BLK VRB20-Dimming Direction EF 1 from "maximise" to "minimise"

let us know what results that produces

AudiSportB5S4

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=58275
I'll give that a shot tonight and report back, thanks for your time!

Back