Beetle MKIV 1.8T Automatic Rear Spoiler Operation

RCC

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=10231
I am trying to determine the trigger process of the factory rear spoiler.

I am interested in the exact chain of components that automatically activate the rear spoiler.

I have viewed the Bentley Paper and DVD service manuals, spoken with VW master techs. and VW/Audi performance techs., still I have found no definitive answers.

Does anyone have “factual” information regarding this subject?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I think it just listens on the CAN bus for vehicle speed messages?

-Uwe-

DrPeter

Ross-Tech Employee
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
Hello,

I am trying to determine the trigger process of the factory rear spoiler.

I am interested in the exact chain of components that automatically activate the rear spoiler.

Does anyone have “factual” information regarding this subject?

kl2I3MZ.jpg

The J223-Rear Spoiler Control module receives the 'Vehicle Speed Signal' from the J285-Instrument Cluster via the (A27) circuit, a purple/yellow wire from the T12/7 on the J223 to the T32/3 (blue/white) wire at the J285, the wire changes color after the T5c/4 connector located on the right side C-pillar.

All this information can be found looking at the wiring diagrams for the 'Rear Spoiler'. Best to use the Official Factory Repair Information for wiring diagrams.

Hope this helps,

drpeter

RCC

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=10231
Thank you both for your input.

RCC

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=10231
Okay, Yes, I realize that this thread is a bit old, however, I have discovered some interesting information regarding the Phantom Rear Spoiler issue that I have been dealing with for years, a problem that no one has been able to resolve, including Volkswagen/Audi master tech's.

I have found that among many other things, the ABS Pump/Module assembly is in the loop and plays a direct part in the operation of the Rear Electronic Spoiler on MKIV 1.8T Beetles.

I have discovered that the ABS Block assembly in these cars can cause an array of anomalies in the gauge Cluster as well as other areas depending on how it fails, sometimes without registering a code for the apparent effected area(s), making some diagnosis' difficult.

Back