VCDS (Hex-V2) running on Mac OS.....???

Smiffy999

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=305267
Hi all,

First time posting, so be gentle (please).

Right, I've had my Hex-V2 for a while and since I first got it, I have been able to run it under a Windows Emulator (Parallels) on my MacBook Pro. Basically, the VM is running a registered installation of Windows 10.

I've never had any problems before, and although I know only Windows is supported (so this strays into a grey area), i'ts worked perfectly.

However, I needed to code a new Sat-Nav last week and could not get the interface to be recognised in Windows (on the Mac). There is nothing wrong with the interface (Runs perfectly on a "Proper" Windows Laptop) but it simply won't be found from the "Options - Test" screen on the Mac.

Is anyone else running VCDS on a Mac (Under Windows), and if so, are there any settings or procedures I am missing to get the interface recognised?

I have uninstalled the previous installation of VCDS and reinstalled (from within Windows) and also installed the Device Drivers etc. In Control panel - device manager the Ross-Tech Dongle has a "Problem" icon on it (triangle), trying to delete and install drivers again results in Windows throwing an error - Found Drivers but failed to install bue to a "Problem". Basically, borrowed an HP laptop yesterday (Running Windows 10) and installed VCDS on that and it worked straight away. Do EXACTLY the same installation procedure in Windows 10 on the Mac and the interface is not recognised....

Really don't want to be buying a Windows Laptop (not for the cost, but, well, once a Mac fan and all that.... :o

Cheers,

Graham

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Most often the problem in a situation like that is Mac OS hogging the USB device and not passing it to the VM hypervisor and Windows.

However, I'm not familiar enough with MAC OS or Parallels to provide details on how to fix that.

-Uwe-

Zenerdiode

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=24330
+1 for using Bootcamp. You say you have a fully registered Windows for Parallels, so should be no problem in Bootcamp. I use Windows 7 in Bootcamp on my MacBook Air - I'll desperately hang on to W7 until nothing works with it haha! :)

darkchina811

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=333184
I have used VCDS under VirtualBox on a MacBook for long time with zero issues. as Uwe said, make sure the USB interface is redirected to the guest OS, instead than connected to the host.

Smiffy999

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=305267
Thanks Guys,

I think I have a good idea where I need to go with this now.

Cheers all, have a great week.

Gremling

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=319714
I have used dual boot and VM, prefer to use the VM, as it is easier to transfer files between both "systems".
When using the VM, ensure you select/activate the hex thing in Device menu and then USB and select Hex, apart from that it works as a charm, and you do nat have to be bothered with win versions and updates.

Regards
Gremling

Reactions: Uwe
Back