New VCDS computer... High DPI scaling?

ninethree2cc

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=258688
Hello,

I recently upgraded my windows computer that runs VCDS. This laptop has a high resolution display and VCDS is all blurry. Will disabling scaling for the VCDS program cause any problems with the UI?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
How high a resolution does the screen have? What's the screen size? What's the scaling set to in Windows? And what do you have the Window Size set to in VCDS?

-Uwe-

ninethree2cc

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=258688
1920x1080
Windows scale is at 150%
VCDS window size is 14

I was overriding the HDPI scaling by right clicking the icon->Properties->Compatibility->Change High DPI settings->override high DPI scaling behavior

Everything seems OK but I do have a couple other applications that don't get along with scaling. If overriding is not recommended it's no problem.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Presumably Windows 10?

I can't think of any reason why VCDS would object to having scaling being overridden.

Windows generally does a crappy job of scaling many programs. VCDS is proof. It does everything on-screen via Microsoft's own MFC controls, so there's really no excuse for that.

Personally, I avoid using any scaling at all. On my desktops, I still run 0.25 dot pitch monitors. When I use my laptop, which is also 1920x1080 on a 13" screen, I just put on stronger glasses. :)

However, I did recently get an 8" tablet that's 1920x1200, so some scaling is unavoidable on that. I'll put VCDS on it tomorrow and see what I can see.

-Uwe-

ninethree2cc

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=258688
Windows generally does a crappy job of scaling many programs. VCDS is proof. It does everything on-screen via Microsoft's own MFC controls, so there's really no excuse for that.
-Uwe-

Agreed. A lot of windows programs look really crappy in W8+ VCDS UI looked great on W7, on W10 it looks pretty poor.. Some WPF apps that I have written are the same- W10 flat UI ruins it all...

ninethree2cc

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=258688
I wanted to report- All of VCDS works well with scaling overridden. The only problem that I have found is that the Long Coding helper UI does not work well when scaling is overridden. Maybe the wizards at Ross Tech could find a way to let the LC helper launch scaled from VCDS that is not scaled. :)

If you need LC helper just set VCDS to not override scaling before launch.

NEtech

VCDS Distributor
VCDS Distributor
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=56995
Can you post a screenshot of the problem here.
Does "Ctrl Arrow Up/Down" help ?

Reactions: Uwe

ninethree2cc

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=258688
Does "Ctrl Arrow Up/Down" help ?

Yes! it does, I wasn't aware that I could do that.

Here is what I was seeing:
download

You can still make out what is going on but the ctrl arrow trick works fine and LC is more readable.

Reactions: Uwe
Back