Leaking head gasket on 6 month old VW remanufactured engine (01 T4, AXK)

SHODAN

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=253713
Posted about this on CaveVan as well. Posting here since I know Uwe and a few others here have the Eurovan as well.

Backstory

So the timing guides broke apart last August, and we had a remanufactured (by VW) long block put in the van. Luckily it came with a one year warranty for parts and labor.

Last month, the serpentine belt was replaced (at our cost), and now the dealer claims the head gasket is leaking and needs to be replaced. My dad took the van in for service after he noticed that there wasn't any braking at all - luckily he was just in the driveway and the van was towed.

Question

Is it typical for a reman engine to require a new serpentine belt and new head gasket after only 6 months?

Dana

Administrator
Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
The serp belt might have been re-used so I would not be concerned about that unless they billed you for a new one with the engine repairs.

The head gasket however should not be leaking! I would make sure the VW dealer that installed the reman engine takes a look at that so you can pursue warranty repairs. Even if that's a leaking valve cover it should be covered.

Reactions: Uwe

SHODAN

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=253713
Thanks for the quick reply, Dana.

The serp belt wasn't replaced, and we weren't billed for that. The dealer is replacing the head gasket, I'm just concerned about the engine's future - because had the warranty not been in place, it would have been a ~$4000 repair according to the service writer. Is there anything else I can do to make sure the engine's in good shape?

ivagp

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=95551
basically a complete reman is a virgin, and now the cherry has been poped:banghead:. i dont know how or who to bitch to so u can get a complete reman installed again. i would not have total confidence

SHODAN

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=253713
basically a complete reman is a virgin, and now the cherry has been poped:banghead:. i dont know how or who to bitch to so u can get a complete reman installed again. i would not have total confidence
Should I email VWoA? I feel like it would be unreasonable for me to ask for a brand new re-man.