Tt mk1 exhaust names / diagram

harr2969

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=294329
What are the exhaust part names? (TT Roadster mk1)

My tt Quattro has an exhaust leak somewhere. I'm having a local garage see if they can find it since I could not easily locate it even with seafood generating a lot of smoke. (seafoam autocorrect left for your enjoyment)

It's somewhere on the back side of the engine, not visible from underneath. Can someone tell me what the parts are called? I neglected to bring my Bentley manual, and I can't find a clear diagram for the mk1 online.

Is this right?

Manifold -> header > downpipe > cat/exhaust > muffler/baffle?

Last edited:

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Not VCDS related. Moving to General VW/Audi Repair.

-Uwe-

harr2969

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=294329
Not VCDS related. Moving to General VW/Audi Repair.

-Uwe-
Sorry Uwe, I even double checked that, but apparently failed. Hard to tell on my phone...

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001

NZDubNurd

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=230482
There will be a flexi-joint in the downpipes vicnity, where the exhaust turns to go under the car - they're known for leaking, eventually.

Reactions: Uwe

harr2969

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=294329
The year would help but a quick browse shows http://nemiga.com/cat_spares/etka/audi/att/229u/253200/

Keep http://nemiga.com/cat_spares/etka/audi/ in your favorites/bookmarks for reference.
Super helpful, thank you. Had a hard time finding the exhaust manifold in the Bentley... eventually found it with the Turbocharger and Intercooler chapter. (pg 21-9)

You probably already know these, but these labels are what Bentley uses:
Engine -> Manifold -> "front exhaust pipe" (aka downpipe, apparently) -> Catalytic Converter -> Muffler

So in my case, my garage says the manifold gasket is at fault. It was not clear if that's between the engine and manifold or manifold and downpipe. (or if they're correct)

I'm assuming the best place to start will be by removing the downpipe. (and I understand the subframe should be dropped to get that out in one piece)

Thoughts / Comments?

DrPeter

Ross-Tech Employee
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
So in my case, my garage says the manifold gasket is at fault. It was not clear if that's between the engine and manifold or manifold and downpipe. (or if they're correct)

I'm assuming the best place to start will be by removing the downpipe. (and I understand the subframe should be dropped to get that out in one piece)

Thoughts / Comments?
- I would hold off before removing any parts as of yet, there is one simple test I use to help find exhaust leaks.

- At the Audi dealership, we used to start the engine (let it idle), take a small handful of shop rags and one of us would block the exhaust pipe(s) and the other would attempt to listen for any increased exhaust noise.

Once we isolated the general area of the exhaust leak, we would then let the vehicle cool down and begin searching for areas that looked sooty/blackened from the leaking exhaust gasses.

Sometimes the use of mirrors and even the small flexible scope cameras helped to see in places. The 225hp quattro TT is a bit tight, even worse with a stage III turbo kit... :p

Hope that gets you in the right direction,

drpeter

harr2969

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=294329
So... turns out my manifold -> Turbo bolts were loose. All three. Unbelievable how poor the maintenance was on this car. Tightening them up did fix the leak. Yay!

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Last edited: