Vag j2534 pass thru questions

sterlinggarageltd

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=154317
hi just wanted some more info if anyone knows about or uses any sort of pass thru diag to do updates to vag vehicles or what you use ?
main question is because of all the emission scandal stuff am i able to do updates for those affected or is it all greyed out by vw?
have looked at a drewtec cardac pass thru. opions? or recomendations?
i am from england so some might not be available here .
would love some opinions on if its worth while and money making piece of technology

Zenerdiode

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=24330
I think the process works roughly like this:

Once you have the J2534 Pass-Through device connected and working on your computer, register with erWin. Here you may download the current ODIS software to work with your J2534. You then enter your credentials to (try and) join the FAZIT and GeKo program. The prerequisits are Company Accounts, Passport and CRB check (or equivalent in your residing country). Once you pass all of the background checks and they consider your establisment suitable, you can purchase diagnostic time through erWin for the diag sessions to do flashing and SVM sessions.

There's much more information on erWin about it, so suggest you Register and read through on there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Uwe

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
The only thing I'll add here is: When choosing a J2534 interface, make sure it's on VW's (short) list of approved & supported devices.

-Uwe-

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Oh, one more thing: If I were operating an independent shop, I wouldn't even dream of doing those emission-scandal related updates. Too many car owners are reporting various problems/issues after those updates. If you install an update and your customer's car runs poorly thereafter, or needs additional, expensive repairs as a result, the customer will blame you, not VW's software.

-Uwe-