Golf 1K MK5 engine interchangeability

NZDubNurd

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=230482
VW have quite a bizarre engine code arrangement!

How do you even know which base engines are the same? Lots of manufacturers have a base engine code, with option identifiers.

There appears to be a number of VW/Audi engine codes, which are basically the same engine (but not always!) with different emissions specs, or some other external/electronic/software differences, but can have the same base engine, shortblock, or even longblock.

How do I know what will interchange?

If I take my Touran BVY engine (naturally aspirated, NON-stratified, NO NOX sensor, 4 lambda), can I use the long block to replace an AXW longblock (naturally aspirated, stratified, NOX sensored, 4 Lamba)??? I guess I could install it, and rewire so it IS an BVY engine, and use my ECU... but that's a much bigger job! Although it would get rid of the stupid NOX storage, and the troublesome stratified mode :cool:

Both are 11.5:1, same power output etc.

Anybody? Or is it mostly guesswork and/or 3 hours on ETKA??? :thanks:

MartinsX

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=268515
Almost any car make and model spare parts catalogues and repair information/service manuals are based on main principle - to give information for repair people how to repair car and order correct parts for each exact car as it came out from factory. That's a way how all VIN based spare parts catalogues work, too.
You will never find information for DIY retrofits and modifications in official repair manuals. You can just collect all information, compare parts and diagrams and make Your decision based on info You collected... And no one will take responsibility to say You - "yes, it will work" or "no, something will not fit"

golfi_vend

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=195131
Engine codes share similarities, but are commonly different engines.
Examples:
BMM - Golf 2.0TDI-8v without balance shaft with DPF
BMN - Golf 2.0TDI-16v without balance shaft with DPF
BMP - Passat 2.0TDI-8v with balance shafts with DPF
BMR - Passat 2.0TDI-16v with balance shaft with DPF

BKP - Passat 2.0TDI-16v with balance shaft without DPF
BKD - Golf 2.0TDI-16v without balance shaft without DPF

There are some basic engine PR codes in ETKA, but i never really focused on them.

NZDubNurd

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=230482
OK, guesswork it is!

Thanks guys :)

Reactions: Uwe