2001 TDI beetle, air bubble from filter to pump??????????

Larry Manton

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=112505
Good morning to all. Pasted here is an email I sent to a fellow Tech asking opinions, and stated what I found and the result and would like some feed back on a permanate fix although working @ this point. Auto can on the car is the same so did not post, intermintend heated mirrors and suspect chinese door lock, nothing more, note to self, don't buy that junk.

No Doug battery not bad although I bought a new one, I did not use it as after jumping a brand new truck one still had the same issue.

Although this car can litterally pull down almost 900 amps on the first revolution of crank, Gary says he rarely sees that even in trucks then pulls about 3/400 so is an energy hog.

On this one I went with my gut feel as even once started using fluid there was little smoke indicating that there was not as much fuel in the jugs, JMO, as I would have expected from a motor cranking for extended periods. I opened the intake between the inter cooler and the manifold and used some WD40 and it grumbled but started.

Initially I condemed the Batt (would pull 400 amps on a tester, no problem) as the fuel solenoid would drop to 8.5 then climb so I felt the solenoid was not actually open as I had hot wired it to the suspect battery in the car thus bypassing the module. So I excited it with an external batt thus keeping 12 volts on the solenoid still no start. But now I know it is a fuel issue. Also once got the car started and warm went to the VW VAG of these years like 98/04 and viewed the timing (knew Jack would rip me a new one if not validated) on the graph as it can from experience act the same way and it was stellar.

Diesels are know to have fuel issue and air in the line is paramount. I did a refit known to many and that is to insert a clear Tygon line in the inlet, but had to build 2-- 3/8 to 5/16 (not using MM) ferrels to adapt took 15 minutes on the lathe and done. Sure enough once started there is a steady stream of air in the inlet line, might be normal, I doubt it. I tried every fitting from tank to there and could not seem to find the culprit. The critical thing is when rerouting the inlet line I placed it so much like and S trap in a toilet the 6/8 inches infront of the pump go up and are higher than the filter so create a prime area upon crank where the pump is not stranded. Is working thus far but want to have my problem viewed by some VW players for opinion on the air. I don't know what goes on the in the filter as fuel in, fuel out.............then return through a fitting which is tight and back to the tank. Don't know if the fuel bypass lines can inhale air or if have a problem in the pump doing the same, thus putting air into the top of the filter on return, but would think all fuel from the intake to the pump would be taken from the bottom of the filter, just don't know, will ask others who play with the TDI all the time.

Larry

On Fri, Jan 27, 2017 at 3:17 PM, Doug Saros <d.saros@frontier.com> wrote:
Hi Larry,
Was it a faulty battery?? Sometimes the cheapest fixes are the bestest fixes!!
Take care,
Doug S.

Sent: Thursday, January 26, 2017 8:08 AM
To: Doug Saros
Subject: Bettle failed battery

Pico captures of voltage dropping to just over 8 volts, thus dropping out fuel regulator for fuel pump IMO. Would historically not have gone there as unit cranked fine.

Battery tested OK meaning only loading with 300 amp draw, but noted on my other TDI the initial amp draw would go as high as almost 800 amps settling out @ about 400 AMPs.

Click here to Reply or Forward
15.85 GB (15%) of 100 GB used
Manage
Terms - Privacy
Last account activity: 12 hours ago
Details

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
No VCDS content. Moving to General VW/Audi Repair. ;)

-Uwe-

Larry Manton

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=112505
No VCDS content. Moving to General VW/Audi Repair. ;)

-Uwe-
UWE, sounds good and could have posted it but nothing to see other can lack of can bus comm to glow plug light, could be wrong but not the problem as the glo light never has worked and I thought the dash never even had one, and after owning the car for 4 years it finally codes, go figure.