ignition coils (packs) as part of periodic service? R8 coils or normal?

redneckG33K

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=253336
Hi everyone.

Recently I did a major service on my car, 231000 km on my 2008 audi a3 8p 2.0 fsi

Thermostat, pcv, rev D. DV, clean injectors, clean intake valves, cleaned TB, cleaned maf.

I should have ordered plugs, and changed them while I was doing the other stuff, but I didn't. Anyways, when I pulled the plugs, they appeared to be lightly coated in a slightly grey / white substance. IS THAT NORMAL? It has been probably 100k km since I changed the plugs last.

ALSO...

I have a mild GIAC tune and a KnN typhoon Cold air intake. Peek boost is 20 psi, and levels out at 18 lbs. I do have problems with rough power delivery under high load. So if say I'm in 4th and I go wot from say 2k rpm, the longer I stay in boost I get what feels like stutters.

No CEL, no pending codes. VCDS scan is clear for engine.

What about the coils? I read a lot of people change the coils periodically while others on change when there is a problem. As far as I know, the coils appear to be mostly original. I am second owner of the car. Somebody has labelled coil 3 and 4 with yellow marker, but coils 1 and 2 have not been labelled. Possibly someone has been troubleshooting a misfire in the past but that's just speculation on my part. At least 2 coils are original I am going to assume.

SHOULD I REPLACE THE COILS WITH THE PLUGS AT THIS TIME?

NORMAL COILS, OR R8 COILS?

SHOULD I GO A LEVEL COLDER ON THE PLUGS GIVEN MY MODS/TUNE?