HEX-V2 Product Announcement / Introduction

VAG-Dave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC806344
Do you have a compelling reason to do an upgrade? Are you working on cars that new enough that your HEX+CAN no longer fully supports them?

-Uwe-

I purchased it 4yrs ago & have used it on 10 cars in that time (Golf MK4GTI, R32, MK5 GT, MK6 GT, MK7 GT, Audi S3 V6, Skoda Fabia MK1 x2, MK2vrs, OctaviaMK1...of the top of my head) ..& not just autoscans either...& yes the newest is my MK7 Golf, but if anything happens to it the replacement will be on the newer electrical systems...two cars are mine, the rest are friends & I do some stuff for local VAG owners on the forums..

Anyway my "old" cable has drastically gone up in price over here in that time from £263 to £369..& I would far rather buy now instead of waiting until I desperately need it & find the cost has shot up further...

If I had bought my "old" cable when I first thought about it & not the cheap £80 scan tool, I would have saved a further £64..as it was a few years earlier just below the £200 mark.

I prefer to buy once, but I had hoped that the cable would last longer, & it most likely will, however if the current laden cars are causing problems I am likely to run into this issue in the next few years.

My golf is very laden with extras & sometimes it is slow but to be expected, I like to future proof.

Reactions: Uwe

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Anyway my "old" cable has drastically gone up in price over here in that time from £263 to £369..& I would far rather buy now instead of waiting until I desperately need it & find the cost has shot up further...
I think this is primarily due to currency exchange. Not that many years ago, currency exchange was $2.00 to a Pound. Now it's roughly $1.30.

In any case, we never changed the price of the HEX-USB+CAN (in USD) for the entire 12 years it was in production, which means when taking inflation into account, it actually got less expensive over time in real terms.

-Uwe-

VAG-Dave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC806344
I think this is primarily due to currency exchange. Not that many years ago, currency exchange was $2.00 to a Pound. Now it's roughly $1.30.

In any case, we never changed the price of the HEX-USB+CAN (in USD) for the entire 12 years it was in production, which means when taking inflation into account, it actually got less expensive over time in real terms.

-Uwe-

& with brexit on our cards, plus the Scots (where I live) still want independence from the UK & might have to go it alone, as Europe have stated you ain't joining us,

Plus with the various sabre rattling with NK China etc...

the money markets are for moment slightly stable....& our bank of England chief bloke the Canadian Mark Carney has royally screwed us (loads of the money banks, ex head blokes are criticising him & these people are not the type to speak openly, shows how bad it is) by not increasing interest rates, so encouraging spending & more debt & no incentives for savers...sound familiar to the previous stock crash that started over there because of toxic debt anyone??

So basically before the current SNAFU ends up being FUBAR I'd like to save a bit of money in the long run....

Reactions: Uwe

turbocip

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=80803
Hi there,

I see something: with Hex Can V2 - into Option Menu , Boot in Intelligent Mode dissapear .
This option was very helpfull, because VCDS works with software Vag Eeprom Programmer.
Its possible to have back this option at new HEX Can V2 ?
Thank you in advance

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I see something: with Hex Can V2 - into Option Menu , Boot in Intelligent Mode dissapear .
This option was very helpfull, because VCDS works with software Vag Eeprom Programmer.
Its possible to have back this option at new HEX Can V2 ?
I'm afraid not. There is no possibility of a "dumb pass-through" (Serial <-> K-Line) mode with HEX-V2 or HEX-NET.

I don't think this is a very compelling feature anymore since you can buy "dumb" USB<->K-Line cables for $10-$15 on fleaBay.

-Uwe-

Al Bundy

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=80804
For me and @turbocip this feature has been of great help. But, that's it, we're gonna use our oldest interface on the serial port.

turbocip

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=80803
Uwe, I understand what you said - but not the 10-15 usd is the problem, it was a very good option - because we did not use a second device (we did the fast job for VAG Cars - editing, coding, adaptations)

I already use new Hex Can V2 - works very fast on Can Cars

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Uwe, I understand what you said - but not the 10-15 usd is the problem, it was a very good option - because we did not use a second device (we did the fast job for VAG Cars - editing, coding, adaptations)

I already use new Hex Can V2 - works very fast on Can Cars
Understood, but every design has some trade-offs and compromises. ;)

-Uwe-

VAG-Dave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC806344
Just asking a question to double check.

I am thinking about selling my old registered cable, so I know that any support will not transfer to the new owner.

But will they be able to continue to download new versions of the software/firmware/drivers etc.?

Bruce

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
--------
.... will they be able to continue to download new versions of the software/firmware/drivers etc.?

Yes they will. If they choose not transfer the license to their name by paying Ross-Tech the $99 fee, they will not receive support from Ross-Tech including hardware upgrades. However, the software updates will continue to work for them.

VAG-Dave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC806344
Yes they will. If they choose not transfer the license to their name by paying Ross-Tech the $99 fee, they will not receive support from Ross-Tech including hardware upgrades. However, the software updates will continue to work for them.

Many Thanks for the double check!!:thumbs:

turbocip

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=80803
Hi , into VCDS / About - Config / Advanced - whats mean Check Feat. Update?
thank you

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Hi , into VCDS / About - Config / Advanced - whats mean Check Feat. Update?
thank you
It is a place to enter a "Feature Code", which is a way that we initiate changes to the license or registration of the interface, which then must be completed on-line, via our server.

-Uwe-

VAG-Dave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC806344
My new V2 turned up today after ordering it late yesterday!! Got it registered as per instructions & it works VERY quickly on the car!!

Quick question thought, as I am an existing registered user for my old cable (which I am selling privately) how is this new cable "tagged" to my online profile on here, as I tried the "cloud" option but that failed!

PS Gendan have a superb email verification which they send out when the item is dispatched...what are they drinking in Swansea??

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
My new V2 turned up today after ordering it late yesterday!! Got it registered as per instructions & it works VERY quickly on the car!!
:D :cool:

Quick question thought, as I am an existing registered user for my old cable (which I am selling privately) how is this new cable "tagged" to my online profile on here, as I tried the "cloud" option but that failed!
Cloud stuff is only applicable to the HEX-NET and VCDS-Mobile. I just manually merged the records in our internal CRM database.

-Uwe-

VAG-Dave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC806344
:D :cool:

Cloud stuff is only applicable to the HEX-NET and VCDS-Mobile. I just manually merged the records in our internal CRM database.

-Uwe-

That's what I had at the back of my mind, but thought I'd ask.

Once again thanks for clearing it up.

mdough5

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm looking to purchase a VCDS and I'm slightly confused about the hardware differences between the HEX-NET and HEX-V2. I've read here that they are for the most part the same except the V2 not having on-board storage, wifi capabilities, and a different power supply for those functions, which really only matter currently for the VCDS Mobile. I see that both HEX-NET and HEX-V2 have 32 bit processors, but is there a time where the on-board storage would provide additional capability beyond the Mobile interface? Is buying a HEX-NET a better decision for the future in terms of ability to meet future demands for the device? Or does it come down to the simple answer that if the HEX-V2 needs to be updated on the hardware side, the HEX-NET will require the same updates?

Bruce

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
--------
With the HEX-V2, you always have the requirement of a PC. It stores the stuff needed.

With the HEX-NET, the VCDS-Mobile software runs from within the device. It needs a place to store data locally. So, there is memory in the HEX-NET owing to the fact that it may not be connected to a computer and is operating on a device which it uses for the human interface.

The on board storage is not a limiting factor in our minds. The choice between the two is mainly about convenience. The HEX-V2 requires a Windows PC. The HEX-NET, while it too can run VCDS on the Windows PC, it is not required to do so owing to the second software package - VCDS-Mobile. VCDS-Mobile extends the operating platform to any device that has WiFi and web browser, making the HEX-NET much more convenient.

The Ross-Tech plan is that the HEX-V2 and the HEX-NET will have the same coverage going forward. Can we guarantee that we will accomplish that? No. We can't know what the VAG engineers will do. But, based on what we do know, we are reasonably confident that for the next several years, we will be able to give the same vehicle coverage with both devices.

Back