2012 A8 4H 34 level control coding

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
All doors closed? Does the module see them as all closed?

Look in Measuring Values and see if any of the sensors is grossly out of whack with the others.

-Uwe-

AvernturaA8

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=405840
Hi Uwe, thanks for the reply. Yes, all doors are closed, front windows open during the procedure. Fuel tank around 3/4 full.

One note is that I am not using a battery tender during the procedure.

Observed Symptoms:
My left front wheel is evidently low, my right front is evidently high.
Ther rear wheels are not as bad, with the left lower than right as well.

Here are some sensor readings that may be of interest. I can extract more.

Code:
Sunday,27,September,2020,02:21:40:56142
VCDS -- Windows Based VAG/VAS Emulator Running on Windows 10 x64
VCDS Version: 20.4.2.0 (x64)  HEX-V2 CB: 0.4513.4
Data version: 20200730 DS317.0
www.Ross-Tech.com

Address 34: Level Control  (4H0 907 553 C)

02:21:31
  IDE02942   Value of PWM signal left front vehicle height 38.21 %
  IDE02943   Value of PWM signal right front vehicle height 46.71 %
  IDE02944   Value of PWM signal left rear vehicle height 40.88 %
  IDE02945   Value of PWM signal right rear vehicle height 39.19 %
  IDE03057   Value of PWM signal left front shock absorber 50.00 %
  IDE03059   Value of PWM signal right front shock absorber 50.00 %
  IDE03061   Value of PWM signal left rear shock absorber 50.00 %
  IDE03063   Value of PWM signal right rear shock absorber 50.00 %
  IDE03123   Last measured pressure in left front pneumatic spring bellows 7.4 bar
  IDE03124   Last measured pressure in right front pneumatic spring bellows 7.4 bar
  IDE03125   Last measured pressure in left rear pneumatic spring bellows 4.6 bar
  IDE03126   Last measured pressure in right rear pneumatic spring bellows 4.6 bar

Reactions: Uwe

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I don't see anything obviously wrong there. :confused:

-Uwe-

AvernturaA8

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=405840
Hi wanted to add some observations. I vented both axles in order to drop the car to its lowest level to observe the PMW signal from the level sensors. Here are the measured values:

Code:
  IDE02942   Value of PWM signal left front vehicle height 27.47 %
  IDE02943   Value of PWM signal right front vehicle height 73.48 %
  IDE02944   Value of PWM signal left rear vehicle height 22.81 %
  IDE02945   Value of PWM signal right rear vehicle height 67.70 %

Is it normal for the left side and right side sensors to read values inverted? That is left-side sensors decrease in value as the car drops, while right-side sensors increase in value. Is this normal behaviour?

Last edited:

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Is it normal for the left side and right side sensors to read values inverted? That is left-side sensors decrease in value as the car drops, while right-side sensors increase in value. Is this normal behaviour?
I wouldn't think so, but I don't have access to a car with a suspension like that to confirm.

-Uwe-

AvernturaA8

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=405840
Hi, I wanted to provide an update and my ride height situation

After many attempts to calibrate the vehicle and always getting stuck at "aborted - safety reasons" I took the vehicle to and Audi/Volkswagen certified shop. After a few hours of diagnosing the car the technician was unable to get past the same error I was having and was unable to provide a solution.

But I do have a positive update to share. Today, I decided to try an option on VCDS that I had never dared to try before. "Startup to Normal Level and Permanently Deactivate Level Control". Selected this from the dropdown, pressed "OK" and after like 30 seconds the function completed.

The result, the car is now leveled! The fault on the dash remains but at least the car is sitting at the same height between left and right.

Here are the readings from VCDS with this improved posture:
Code:
Address 34: Level Control  (4H0 907 553 C)

18:28:26
  IDE02942   Value of PWM signal left front vehicle height 36.50 %
  IDE02943   Value of PWM signal right front vehicle height 58.61 %
  IDE02944   Value of PWM signal left rear vehicle height 44.33 %
  IDE02945   Value of PWM signal right rear vehicle height 48.51 %
  IDE03123   Last measured pressure in left front pneumatic spring bellows 12.0 bar
  IDE03124   Last measured pressure in right front pneumatic spring bellows 6.6 bar
  IDE03125   Last measured pressure in left rear pneumatic spring bellows 7.5 bar
  IDE03126   Last measured pressure in right rear pneumatic spring bellows 3.1 bar

Note how the pressures readings are much higher on the left than on the right, and yet the car is leveled.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I took the vehicle to and Audi/Volkswagen certified shop. After a few hours of diagnosing the car the technician was unable to get past the same error I was having and was unable to provide a solution.
An independent shop? Or a dealer?
Here are the readings from VCDS with this improved posture:
The dramatic (~2:1) pressure difference between left and right bothers me. Why would so much difference be needed when the vehicle is level?

-Uwe-

AvernturaA8

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=405840
An independent shop? Or a dealer?
It was an independent shop.

The dramatic (~2:1) pressure difference between left and right bothers me. Why would so much difference be needed when the vehicle is level?
-Uwe-

Yes, the pressure difference level sure surprised me too. It would be nice to have some reference values out of a healthy A8 as it may provide clues of what's happening. I also have not been able to confirm if the inverted behavior of the PWM values between the left and right sides is normal.

And unfortunately, after a few minutes of driving it later in the afternoon, the car reverted back to its bad posture, with the right side (front) being almost two inches higher than the left.:(

My current heights as measured from the floor to the fender are LF: 28.25", RF: 29.5", RL: 29.75" RR: 31.25"

Autobahn Connection

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=100574
It was an independent shop.

Yes, the pressure difference level sure surprised me too. It would be nice to have some reference values out of a healthy A8 as it may provide clues of what's happening. I also have not been able to confirm if the inverted behavior of the PWM values between the left and right sides is normal.

And unfortunately, after a few minutes of driving it later in the afternoon, the car reverted back to its bad posture, with the right side (front) being almost two inches higher than the left.:(

My current heights as measured from the floor to the fender are LF: 28.25", RF: 29.5", RL: 29.75" RR: 31.25"
I have been going through this same exact thing with a 2011 4H chassis. The difference is that mine blew up a bag (left / front) it kept going higher and higher like it wanted to compete in a monster truck show ..the "BAM!" replaced the bag.. no faults but rides right side 25mm lower then the left no matter how many time I adapt the suspension.. but for two days I get that error when I get to the sequence for "start up to level control" .. very frustrating and not profitable. Any luck with yours?

Jetta 97

Professional User
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=81680
I know is old post but I had run in same situation on one 2011 A8 and anything I try it would reject Basic settings IDE03762.
Then I went to someone who has Legit ODIS try it and it was same thing, Did test plan and said coding on Level control module has to be done with SVM.
Went online and preform SVM coding , and after that all went OK.
So at end of coding besides coding I saw that parameters settings got change , So I think this is the problem which I think VCDS can not do it .
So if anyone has this code :
266752 - Control module not coded
U1013 00 [009] - - Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear

Most likely you have to do online SVM coding to fix parameters .

I really do not know what happen to this car ,they also chnage level sensor and try to do adaptation before I got car , possible they reset all adaptation which is NOTED at Ross-Tech wiki that should not be done.

• Informative
Reactions: Uwe

SpeedRacerAZ

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=312337
Reset all adaptation values.
Was having issues with rear ride height, so I did the same dumb thing. How much is this going to cost me to fix at the dealer?

Last edited by a moderator:

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Reset all adaptation values.
So you ignored the warning that VCDS pops up when you try to do that?

How much is this going to cost me to fix at the dealer?
Don't know for sure, but I would guess they will charge you for one hour of labor to pull the car in, connect to to their tool, and do an on-line session with the factory servers.

-Uwe-

SpeedRacerAZ

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=312337
So you ignored the warning that VCDS pops up when you try to do that?

Don't know for sure, but I would guess they will charge you for one hour of labor to pull the car in, connect to to their tool, and do an on-line session with the factory servers.

-Uwe-

There wasn’t a warning, but I obviously won’t touch that setting ever again. 1 hour of labor and all fixed. The suspension module acted like it was brand new and had no coding.

Back