Feature Request - Extremely useful for baselining a car

Moni

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=288542
Can we have a Christmas wish?

Could you please place a button inside the "Select Module" pop-up that would export a single "Advanced Identification" output for all available modules.

Why useful?
One click will give you a baseline of all advanced ID settings.
Then you can use the free Notepad++ to do a file-compare and see in 3 seconds what was changed compared to the last known scan.

You already have all the functionality.
It takes ~20 lines of new code to get this done.
You do not even have to program a new window with a text-box for the user to copy/paste.
Just write to the Log folder.

In what situations will this be useful?
Repair shops -> generate repeat business.
1. Baseline a car and keep the log on file.
2. The driver will have the incentive to go back to the place that already "knows" his/her car.
3. If a driver comes with problems and a module was touched you can easily spot if a module was reprogrammed.
The next question is "Who dunit".

Enthusiasts -> Keep a tight leash on when and why a module was reprogrammed.
It will take half an hour to do it module by module in the current version.
With a one-click output you can find out in the parking lot, in less than a min, what was changed during the last repair.
You can at least ask for the reason why a module was reprogrammed.

In later versions you can go as fancy as you wanna be and add to VCDS the option to compare two files.
You can also have the option to store a baseline file in an encoded form and always compare to it and highlight changes.
But all that can happen for next Christmas.

For now - 20 lines of code and 45 min to:
1. Add a button.
2. Add a loop to extract Advanced ID settings into a single file (use default Log location and file name VIN-Number-AdvancedID-yyyy-mm-dd.txt)

How's that sound?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
If we were going to do something like this, I would rather have an "Include Advanced ID" option on the Auto-Scan screen than have this be a stand-alone feature.

-Uwe-

Moni

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=288542
Thanks for the comment Uwe!
Apology for the late reply. As I did not get an email that somebody responded I just thought this thing was left behind in the fog :)

Sure! You do it as you think it is best for you.

I was just pointing at the fact that this is the first wish that surfaced when I started working with the product.
The suggestion for implementation was merely meant as an example of how low-tech the first version could be.
It would be totally acceptable even if the first output includes all these headers that would make them appear redundant.
As a user I would know that you are working on a better version. In the mean time I am getting all I need. About the inconvenient first draft - I personally would not care.

Yet, I do recognize that what sometimes looks ok from a user perspective does not jive well from a marketing and a product-vision perspective.
Proof ... you used the words "... If we are going to do this ... then ...". Which translates to "Even the first version should look professional" - which I totally get.

All I am saying is - as a user I would absolutely accept any intermediate solution while you work on the professional one. And a draft solution does not need to be complicated.
That's all I am saying.

About the need - For example I keep postponing checking my modules because I just cannot find the 30 min I need to sit down and click the modules one after the other.
Then it will take me another 15 min to compare the files one by one in Notepad++.
Doable - no question, but 45 min is time that I need to find and that is time a professional mechanic needs to bill for and also fit on the schedule.
For a professional mechanic this is a non money making activity as it will be considered "preparation".

So - If I get a duct-tape-and-wire solution that would bring the efficiency to 5 min I will be absolutely happy.

It would be interesting what the pros would comment on this need (for all I know - it may not be as needed as I feel it is):
One-click base-lining of all modules with all details + one click exposure of what changed.

Btw. for people not familiar with Notepad++.
Once you download/install it you have to go to the tool bar and go to Plugins - Plugin Manager. Then checkbox on "Compare" to load the plugin.
After that drag-drop the two files you want to compare into Notepad ++ and use this new option on the toolbar. It will highlight the changes between the files.
Download the 32 bit version - more plugins for it. You will not feel any difference in performance.