Engine Oil Change Interval & SRI

Curtis

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=260764
I have observed that there is a lot of debate/argument and opinions with regards to engine oil change/interval. Despite the Manufacturers' recommendation of 15,000km service interval, it appears a lot of people prefer 10,000km and others 8,000km and of course others stick to the 15,000km. I have also noted that whenever I do my SRI with VCDS (in most, if not all of the cars I did), it seems to give me the 15,000km interval (unless I didn't pay close attention:D). My questions...

1. Does VCDS automatically set the interval to 15,000km or it depends on the information it retrieves from the ECU (differs from vehicle to vehicle)?
2. What would be the ideal interval for engine oil change?
3. Does changing engine oil 'sooner' than recommended necessarily imply better/safer in terms of service or maintenance?:confused:

I own a Polo 9N which I have always serviced at 15,000km interval with no problem. Since I recently got myself a '04 V6 Touareg, I don't want to take any chances, hence the above questions.

Thanks in advance. :thanks:

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
1 & 2) Much depends on the car, how that car is used, and what kind of service regime it's set to (flexible vs. fixed). In general, VCDS tries to use the same values for resets that the factory tool would use.

3) If you want real answers to this, which take how the car is used into account, retain a sample of the user oil when you drain it and send it out for analysis each time. Then increase or decrease the interval accordingly.

Of course there is no danger or downside to changing the oil more often than "necessary", whereas leaving it in too long can cause a number of different problems.

-Uwe-