2001 1.8 Jetta AWD cam crank correlation code.

Larry Manton

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=112505
Good morning Nostra Jack, or whom ever.

Car has 136,000 miles not KM, automatic. Had new belt water pump and tensioner 35,000 miles ago.

First, did a quick scan per Vag, states is not supported by this car. Apologize, did not get the exact # of code (my bad) but stated Cam crank correlation. Assume this to be cam crank sync issue, I know assuming can be dangerous, feel free to jump on.

Did a DSO pattern and Intake is definatlely advanced IMO, like about 12 degrees and nobody has a good known cam crank pattern so running blind here. All marks on cams, the notches on cam journals and the 16th spacing of rollers, also the marks on the belt pulley and VC are spot on. Cam and crank signature stable just not where I think. I stated 12degrees advanced, could be wrong here just going off info on earlier VW where the cam signature drops dead center of the beginning of the 360 degrees of rotation on the G28, Speed sensor, (crank sensor). Cam sensor supposed to be G40, but only found a G163 per Bently as no G40 showed up in wire diag for AWD motor.

This AWD has an electric plug in on the VVT tensioner (the tensioner) which is stated by Bently not used on this motor. Is my correlation issue in part to do with the tentioner as my sons 99 had a movable Cam tensioner and on this engine the Key in group 90 does not move here under any throttle mode. Also seen another post stating issues with pulley on Crank, might be wrong here, just trying to nail this down.

As a side not was told the cam timing had to do with VW system around EGR, again here say, but would like to know.

Jack, thanks again for all your former support on my wifes beetle, running stellar, thanks again.

Larry

MartinsX

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=268515
Hi!
What version of VCDS/interface do You have? Why do You think this car is not supported? Try to make an autoscan and post it here. ;)

Larry Manton

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=112505
I guess because when I push button that says auto scan, and it states NOT SUPPORTED, seems pretty succinct to me.

Will check on model, bit not the cheap one, will get it, not in front of me.

Larry Manton

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=112505
Jack, howdy days. Looked @ the site and infers the set up according to manual is ambiguous. I totally agree as the drop in of roller in the exhaust cam up for various interpretation, then add me to the mix it could be disastrous. I agree as is the alighnment with tensioner slack or tight?does not say.

Still curios if AWD has any form of timing change that they employ during running like my sons 99 1.8.

You do remember, I had trouble posting data from this site for whatever, but will try.

In AWD model in Bentley nowhere do I find a G40, only a G162. Called sensor 2, is this more confusion for us Neophytes?

Have a nice day my friend.

LARRY

Larry Manton

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=112505
Hi!
What version of VCDS/interface do You have? Why do You think this car is not supported? Try to make an autoscan and post it here. ;)

Martin, thanks for the interest, the HC497971 Rev B. This car is an 01, I get this a lot on the older stuff. I paid 600.00 for the unit and is a professional model as far as I know, Jack would know more.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I guess because when I push button that says auto scan, and it states NOT SUPPORTED, seems pretty succinct to me.
A 2001 car does not have enough smarts for VCDS to be able to Auto-Detect what the car is, so you must choose a chassis type manually based on the 7th & 8th digits of the VIN before clicking [Start] on the Auto-Scan screen.

-Uwe-

Larry Manton

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=112505
A 2001 car does not have enough smarts for VCDS to be able to Auto-Detect what the car is, so you must choose a chassis type manually based on the 7th & 8th digits of the VIN before clicking [Start] on the Auto-Scan screen.

-Uwe-

AHH, UWE,,,,,,,,, your are just being kind, car is probably plenty smart just the user is in question, I can deal with reality. Thanks for the tip my friend.

Larry AKA StitchB

Larry Manton

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=112505
Jack,..... I know you have been known to jerk a few chains, not wanting to seem a problem here as you hold all the cards, it is yessum Massa. But in all fairness how would a Ner do well Peckerwood,!!!!!!!!! such as myself supposed to know a G163 is a G40?, as Bill Clinton once stated that depends on what IS=IS. I'm laughing while typing this as I know a little about Jack Sprat, so can deal with it. It is not that I don''t know something, just that what I know is wrong, (sometimes) even a blind squirrel finds a nut. Thanks again.

Larry

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
From memory (which ain't that great anymore) G40 would be the Bank 1 cam position sensor and G163 would be the Bank 2 cam position sensor. This assumes the engine has two cylinder banks. On a single bank engine such as this one, I would only expect a G40.

-Uwe-

Jack@European_Parts

NostraJackAss
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Hey Larimore,

Yes it's a mistake in the factory WD............& that they never fixed!

Blame Jokeswagen..........post a scan.......

Jack Sprat eats his fat and doesn't waste food.........

Larry Manton

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=112505
Hey Larimore,

Yes it's a mistake in the factory WD............& that they never fixed!

Blame Jokeswagen..........post a scan.......

Jack Sprat eats his fat and doesn't waste food.........

Totally agree, wave to the cows Jack, they taste good.

ivagp

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=95551
have you checked the timing belt if its put on correctly. You know you can check cam correlation would be 91 or 92 some like that

Larry Manton

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=112505
have you checked the timing belt if its put on correctly. You know you can check cam correlation would be 91 or 92 some like that

As always, all the marks seem correct, that said have been in the area of the 90 section and did not know it would tell you the correlation of Cam Vs cranks, if so pretty cool , I know on my sons 99 it would tell you when keyway was moving, but on his was activated electrically and as I understood it was either A or B advanved or retarded and have been told this has to do with EGR functions, again would really like to know...... but don't propose to understand it beyond that, enlighten me.

Larry Manton

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=112505
Scan Larimore.........?

Did you try the manual selection?

Jack, cannot look @ the car till Saturday as she needed it to go to work, runs okay for that, no missfires, runs quite smooth, and the like so until Sat will be waiting. When you say manually scan, I assume (dangerous I know) you mean look @ the codes which is the way I have been doing, this is where I got the cam Crank correlation from, and an occasional turbo boost code coming and going but feel that is a separate issue as the hoses are pretty typical squishy, but another subject once the Corelation problem is resolved. You have never stated but many post state oil pressure is an issue with the tensioner and 1.8 historic for sludge, in the back of my mind is this part of the correlation issue as it's can't move through the full range. Again as stated will pull the cover Sat, look hard @ @ the cam timing with the new info on your tutorial, my gut feel is it is still right on, could be wrong, won't be the first time 4 sure.

Larry

I have never used what UWE, stated pasting in the 7 or 8 of the Vin and then if might auto scan, will comply with all of this when I get the car in the flesh.

Larry

Dana

Administrator
Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
I have never used what UWE, stated pasting in the 7 or 8 of the Vin and then if might auto scan, will comply with all of this when I get the car in the flesh.

Larry

You have to choose the 7 and 8th VIN digits on any pre-CAN car. Jef used a (1J) Mk4 chassis in this video:

https://youtu.be/RCBt6d42-Fc