New ab(user) with Touareg

Flaps10

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=219700
Greetings.
I guess in many forums it is traditional to step up to the microphone and introduce ourselves.

I just recently realized that I've known Uwe Ross for a number of years and now I'm back to having my hands in a VW. I've wanted a Touareg or Cayenne for some time. Initially I wanted a V10 diesel Touareg with air ride and the whole 9 yards. Yes, even after reading horrific stories on line about 30 hours of labor to drop the engine. While out looking I test drove both and found the Cayenne to have some serious attitude. Loved it.

[side trip]
I've owned a '69 bug (my first car) which I hopped the crap out of back in the day. I've also owned a '75 rabbit four door, an '80 convertible rabbit, a '79 Westy (top three most impressive/reliable vehicles I ever owned), an '80 vanagon diesel which I converted to gas after the now ex spouse killed it, an '86 diesel Golf (purchased for $1100 and driven for over 200k miles and then got $2500 trade in credit for). Uh, lets see. I know I'm forgetting at least one other.
[/side trip]

Last December I met the woman of my dreams (fourth time's a charm) and by some coincidence she had wanted a Touareg for at least five years.

Anyway, did some math. A V10 diesel was commanding a price premium of $6,000 over a V8 gas. Even if the diesel achieved the reported 27mpg on the freeway, $6k buys a metric s*** ton of gasoline. That, and the market is infested with V8 gas cars and only rarely does a V10 diesel pop up. Oh, and the V6 was out because from what I could read it didn't get better mileage than the V6. Screw that. Give me the horses.

Recently my girlfriend was in a position to need to supply a car to her teens to drive. After considering a $2500 beater she decided to let the kids take her Volvo S40 and we could look for a Touareg.

As they say, "I'm in!" I had looked at many, many of them by myself so I was getting a pretty good idea what to look for. On the day we looked together, the third car really stood out. Not a scratch on it anywhere. No air ride (dammit), but does have the V8, nav, heated everything, sunroof, brand new tires, blah, blah. Drives like a new car. Actually it drives like a new car with serious balls. A week in and she LOVES the thing.

I was a tad envious and started scanning for a Cayenne. She fails to see the logic in owning two SUVs so she is forcing me to buy a 996. She's really mean like that. I'm in no rush to buy one. I may still pull the trigger on am M3 since I know, uh, the other brand very well.

Anyway, I've got a couple of things to do once I get my cable and software. I've got a TPS alert and there are a few dingers and alerts that annoy my favorite person so out they go.

Last edited:

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Howdy Flaps!

I wouldn't lament the lack of air-ride in a 10 year old T'Reg. I haven't seen it as much on T'Regs yet, but we get a fair number of people with Audi Allroads (that are just a fee years older) looking to replace the air suspension with steel due to the cost of replacing the components as they fail -- and it's a total PITA to do that in the Allroad because it has a number of control modules that expect to talk to that suspension system w/o any option to tell them "Pretend you're a normal A6 now". It might not be as problematical in a T'reg, but the moral of the story is that those air suspensions, while cool, come with whopping potential repair costs.

-Uwe-

Flaps10

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=219700
Okay I have a tranny question (no, not that kind)

The '04 has a hard shift on occasion both to and from 4th and 5th gear. Did some reading and found I'm not alone. One poster mentioned that there is a tranny software update. My question is, can I use vcds to perform this upgrade and where would I find the "patch" needed to smooth out the thump?
I understand that many times the hard shift leads to the valve body needing replaced. I already have a line on the place that makes good ones, and the job doesn't scare me. Just thought I'd try the easy way out before dropping the pan.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Nope, VCDS does not do software updates.

What software version is actually in the TCU?

-Uwe-

Flaps10

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=219700
Don't know yet, I just got my cable yesterday and I'm in the middle of moving. I hope to try it out in the next couple of days