Medical technology - is society doomed?

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
Oh, yes. I have a private, non-shared room... with a great view out the window of the intersection of Gang and Initiation Streets. :p

In all seriousness, somebody was launching bottle rockets at the building last night.....

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
^^^ common problem down here, but we call it dihydrogen monoxide poisoning. I've been able to successfully avoid the complaint by following a strict medical regime that I have faithfully followed for many years now: just drink beer!!

Don

PS: Other than your tendency for right-leaning politics, and your excellent sense of humor, I'm not sure of your spiritual persuasion. But, if you have an affinity with the beliefs of the Independent Order of Rechabites (if you do- I would urge you to reconsider your beliefs), I have an alternative solution that comes in pill-form: At a very reasonable cost to you, I'll send you up a bottle of my patented and very potent De-hydated water pills - just add water!!

PPS: Sounds like you have progressed past the diagnostic stage and into the fixing phase - a good thing (wouldn't it be nice if humans had an OBD port?)!!

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
^^^ common problem down here, but we call it dihydrogen monoxide poisoning. I've been able to successfully avoid the complaint by following a strict medical regime that I have faithfully followed for many years now: just drink beer!!
Yeah, but where are we supposed to get kangaroo urine north of the equator? ;)

PS: Other than your tendency for right-leaning politics, and your excellent sense of humor, I'm not sure of your spiritual persuasion. But, if you have an affinity with the beliefs of the Independent Order of Rechabites (if you do- I would urge you to reconsider your beliefs), I have an alternative solution that comes in pill-form: At a very reasonable cost to you, I'll send you up a bottle of my patented and very potent De-hydated water pills - just add water!!
Medical science has invented similar thing called Vitamin Pee, ie Lasix. An 80 mg injection is good for 2000 mg of pee in the toilet over the next four hours! Guess who gets injected with 80 mg twice a day? :D My superstition, err I mean spiritual persuasion is a private matter for business reasons. Alcoholism has run in my family for many generations, and I personally will never touch the stuff even if it is the best/only medical cure. In all seriousness, the mere smell of beer makes me want to vomit, and brings back all kinds of bad memories of my childhood.....

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
For those keeping score at home, I have already peed out the equivalent of 1.25 Stones of excess water. Doctor said to be prepared to leave the hospital 2.0 to 3.0 Stones lighter.....

Flaps10

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=219700
28 to 42 pounds of water. As much as 7 gallons. Dude.

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
28 to 42 pounds of water. As much as 7 gallons. Dude.
Flaps10: I seriously hope that vreihen's attending physician isn't a devotee of Gandhi's beliefs (also shared by Jim Morrison) - making the patient drink that much urine would be tantamount to torture!

Don

PS: verhein: Is the cure better than the complaint- diuretics can have some fairly unpleasant side-effects ?

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
Vitamin P has run its course, and did not fix the problem. They just changed to vitamin P++, and are calling for reinforcements from another hospital.....

Jack@European_Parts

NostraJackAss
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
At least give the junkyard a shot Art........."FIGHT" for fuck sake! ...........don't just lay down.

You don't have my permission to leave yet ..........do it for the potential steak lottery.

Art is being transferred to another facility.

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
Art is being transferred to another facility.
...a facility being overwhelmed by a "pneumonia epidemic" about 4 miles up the street at Hillary's house. :p

They were ready to release me yesterday, until they ran a final test that scared the cardiologist enough where he sent me off for another opinion at a bigger/better specialty hospital. Awaiting my transportation now, probably hit rush hour traffic..... :(

Flaps10

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=219700
In my state it would be counted for Hillary anyway (possibly more than once), so rest easy.

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
Arrived at my new facility, which is a regional trauma center and strong research hospital. They seriously ran more tests between 9:00 PM and midnight last night than the other hospital did in a week! Doctor *team* here is way more optimistic than Dr. Killjoy and his bad bedside manners back in the hood.

The one gotcha is that their meal services absolutely suck. At 10 PM last night, I tried to head off delivery of scrambled eggs...which are usually the default first breakfast menu for your patient and merely seeing them causes me to projectile vomit. Long story short, we had breakfast theater this morning, after they delivered as expected (and an hour later than anyone else). Ditto for lunch, more goobies and late again. They didn't even try to bring me a generic dinner tray for dinner, and the nurse scrounged their patient snack refrigerator for a turkey sandwich at 7:15 PM when it was obvious they were going to bring anything again. Needles to say, I am going to take Jack's famous dinner theater to the next level if they show with eggs again tomorrow morning.....

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
Speaking of medical technology, what do you get when you cage an IT person for several days in a place with zero cable management?

I've been using these standard velcro network cable straps for routing the various hoses and probes near my bed. When they swapped IV sites, the tape they used didn't stick. I took matters into my own hands, pun intended. I think that more doctors and fellows here have checked me out just to see the velcro...and not one of them has even suggested that it be changed out for tape.....