Retrofit: Soundaktor into non R or GTI (NAR) models?

quailallstar

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=53119
Looking for information on potentially retrofitting a 2016 Golf Sportwagen TSI with the Soundaktor. Not sure if this is even a possibility as I suspect the Soundaktor runs in conjunction with the ECU?

If you don't know what the Soundaktor is see this link https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soundaktor

CO88cO6.jpg

attachment.php

soundaktor_zpsvili9wkv.jpg

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC424490
Wouldn't something like this be easier and better in every way? :)

Really though, the J869 Control unit for structure-borne sound is a separate diagnostic-capable control unit that's connected to the powertrain CAN. It looks to have terminals 15 (switched power) and 31 (ground) as well as CAN-Hi and CAN-Lo. Then it has two wires going out to the speaker itself (R214).

Last edited:

golfi_vend

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=195131
On older models the issue was that ECU didn't supply needed data to Can-BUS so the actuator didn't work. Only way you could check is to retrofit i guess.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I guess the question is whether the car has the messages that the Soundsktor listens for on the CAN bus.

My guess is it would probably work if it were installed and wired correctly, and the corresponding bit in the Gateway Installation List were turned on. But I can't be sure.

Personally, I despise the sounds these things make because to me, they sound so artificial.

-Uwe-

m87a

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=156900
bronken retrofited these, it seems they are vin tied to GTD & GTI, he has a modul but a lot of people disconnect them, me included, don't like fake sound

Reactions: Uwe

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
a lot of people disconnect them, me included, don't like fake sound
Far easier than physically disconnecting: Hit the adaptation channel in them and crank it down from 100 to 0. :cool:

-Uwe-

m87a

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=156900
for mk7 yes, but for mk6 there is no adaptation channel?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001

D-Dub

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=272151
probably simpler and better to put a louder exhaust on it, that way you get both sound and performance, instead of just fake sound and no performance.

m87a

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=156900
shipping one from me to your place would cost more than a new one from stealer ship :facepalm:

Reactions: Uwe

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
probably simpler and better to put a louder exhaust on it, that way you get both sound and performance, instead of just fake sound and no performance.

D-Dub: Even simpler - make an MP3 recording and play-it when the need to fantasize becomes overwhelming!! :D

Don

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
D-Dub: Even simpler - make an MP3 recording and play-it when the need to fantasize becomes overwhelming!! :D
Hey, there's an idea for an app for a phone... Get the phone RPM and Load data (gee, I wonder how that could be done?) and have it do Soundactor-like stuff though the car's audio system..

-Uwe-

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
Hey, there's an idea for an app for a phone... Get the phone RPM and Load data (gee, I wonder how that could be done?) and have it do Soundactor-like stuff though the car's audio system..

-Uwe-
When I was working at Lotus in the early 1990's we developed an add-on gizmo that measured RPM and throttle position then synthesised "nice" engine sounds which got fed into the car audio. We even got granted a (now lapsed) US Patent for it.

It was fun driving a car that could sound like a 4-cylinder, flat-6 or V8 at will :D

None of the car manufacturers were interested then, but most of them are fitting similar system now - as usual we were about 20 years ahead of our time :confused: