MK4 bad cluster and cant find and info on how to get pin code from clusters

stowburb

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=77250
I have searched everywhere here and cant find and info.I have an '02 MK4 wagon that has a shorted k line to ground, have determined it is the cluster and i cant communicate with it or any other modules BTW.
I have a good used cluster with the same exact numbers as my cluster and I have an autoscan log file from vehicle before the cluster took a dive.
I need some info as to how I can get the PIN codes from clusters and how to program the used cluster to my vehicle with my VCDS.

Could someone here please,please help me with this so it can get vehicle inspected and be done with this issue?
i have not been able to find this info anywhere.
Thanks.
Chris

Zenerdiode

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=24330
I need some info as to how I can get the PIN codes from clusters and how to program the used cluster to my vehicle with my VCDS.
The full official line is you have to go to a Dealer.
The slightly less official line is an Automotive Locksmith may be able to recover your PIN for you.

Anything else tends to fall ouside of VCDS discussion.

Jack@European_Parts

NostraJackAss
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
I can do a data transfer, as long as you prove ownership and receipt of used cluster.
All equipment must be stock.

Jetta 97

Professional User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=81680
I have searched everywhere here and cant find and info.I have an '02 MK4 wagon that has a shorted k line to ground, have determined it is the cluster and i cant communicate with it or any other modules BTW.
I have a good used cluster with the same exact numbers as my cluster and I have an autoscan log file from vehicle before the cluster took a dive.

Could someone here please,please help me with this so it can get vehicle inspected and be done with this issue?
i have not been able to find this info anywhere.
Thanks.
Chris
You need to have different tool besides VCDS to get Pin (SKC) form both clusters.
Since your car has Immobilizer 3 generation , you will need Pin form your cluster and Donor cluster to be able to adopt it.

Jack@European_Parts

NostraJackAss
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Data transfer requires no pins and limited documentation while taking the stress out of all of it.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
The full official line is you have to go to a Dealer.
On a car that old, I don't have much confidence that dealers are able to do it anymore 'cause I've heard so much complaining about ODIS not properly supporting pre Mk.5 cars.

Data transfer requires no pins and limited documentation while taking the stress out of all of it.
Sure, but then the car's owner doesn't have the PIN to use in the future -- unless of course you're providing that as part of the service?

-Uwe-

Jack@European_Parts

NostraJackAss
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Sure, but then the car's owner doesn't have the PIN to use in the future -- unless of course you're providing that as part of the service?

-Uwe-
I do if they authenticate with the documentation..........
I give them a choice.........

I even offer to allow the customer to create their own PIN, so VW doesn't know their information on file anymore.

We also offer to shut the Immobilizer function off in the cluster, and in the engine ecu's K line or CAN cars.

This way if a harness or key coil is misdiagnosed.......it doesn't matter.
This is especially helpful when a part is also no longer available due to being obsolete .

Further verified VCDS customers get a discount.

Last edited:
Reactions: Uwe

Jack@European_Parts

NostraJackAss
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
How's this OP ..........submit proper documentation through contact form, pay freight, get your PIN data, or the data transfer free for this transaction.

All I ask is you follow up in the thread to state how we do our services.........and legitimately!

It always seems in history when I do this............ it gets the mass solicitors upset. :p

You have 24 hours to answer, because I only do one totally free transaction a week on average...........usually after a well written hard luck story.

They don't even know it.......... until the money is returned with their purchase.

Jack is crazy........yes? Yes he is.............

stowburb

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=77250
What do you mean by "no pins"? I have the AUTO SCAN from my vehicle before the cluster died and i have an AUTO SCAN with the used cluster plugged into my vehicle are you saying i dont need said pin and i have the info i need already?i purchased a used cluster from LKQ so only proof i have of ownership of the replacement cluster is the debit card receipt they gave me when i bought it.

Jack@European_Parts

NostraJackAss
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
That is sufficient for me sir and if you want pins you must complete the authentication process to prove you are you and to show ownership or custodial permission.

stowburb

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=77250
thanks, Jack, I understand, but you really didnt answer my questions. I know how to code modules, what I want to know is do I have everything as far as info from both clusters to be able to program the used cluster to my vehicle with the AUTO SCANS that I have from each cluster and use my VCDS or do i have to send my clusters to someone like yourself for them to retrieve this said "top secret pin code" and then be able to code the cluster to my vehicle?

Jack@European_Parts

NostraJackAss
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
thanks, Jack, I understand, but you really didnt answer my questions. I know how to code modules, what I want to know is do I have everything as far as info from both clusters to be able to program the used cluster to my vehicle with the AUTO SCANS that I have from each cluster and use my VCDS or do i have to send my clusters to someone like yourself for them to retrieve this said "top secret pin code" and then be able to code the cluster to my vehicle?
You need to send all the equipment in with documentation.
In this case all keys, engine ecu, and clusters.

Auto-scans are not used to determine a pin nowadays, however, it is possible to be done that way.

Immobilizer background RTFB :http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/faq_4.php#4.15

.15 How do I obtain an SKC for Immobilizer and Key-Matching functions?
We do not know of any way to retrieve an SKC for VW/Audi/SEAT/Skoda vehicles. Prior to 2002, some vehicles were delivered with a scratch-off panel on a plastic tag that contained the 4 digit PIN code. Starting in 2002, dealerships implemented the WIN2 system to provide SKC's to their technicians and customers. Starting April 1, 2005, VW/Audi dealerships switched to the new GEKO system, whereby their factory scan tools dial up the factory while connected to a car. Under this system, the technician no longer sees the SKC at all and you will need to bring your vehicle into the dealer to have Immobilizer work performed. VCDS does not interact with the GEKO system. Check out our Immobilizer Page for more information and procedures.

Last edited:

stowburb

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=77250
So can I use info from scans and be able to get this used cluster working correctly in my vehicle and not have to pull those modules out and ship them?
This vehicle is my DD and the only transportation i have at the moment, My truck is in pieces right now and i'm unable to renew my tags on my Jetta because it wont pass emissions inspection with the cluster issue.is that what you mean by ....

Auto-scans are not used to determine a pin nowadays, however, it is possible to be done that way.

Jack@European_Parts

NostraJackAss
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
So can I use info from scans and be able to get this used cluster working correctly in my vehicle and not have to pull those modules out and ship them?
This vehicle is my DD and the only transportation i have at the moment, My truck is in pieces right now and i'm unable to renew my tags on my Jetta because it wont pass emissions inspection with the cluster issue.
See post 14

Post an auto-scan and a reason why it wont pass SMOG or inspection please?
Opps I see why now just reread post#1

If you are that handy at testing ....why not just run a K-line direct to DLC ......see Uwe I used DLC?

It's only one wire..........inspection solved!

Last edited:

stowburb

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=77250
The cluster will not let inspection machine communicate with any modules so no communication,no pass NCSI

Jack@European_Parts

NostraJackAss
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
The cluster will not let inspection machine communicate with any modules so no communication,no pass NCSI
Again smog only looks at OBD2, so if the K line is sent and wired directly from DLC to 0x01 and 0x02...... you are done!

This way it isn't as inconvenient or send in equipment..........and make the time concession to get a sticker.

RTFB and overlay with isolation at DLC as per WD.

Jetta 97

Professional User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=81680
No, you can not get Pin-s with only Auto scan or neither with VCDS.
Either you want to invest in tool that does it, or send stuff to someone who can do this.

Reactions: Uwe

Jack@European_Parts

NostraJackAss
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
No, you can not get Pin-s with only Auto scan or neither with VCDS.
Either you want to invest in tool that does it, or send stuff to someone who can do this.
Yes Marin correct.
You can't....... the OP can't, and most dealers can't, however, if security access is high enough, you can get access to the off line system via satellite or WOB.

There is a database in case the net was to fail..... and phoned in pins were in fact needed.

What other reason would there be to have the fields to enter the data in the VAS/ODIS or VCDS?:banghead:

All depends on pay grade..........It's a big club, and you are not in it!

Last edited: