Audi BRD engine suspect injector fault

Gavra

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=240855
Jack it's not coolant leak :)

As far as I know no-one in Australia have and know how to use PICO on diesel engine. I may be wrong but would be very careful about recommending someone taking into account that most of Australian engineers doesn't know that modern diesel have electric injectors and work above 1500 bar pressure.

Why no fault codes for a misfire?
Because this is diesel and have 10 times greater limit for setting up DTC for misfire comparing to petrol engine.

Jack@European_Parts

NostraJackAss
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Because this is diesel and have 10 times greater limit for setting up DTC for misfire comparing to petrol engine.
BS ........this can be seen by the crank G28 wave disruption.
Any PD here if slightly misfiring shows the light flashing......than again maybe VW deleted the stack here nefariously...... who knows anymore.
That's why I have to ask for FOD.

Jack it's not coolant leak :)
Maybe it is not ........however, that doesn't mean you negate testing or asking questions.

OP is the car dumping raw fuel out the tail pipe with the white smoke?

As far as I know no-one in Australia have and know how to use PICO on diesel engine. I may be wrong but would be very careful about recommending someone taking into account that most of Australian engineers doesn't know that modern diesel have electric injectors and work above 1500 bar pressure
You seem to assume an awful lot........Really, you don't think anyone in Australia knows how to use a scope.......?
You know what.........in last 10 years I rarely pull the scope out anymore, verse using the OEM sample rate through the scan tool.
Hell....... even a DVOM sample rate is so good now, I just use him on log.
I bet you use a strap on tool too.

GeKo not real Geko....... whatever!

I unlike you, am not always right.........:cool:

Gavra

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=240855
Jack again you show misreading and a lot of attitude ......do NOT twist my statements ......
As far as I know no-one in Australia have and know how to use PICO on diesel engine
I do work in Australia and exactly know what am I talking about.

Reactions: Uwe

Jack@European_Parts

NostraJackAss
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Jack again you show misreading and a lot of attitude ......do NOT twist my statements ......
As far as I know no-one in Australia have and know how to use PICO on diesel engine

I do work in Australia and exactly know what am I talking about.

I can't twist what you wrote ........those are in fact your statements sir.

Based on that quote above.......... it reads to me here in the USA "as if ".......... no one in Australia has a scope, and no one knows how to use it either.

Not an attitude at all.........:p
I merely asked a question.....................

I believe full well "You know what you are doing"! :thumbs:

ivagp

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=95551
i love when u two get together. ive been dying to ask op, do u or have u ever needed to add coolant. also the charge for testing the injector here in california is $35.00 dollars per injector

ExcelAutos

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=263112
yes BUT does Andrew know his diesel's ?
I was trying to give a better option than we are at, at the moment rob mate?

I am also trusting what the lads telling us & assume the vehicles not losing coolant?

His best option before spending his hard earned on unnecessary parts is to get the motor to a good technician imvho?

Jack@European_Parts

NostraJackAss
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
It costs no money & only time, to smell the tailpipe like two dogs socializing for raw fuel.

Second the coolant can be drained + flushed with water, then further running the engine temporarily on no coolant/water, to see if the smoke clears.

Robski

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=111643
I was trying to give a better option than we are at, at the moment rob mate?
are you asking me something here ?

ExcelAutos

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=263112
No mate, not unless you fancy a trip to Oz with the pico. Lol it's a bit far for me.....

Robski

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=111643
No mate, not unless you fancy a trip to Oz with the pico. Lol it's a bit far for me.....
not really the least I have to get that thing out the better !

OP what's the smell at the tail pipe ?

Last edited:

Peajar

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=245580
Ok, no unburnt diesel from the exhaust. After closer monitoring it appears most apparent around 1600-1800rpm ish. Maybe not injectors after all..... I still have no idea though. Some strange readings from the EGR so I'll try and capture some data to post up. I'll book it in for a compression test once I find a good diesel mechanic

Jack@European_Parts

NostraJackAss
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Maybe from coolant?:cool:

Some diesel engines have a coolant temp enhancer built into the pipe prior to EGR valve.
This is used to aid in heat transfer to coolant and help make interior heat.

If it does have one........
I would crimp or bypass the cooler.
See if this helps to isolate if you don't think it's a head gasket or other ingress point.

Here are some examples..........

Last edited:

ivagp

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=95551
the more I read this tread the more I'm thinking you have a dmf failure. from ur scan it must have a manual gear box

Jack@European_Parts

NostraJackAss
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
the more I read this tread the more I'm thinking you have a dmf failure. from ur scan it must have a manual gear box
All DMF flywheels and flex-plates should be banned and they do cause misfire symptoms and many drivability complaints !
In this case OP has white smoke, with no fuel residue of raw fuel in tail pipe.......
I think it can be safe to theorize, and not assume; that this car has a miss from incomplete combustion, & by means of coolant mixing with the process.

Peajar

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=245580
Unlikely DMF failure. Not that sort of feel. I'm not loosing coolant and recently replaced the oil cooler. Sorry, I think I forgot to mention that. No milky residue under oil filler cap either.

Could the EGR cause these types of symptoms?

Peajar

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=245580
Oh and the bellowing white smoke only happens very infrequently

Jack@European_Parts

NostraJackAss
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Okay........ let me know when you have corrected the very small intermittent coolant leak.........It takes very, very , very, very, very, very, VERY! "little" coolant to get a white smoke.......and it doesn't have to be in the engine oil.....and can be sporadic!

Might I suggest a UV dye added to oil and coolant of two very different colors........ further test with a UV light.