The Airplane thread

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
IDK I kind of like the P75

http://www.moneypop.com/business/th...l-ao&utm_content=blank&utm_term=4730&chrome=1

090615-F-1234P-005.jpg-67413.JPG

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
https://www.npr.org/2019/06/19/7342...aying-737-max-should-never-have-been-approved
Pilots Criticize Boeing, Saying 737 MAX 'Should Never Have Been Approved'
Sully said: "we shouldn't have to expect pilots to compensate for flawed designs."

No, but we should expect pilots to be able to recognize when an automated system has failed and to be able to hand-fly the airplane. MCAS works as designed, until it fails. When pilots don't recognize a system failure, bad things happen. Much like AF 447 ten years ago.

-Uwe-

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
It's the problem of fucking lazy people & relying on technology and than calling it a standard when it shouldn't be relied on & further lazy people in regulation department for certification reviews & that dont belong in the job criteria since no real experience in some cases & no different to when people rely on the OBD2 displayed in VCDS, versus doing true mechanical or electronic cross checks now isn't it?

Bruce

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
--------
Jack, I think the world has been changed to believe that the gizmos and gadgets in our lives tell the story, tell the truth. All of society seems to have moved into believing that electronics communicate reality and that you have to believe what these magic devices tell us. Older folks like us who grew through the time into the information age, know that the devices can be wrong, can be fooled, can report incompletely and we know that to truly understand, we need to know what the device is attempting to help us do better. They have no knowledge - well most do not. They have information collected by humans, coded and placed in their memory for future reference.

The problem as I see it is that we have begun to accept that the machines know better than we do; that because they can see and recall so much more information, they "know" best how to respond.

Until they don't...

And then the humans who accepted all the "knowledge" and response these machines are capable, have indeed taken the lazy route of not learning the basic premises by which the system operates.

The Terminator movies may not be so far fetchd... machines may one day rule the lazy human.

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Jack, I think the world has been changed to believe that the gizmos and gadgets in our lives tell the story, tell the truth. All of society seems to have moved into believing that electronics communicate reality and that you have to believe what these magic devices tell us. Older folks like us who grew through the time into the information age, know that the devices can be wrong, can be fooled, can report incompletely and we know that to truly understand, we need to know what the device is attempting to help us do better. They have no knowledge - well most do not. They have information collected by humans, coded and placed in their memory for future reference.

The problem as I see it is that we have begun to accept that the machines know better than we do; that because they can see and recall so much more information, they "know" best how to respond.

Until they don't...

And then the humans who accepted all the "knowledge" and response these machines are capable, have indeed taken the lazy route of not learning the basic premises by which the system operates.

The Terminator movies may not be so far fetchd... machines may one day rule the lazy human.

Gcwmr4u.jpg

Bruce,

Well I take issue with it and if I'm the asshole because I want or try to force people to learn by using RTFB & some time doing some HW, versus a magic web search and no doubt, I find that YouTube videos & search engines are very helpful, however, seriously people need to know how shit works & to test it!

I often think of the solar sun storm and how many will die as result of not being able to tap a screen & for so much as a glass of water or to order a pizza delivered.

Technology is great and also comes with its lean toward too many dependencies!

Signed the ASSHOLE!

CcVqg1FUcAA1B93.jpg

Bruce

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
--------
Bruce,

Well I take issue with it and if I'm the asshole because I want or try to force people to learn by using RTFB & some time doing some HW, versus a magic web search and no doubt, I find that YouTube videos & search engines are very helpful, however, seriously people need to know how shit works & to test it!

I often think of the solar sun storm and how many will die as result of not being able to tap a screen & for so much as a glass of water or to order a pizza delivered.

Technology is great and also comes with its lean toward too many dependencies!

Signed the ASSHOLE!

It appears I offended but I don't understand how. I believe I was concurring with your points that people have been taught to depend on their gizmos and gadgets and no longer have the curiosity to learn what makes the gizmos and gadgets function. Is that not the point of your rant? Is that not what you have been saying in this forum forever?

My point was that the world has systemically jumped into the worship of such devices - that the devices are the all knowing wise ones to which we should turn for all answers. Young people seem to have embraced this and have been taught that the devices are all knowing.

That I believe should echo with your ideas.

Color me confused by your words directed to me.

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
No Bruce you didn't offend me, no not at all, I agree, I just take issue with the actual state of what we see.

Just makes me sick to watch everything be considered disposable & in many once thriving service industries.

That would be my poor writing skills & to conveying my warped thought process.

Often why people get offended by me because either they dont know me ,
misinterpret my sense of humor from the aforementioned or im just being an asshole by default.

Last edited:

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
I went to see old man yesterday and we were talking about how as a retired FAA officer, he would rather drive from NY to FL recently than get on any unsafe aircraft if he couldn't ramp them!
Plus I had some ball busting to do on my perception of the AD's on the Boeing fiasco, because I was RIGHT !
I'm not always right but it's especially nice to be right when it's your dad, because it's hard to get capitulation when the apple doesnt fall far!

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001