Off Road Retrofit

Upsidedown

Reaction score
The 170 TDi Skoda Yeti was imported into New Zealand as the Monte Carlo version without the "Off Road" function. The latter is very similar to, if not the same as, VW's 4 Motion. I had the impression from reading various web sites that apart from the hill descent control, judicial use of the accelerator and brakes could pretty much replicate the "off road" function.

However on further research I have found that the Off Road function, among other things, increases the effect of the electronic diff lock (i.e. making it a bit more like a true diff lock.) by activating a more aggressive action of the ABS. This could make the difference in some muddy or snowy conditions.

Unfortunately Skoda say that the "Off Road" function cannot be retro-fitted - although I am not entirely convinced of this. I am therefore searching for an alternative that might help in some the tricky conditions.

A post on a VW site ( http://www.mytiguan.com/index.php?/topic/32362-offroad-function-button-how2/ ) shows how to retrofit the off road function for a Tiguan using a Ross-Tech VCDS. Before I purchase a VCDS I'd be interested to know if has anybody achieved the same with a Yeti?

golfi_vend

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=195131
Very hard to answer as VCDS just displays what the control module knows and is willing to share. - So to speak.
For starters it would be helping if you'd know the ABS p/n of your car and maybe find a autoscan from some other car with the offroad function active.

Reactions: Uwe

Upsidedown

Reaction score
Good suggestions thanks. I will try and track somebody down with a VCDS, but in the meantime does anybody have the info that golfi_vend talks about?

Upsidedown

Reaction score
I have now sourced an "Off Road" switch from Skoda and have found out how to fit it by removing one of the existing blanks. It looks like quite an easy job although getting the wiring through the firewall to the engine bay may be a bit more difficult.

Importantly I have found that the combined ABS hydraulic unit and its associated electronic controller - which is the key part for the Off Road EDL - are the same part number for my vehicle both with and without the Off Road function Although I have a 2015 model I suspect that possibly its the same unit across the range (manufactured that year?)

So what I still need is:

(a) The wiring pin configurations from the switch to the ECU (and of course a couple of wires to connect the two together) and

(b) The code for the Off Road function in the ABS module of the VCDS.

So as golfi_vend suggested asking, does anybody have the switch and ECU pin configurations and / or the coding for the ABS with the Off Road function activated? (i.e.The pin config and / or a VCDS printout from a F/L Yeti with a factory fitted Off Road switch but preferably a 2015 or 2016 model.) Any info is likely to be helpful (e.g. the wiring pin config just for the switch) and gratefully received.