VCDS and Boost specified

senna1

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=231631
Hi
When using vcds to view, Boost,, Is the Boost shown absolute, or just gauge pressure,, For example is 2500 m/bar actual boost pressure from the turbo into
the engine, or atmospheric pressure of 1000m/bar at sea level, And 1500 M/bar of boost.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I don't think I've ever seen anything except absolute pressures. Absolute pressure in the manifold is, after all, what the engine cares about, while relative ("gauge") pressure above ambient is not really relevant to its operation.

-Uwe-

senna1

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=231631
I don't think I've ever seen anything except absolute pressures. Absolute pressure in the manifold is, after all, what the engine cares about, while relative ("gauge") pressure above ambient is not really relevant to its operation.

-Uwe-
I've found my Disc:thumbs: for the the engine i was working on and it is in Absolute.

BlueR32

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=58325
IME, in the engineering and scientific communities virtually everything is absolute to eliminate variables in atmospheric pressure.

Last edited:

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337

senna1

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=231631
Hi Jack.

Good links, not read through the whole site or products, My standalone ecu's run most things including launch/traction control and
turbo engine and N/a. using Alpha-N or speed Density. And some ecu's blending both like M,squirt.The reason i asked about the boost being absolute total,
I have a map from a Bosch ecu EDC15. using winols, of the Boost table, which at 1950,mbar would be approx 1,bar of boost depending on sea level, if the table is absolute, if not then boost of nearly 2,bar seemed a lot for a small Diesel std engine.

As UWE Say Absolute pressure in the manifold is, after all, what the engine cares about, while relative ("gauge") pressure above ambient is not really relevant to its operation.