Anyone with a WVW Vin - Gen 4 Immobilizer tested new/used coded hardware in vehicle?

BlueR32

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=58325
From reading the Ross-Tech Wiki it appears that my vehicle has the gen 4 Immobilizer that generates a new "challenge value" every time the 12v terminal is switched on. What I am trying to determine from some member's actual firsthand experience or direct knowledge is if it's possible to substitute a new/used differently coded components such as an ECU, Gauge cluster, etc. to check it's coding and adaptation values without causing the immobilizer to activate or causing any "lockout" of the component for actual use. Obviously if one checking multiple components, when you re-install the original ECU, Gauge cluster, etc. then it would not have the correct IM4 "challenge value" stored. I don't know if the system automatically updates the challenge value in all coded components so there is no issues or if some process is required to allow the IM4 system to know that the proper coded OEM ECU, etc. is now installed.

The last thing I want to do is trigger the IM4 system with a different "challenge value" that can only be resolved by taking the vehicle to a VW dealer and having them charge me for their system to phone Germany to confirm the properly coded components are actually installed.

If this thread needs to be moved to a different forum section, please advised. I am a VCDS owner but I didn't have my registration info. available when I first registered.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
What make/model/year of car are you asking about here?

-Uwe-

Jetta 97

Professional User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=81680
In Global if you do not start car , replacing any of immobilizer components will not make anything to your original stuff.Only problem will happen with ABS module , in MK5 it will loose all sensor adaptation. in MK6 it will loose CODING and sensor adaptation.
But if you do full auto scan before you go to swap parts , then you have back up and it can be fixed with VCDS.

What exactly you want to do?
And of course as UWE ask make/model/year?

Last edited:

BlueR32

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=58325
Thanks for the replies. The vehicle is a 2008 VW MKV R32. The objective is to test some used hardware components that are obviously coded. The parts will be used for a hot engine test stand. The only means I currently have to check out the component coding/adaptation is with VCDS.

Also, I have read that some "tuners" change the ECU I.D. number when they reprogram the ECU. Is it possible to change the I.D. number with VCDS?

Thanks much for the help!

Jetta 97

Professional User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=81680
Thanks for the replies. The vehicle is a 2008 VW MKV R32. The objective is to test some used hardware components that are obviously coded. The parts will be used for a hot engine test stand. The only means I currently have to check out the component coding/adaptation is with VCDS.

Also, I have read that some "tuners" change the ECU I.D. number when they reprogram the ECU. Is it possible to change the I.D. number with VCDS?

Thanks much for the help!
What components, There is like 10 modules in that car?
Tell me exactly what you want to swap and test?

BlueR32

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=58325
What components, There is like 10 modules in that car?
Tell me exactly what you want to swap and test?
For the hot engine test stand I will be using the ECU, Gauge cluster, Ignition switch & key and the accelerator pedal. All components except the accelerator pedal are from the same wrecked 2008 R32.

BlueR32

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=58325

Jetta 97

Professional User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=81680
For the hot engine test stand I will be using the ECU, Gauge cluster, Ignition switch & key and the accelerator pedal. All components except the accelerator pedal are from the same wrecked 2008 R32.
If you put cluster, ECU and keys form other car , your car will start and run, but your ABS will loose all adaptations. Once you put it back original stuff you will need to readopt sensors.
I suggest you run full auto scan , and save it somewhere just in case if you loose ABS coding, which should not happen on 2008 R32.

If you need help with Programing used components , contact me direct, I can do that.