2016 A3 - Disable Parking Lights - US Spec?

AudiSportB5S4

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=58275
Damn these things!

So I changed 4 and 5 to not active.. No dice. Then I tried also changing 3 to not active - also no dice.

I changed (9)-Leuchte23SL HLC10-Lichtfunktion D 23 {this is the L/H side) and (9)-Leuchte24SL HRA65-Lichtfunktion D 24 {this is the R/H side) and sure enough that illuminated the taillight.

m_bolc

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=230356
Can you take a look at the bulb type in the amber marker?
That way I can at least narrow down if I'm looking for an LED or not.

AudiSportB5S4

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=58275
Can you take a look at the bulb type in the amber marker?
That way I can at least narrow down if I'm looking for an LED or not.

It is indeed an LED. It appears to be 3 small LEDs on each side.

m_bolc

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=230356
Good, I'll filter your channel map and make another educated guess at what channel we want to turn off.

AudiSportB5S4

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=58275
Did you ever check a wiring diagram to determine which specific bulbs you are trying to turn off? There should be a standardized component identifier that would make it easier to find out what specifically may be able to be changed in Adaptation channels.

How can we take this approach? Do they publish official wiring diagrams or is that something I'd have to try and source?

AudiSportB5S4

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=58275
bump.. Was wondering if anyone has thought about this any further :). I have to get that wiring diagram, was trying to see if my buddy who worked @ Audi could get me in there

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
^^^ AudiSportB5S4: You can register on Erwin and subscribe to 1 hour's usage for just €7.00 (an hour is all you should need to download the WD - it's called "basic equipment"). Not sure what the exchange rate is for the mighty USD, but it's got to be less than a couple of Big Macs (which I understand to be the staple diet up there)!! This unlike the situation down here in the antipodes where I need to make an appointment with a bank manager to deal-with the AUD exchange rate for 1 hour's usage of Erwin!

Anyhow - levity aside, not sure if you are aware (my apology in advance if you are), but the naming convention that is used on the "Leuchte" channels tells you which pin the lamp is connected-to (for WD purposes).

For example, in your post #41 above, you identified the two Leuchte channels:
  • Leuchte23SL HLC10, and
  • Leuchte24SL HRA65
The L in LC10 means that the lamp is on the Left side of the car (i.e. LINK in German) and C10 means that the lamp is connected-to (i.e. wired-to) pin #10 on socket C of the BCM.
Similarly, the R in RA65 means that the lamp is on the Right side of the car (i.e. RECHT in German) and A65 means that the lamp is connected-to (i.e. wired-to) pin #65 on socket A of the BCM

So when you have identified the correct lamps on the WD, simply type-in the allied BCM socket/pin number in the VCDS search-box on the adaptation screen (in the order shown above) to locate the correct Leuchte channel-set. Easy-peazy-lemon squeezy!!
Don

PS: When you are on the Erwin site, don't try to find the lamp circuit on the WD online. Instead, your objective should be to use the online time to download as much information as you can about your Audi (including the WD, of course). You can search for the lamp ciruit later, once you have all the files resident on your laptop/PC.

Last edited:

AudiSportB5S4

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=58275
Nice! Boatload of info there. I didn't know any of it :D

Thanks!

Reactions: Uwe

AudiSportB5S4

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=58275
Hi there forum - so just an update - I downloaded the wiring diagram for my car. It's almost as foreign to me as trying to read the German menus in the adaption channel with Google Translate! LOL.

What exactly am I looking for to help me decode which module it would be back in the list? I have found what it's called - the "front sidemarker lamp bulb". Would appreciate any further help!

Dana

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
This may be helpful: How to read wiring diagrams - the videos (final version)

Let us know which wiring diagram number you are using.

The bulb(s) in question should have identifiers (i.e. M2, M6, etc) in the wiring diagram and the BCM terminal numbers that control the light in questions may be helpful as well. Since things have changed since you last posted an Adp map please run another with the latest Beta and paste it here. The Auto-Scan with VIN (for car specific repair info) would be helpful also.

AudiSportB5S4

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=58275
Thanks, Dana! I re-ran the map yesterday so I can post that here later tonight when home on personal computer.

The bulbs seem to be: M33 (left front) and M34 (right front). The wiring diagram I'm using is: No. 97 / 13 for left and 17 for right.

Dana

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
OK I ended up in these diagrams:

# 20 Headlamps HID with range control , (8IG) from March 2012
# 87 Standard equipment (NAR) , (L0L),(5C1) from November 2013

Both show splices between M34 and M33 which are controlled by J519 on: T73a/59 (via blue/brown wire). You may want to pull one of those bulbs and create a fault code just to make sure we are looking at the correct component (M33/34).

Problem is: Splice C65 Side marker lamp positive connection 1 , Splice B642 Positive connection (58) (in main wiring harness) -and- Splice W41 Positive connection (58) (in license plate lamp wiring harness) are shown in the Standard equipment diagrams so turning off that function via diagnostics doesn't appear to be possible because it would (in theory - providing the diagram is correct) kill the plate lights.

See what happens when you pull the bulb but I think:
M5 is the turn signal function
M33 is the side marker and plate function

We need to tread very lightly when it comes to copyrighted docs but I'm basing this on 20 / 4:
6UMw36n6A3dwdQDJejk8ttMdvxhXL.jpg

Dana

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
P.S. after looking at your pic in post #28 I wonder if that isn't M1 - Left position lamp bulb instead. If so that's on a gray/black trace back to T46b/10 and it appears to be far more likely to be able to kill it via diagnostics since that isn't a shared splice.

AudiSportB5S4

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=58275
Thanks for your work on that, Dana! Yeah, I mean definitely could be the one you mentioned. Is there any similarlity between language used over the years? I ask because in my '09 A4 I was able to in the long coding helper uncheck a box to de-activate the same bulbs found on the B8 A4.. It was called disable north american parking lights, or something along those lines.. So whatever was used to figure out how that was de-coded could potentially help in at least the terminology Audi uses for this damn thing!

Here is the central electric map that I pulled yesterday using the latest release.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/podbkzsjwl43v1i/adpmap-09-5Q0-937-085-AH.CSV?dl=0

AudiSportB5S4

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=58275
Damn.. My Erwin subscription expired I was going to go back in download the B8 wiring diagram to see if that bulb was similarly tagged as you mentioned above. Doh! $70 in two days is a little bit too much for exploratory research LOL.

Dana

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
I'm not saying the B8 direction is a waste - but those were the good old days.

Coding doesn't handle much anymore, heck most 2017.5 + production MQBs don't even use coding in the BCM anymore, so we're stuck with Adaptation alone. If I'm in a B8 diagram for another reason I'll check to see what they happened to call the headlight location side marker/parking light.

In the meanwhile please try to pull that bulb to see what fault codes are set. That may or may not help so I would NOT pull the bumper if it isn't accessible.

Another thing you may want to do is try Selective Output tests. The two I see that appear to be relevant are:
[*IDE05839-MAS01167*] Parking light - Actuation time (Should be a "Parking" light test)
[*MAS03835-MAS01167*] Parking light - Actuation time (Should be a "Side Light" test)​

If those have different results that could help determine the Adp location but this is a stretch. I don't want to give you false hope.

Reactions: Uwe

hadez16

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=289891
Did this ever come to a solution?

AudiSportB5S4

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=58275
Did this ever come to a solution?

Not yet.. Hoping to get there soon. Every time I look at those lights I know they're laughing at me.

I'm going to try what Dana suggested over the weekend when I have some time to kill.

hadez16

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=289891
Could you post your coding of unit 09?
I have the same task here, but exactly the other way around ;) someone wants to re-activate these lights (re-import)

I have data of that car and I'm trying to sort this out...

Back