Online April fools day jokes/pranks

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
I heard that Google's prank lost people their jobs and they quickly withdrew it earlier today.....

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
Funny story. I was sitting at my desk at work about an hour ago, and received an email from the FBI. Given the date is April 1st, the first thing that I did was validate the SMTP message headers were not forged. When I told my boss about it, he thought that I was pulling a prank.....

Jef

Ross-Tech Employee
Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
The problem with the Proton pack, the software package that come with it installs a rootkit onto your computer.

Da Tow'd

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=217062
Yesterday making my breakfast, I put two slices of bread in the toaster and tried to push the handle down.
First thought was the knob was seized. Then noticed the cord coming out where it wasn't before.
She said with a laugh that she was just dumping out all the crumbs and must have put it back backwards.
I'll get even
Hank

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
Funny story. I was sitting at my desk at work about an hour ago, and received an email from the FBI. Given the date is April 1st, the first thing that I did was validate the SMTP message headers were not forged. When I told my boss about it, he thought that I was pulling a prank.....

Geez, April Fools is not ending this year! The email above was to a cyber security briefing, at the FBI's NYC office. They wanted to let large organizations in the area know what services they offer, what the major cyber-threats are, etc. I submitted my RSVP, and marked my calendar for the event in mid-May.

This afternoon, I received an urgent email from the FBI agent organizing this event. It seems that they need to run basic criminal background checks on all attendees, and will not let anyone into the building for the briefing without both the background check and a screening at the door. Oh, but no problem, just email me your date of birth and social security number ASAP and we'll get you processed. (Or you can call the phone number in the email and provide it by telephone.) If the email headers did not look absolutely authentic to me, I would swear it was a scam!

Anyway, it appears that I know more about social engineering, email privacy, and e-discovery than the FBI's cyber crimes unit. It honestly isn't worth the hassle of a trip to NYC if I will wind up teaching them more than they can teach me. I'm stuck with an ethical dilemma, though. Should I report the "social engineering scam" to the FBI's cyber crimes unit, or just let it slide? Either way, I'm not attending the briefing due to the need for submitting PII.....

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
After pondering the ethical question overnight, I decided to seek an opinion from the physical security folks where I work. As I read them the message over the phone, two people both said that it sounded like a scam to them. Long story short, my employer rates having an assigned FBI liaison from the criminal investigation side of the FBI. I turned the email over to them, to go run a background check on their own cyber crimes unit. I'm honestly wondering if one of their agents didn't fall for a phishing scam, and their user account is being used to scam others.

For anyone who has their hopes up about Hillary Clinton being prosecuted for her email server stuff, keep in mind that the FBI is the lead agency in that investigation. Given the scammy action by an agent in their cyber crimes unit, I suspect that the only thing they will discover on Hildabeast's mail server are bribe attempts from Nigerian princes..... :D

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
The results of the FBI background check that I ran on the FBI agent came back as legitimate. Shortly afterward, I received a voicemail from the special agent, telling me to look up their main switchboard number and ask for them by name.

At this point (especially after just having cleared the state CCW permit process and federal NICS check in the past few weeks), I do not feel that it is worth having my privacy violated with another government entity to attend a briefing that my tax money pays for. Besides, they might discover my permanent record(*) from high school that the principal used to threaten us with, and find out that I turned in a 10th grade english essay a day late back in 1981. Or, even worse, they could discover find my secret service file for threatening Henry Kissinger with veal..... :rolleyes:

(*) "Permanent records" were an idle threat, since they cannot release them to anyone thanks to FERPA. Not to give any ideas to kids, but I turned 18 early in my senior year of high school and made the school accept *my* signature on my quarterly report cards instead of having my parents sign it.

Reactions: Uwe