Is it Possible?

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
I've sung it's praises before, but I still beleive that the innocuous Codinglog.txt file is a nifty and much undervalued facility in the VCDS arsenal of fault-finding weapons! But currently, the CodingLog.txt file sits alone (lonely?) in the Ross Tech subdirectory as a kind-of stand-alone and long forgotten prodigal-son (yeah, perhaps the analogy is a little floral)!

Has there been any thought about bringing this file back into the mainstream cable operation?

What I'm suggesting is the inclusion of an Un-Doit! facility in the adaptation/coding screens. More thought is needed about how this would work in detail, but the ability of reversing a tweak to the original settings is the intended outcome. I'm aware of the CodingLog.txt file's idiosyncrasy regarding the fidelity of before-after records when the control module rejects a change. But this shouldn't matter for the suggestion, because the "old" setting would be unchanged and the "Un-Doit!" request would (attempt to) change an already existing setting.

As an initial thought prompt, a rudimentary "Un-Doit!" tab could simply reference the last record in the Codinglog.txt file, or the user could select their record of choice from the list in a more sophisticated version. Once selected, the application could automatically load the old setting into the Coding/adaptation screen and the user then confirms the change in the normal fashion.

I'm not sure of the market segregation for cable sales between "professional" users, and "domestic" users, but the fact is that both market segments make errors, and such a facility would help when a coding/adaptation change goes pear-shape.

Any thoughts?

Don

Last edited:

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Any thoughts?
I wonder whether the presence of an "Undo" feature wouldn't induce overconfidence in some people...

-Uwe-

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
I wonder whether the presence of an "Undo" feature wouldn't induce overconfidence in some people...

-Uwe-
Uwe: overconfidence? Perhaps-I hadn't contemplated this aspect of the function!
The existence of a Un-Doit key could be either a help, or a hindrance to the "overconfident" cable user.
Thanks for the response.

Don

Sebastian

Ross-Tech Employee
Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HN0-nnnnnn
The current ADP/COD logs don't contain feedback if the module actually accepted the changes, only what VCDS (or the user) tried to save. In addition, the logs don't contain possible Security Access codes. In short, if an undo-like function was really something we'd want - that would need to be done first.

Personally, I would much rather have a server based solution that stores the original settings for each car and keeps them there to be able to go "back to stock" - no matter if changes were logged on a particular machine or not. Of course, this would take care of the issue of multiple devices/methods, i.e. VCDS-Mobile changes are not recorded in VCDS and vice versa.