Active regeneration warning ?

marko0037

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=271068
This is my first post...so I wish all members a nice greetings. I am the owner MK7 Golf 1.6 TDI 105HP, 2015.

I wonder whether it is possible with VCDS to set an alert when active regeneration is starting?
For this purpose I install additional thermometer by which I measure the temperature on the exhaust pipe, but with this accessory I am not too satisfied.
At least, now I know that the car do the regeneration approximately every 430 km.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
This is my first post...so I wish all members a nice greetings. I am the owner MK7 Golf 1.6 TDI 105HP, 2015.
Welcome to our forum.

I wonder whether it is possible with VCDS to set an alert when active regeneration is starting?
I'm not aware of any way to accomplish that.

-Uwe-

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404

Mark:Hello - what a very interesting question!!! I'm absolutely certain that Uwe is correct - VCDS won't do this, but may I invite you to consider another approach (which needs some experimentation, but I think it could work)?
My mk7 is not a Diesel car, but my understanding is that the ECU takes its cue for regeneration (at least in part) from the exhaust gas pressure sensor G450, which measures the pressure difference in the flow of exhaust gas before and after the particulate filter (this being a principal factor that initiates regen). If you are able to "thieve" the signal from G450 for the purpose of a switch in a manner where the parasitic load of the new switch is not detected by the ECU, then you could have a solution to your question. Here's a section of the WD for G450 from a mk7 and a schemeatic of what I'm suggesting:

As I said, it needs some experimentation to ensure that the "borrowed" signal is not detected by the ECU, but hopefully the diagram is sufficient to demonstrate the suggestion
Don

Eric

Staff member
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC800000
I think a high temp thermocontact in the exhaust pre-DPF would be a more reliable indicator. Or just do the above but with the existing temperature sensor. In those dark, sooty times when I was driving a diesel, I found that the temperature increased from the regen quite a bit of time before soot would actually go down. Or you could set up a hexnet with gauges on your phone showing you both the EGT and the soot load(s)! :)

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
I think a high temp thermocontact in the exhaust pre-DPF would be a more reliable indicator. Or just do the above but with the existing temperature sensor. In those dark, sooty times when I was driving a diesel, I found that the temperature increased from the regen quite a bit of time before soot would actually go down. Or you could set up a hexnet with gauges on your phone showing you both the EGT and the soot load(s)! :)
Eric: Good "white Hat" suggestions!

Nothing wrong with your proposals, but how about this as an alternative? My understanding (which could be entirely incorrect) is that when the regen function activates, the exhaust gas recirculation is switched off to raise the combustion temperature. The valve that does this is on a mk7 is the "charge pressure control solenoid valve N75" (I think). What if a simple "inverted transistor switch" is hooked-up to the initiating wire from N75 to the ECU (I believe that the ECU earths N72 to energise it)? Given that the required electrical current to operate the new switch is minimal (only needs enough current to switch the base transistor junction), the ECU would be blind to the presence of the additional circuit (I think)

Don
PS: If I'm incorrect and the ECU supplies voltage to N72 to energise it, the LED should be connected in series with the 560 ohm resistor (instead of in parallel with the Collector/Emitter junction)

Sebastian

Ross-Tech Employee
Staff member
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HN0-nnnnnn
PolarFIS has been around for quite some time and has gotten a good reputation. My personal favorite is MFA-XP though, mostly due to additional diagnostic related functionality. :)

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
PolarFIS has been around for quite some time and has gotten a good reputation. My personal favorite is MFA-XP though, mostly due to additional diagnostic related functionality. :)
Sebastian" Hello. I agree entirely, the PolarFIS is a particularly nifty tool for anyone with a hanker to tinker! I've been watching the company's product-line with interest, but alas (ASAIK) they haven't as yet realised a version that will accommodate MQB platform vehicles like the mk7. Unless there is a version that is available in Germany - please advise if there is such a beastie!

Don