Audi A4 B7 Hard Down Shifting at low speeds

mnabeetio

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=272159
Dana it said that the coding was rejected when tried 0000001.

Dana

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
OK, the only thing you can do is refresh the same coding.
If RoW coding is outright refused just re-code it to the same value with different Importer and Equipment numbers so you can see if these actually changed from zeros:

Shop #: WSC 06314 000 00000

Reactions: Uwe

mnabeetio

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=272159
Sorry but I'm a bit confused. What exactly will refreshing the coding achieve?

I also don't understand what you mean by this:
If RoW coding is outright refused just re-code it to the same value with different Importer and Equipment numbers so you can see if these actually changed from zeros:

Shop #: WSC 06314 000 00000

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
We're by no means certain that it will achieve anything, but in at least some control modules, a successful re-coding will cause the module to re-initialize lots of other parameters.

-Uwe-

mnabeetio

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=272159
I see, OK I will try to re code with 0000002 to see if it makes a difference.

At this point, I am banking on the transmission fluid additive. I will update you guys on the outcome once the fluid has been added.

mnabeetio

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=272159
Hey guys I have an update.

So its been 4 days now since the car started shifting fine again, no more hard down shifting from 3rd to 2nd! I was planning on adding the transmission additive but now I no longer need to. The car just kind of fixed it self! I am not exactly sure what I did to fix it...

But regardless, thank you all for your kind support and effort!

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Most likely explanation in my mind: A piece of gunk or crud that was stuck somewhere in the hydraulics is no longer stuck in the hydraulics. But this is purely speculation on my part. As far as I'm concerned, automatic transmissions operate via magic -- i.e. they are a technology I don't really understand well.

-Uwe-

A6Aussie

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=329531
I realise that this is an old thread but for any other people who might have the same issue:

It has been identified that particularly in the event of bad shifting quality from 3-2 and 2-1 (clunk) the MAF (=Mass Air Flow sensor) could be to blame. The transmission heavily relies on its data feedback for shift points. Sonnax has also recognised this the be a very like cause of this fault in one of their webinars a while back.

As the MAF's quality deteriorates over time (they usually get dirty with oil that might be "coughed back" by the turbo or just general stuff that does make it through the air filter after thousands of km's) it's ability to sense lower airflow get's worse too. One test would be to drive until the problem presents itself, pull over, pop the hood and just unplug the MAF (i did this on my C6 4FH) and continue driving the same way. You will get a MIL after a while but the car will continue driving with pre-programmed "backup values". If your shifting quality drastically improves you found the issue. You can stretch out your MAF for a bit by cleaning it with 99.99% Isopropanol, but this will only last around 2-3k km.

If you decide to replace the MAF, you don't need to get it from VAG and can just buy the actual sensor itself (without the tube part) from e.g. Hitachi. Hitachi is one of the OEM's for this sensor.

Hope this helps someone.

Cheers