IMMO 4 OLD ECU, now NEW ECU matching.

BRMTDI

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=247677
This may or may not be the place to ask this....

I am trying to match my current ECU to a different gauge cluster IMMO system...

I have the keys for the cluster....I have the PIN...

My ECU I have its original PIN, when I go into adaption, it always seems to fail...

ECU EDC16U31 ....curious if anyone has any experience matching this ECU...thinking possibly this ECU might have issues.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Which variant of Immo-4?

Got Auto-Scan? ;)

-Uwe-

BRMTDI

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=247677
I'll get one for you later on, its micronass mk5 cluster

BRMTDI

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=247677
Not a VCDS auto scan but I was remoting into my laptop which is hooked up to the cluster and ecu on the bench. Kind of cut and paste from my other tool I use for IMMO purposes which also does diagnostics.

Bench was recently setup which is why not too many control modules attached to it.

Sort_of_Auto_Scan.jpg

Anyway adaptation I always get not ok message for some reason., tried everything I can think of, even removed the EPROM and dumped the bin, changed CS and MAC manually, still had issues with ECU not adapted message,

I guess you can take a look let me know how much you see wrong.

I know there are a ton of codes on the Cluster let me know if I need to add resistance to any of the wires to adapt modules.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I like how that other tool uses the OUR English fault code texts, texts that we put a substantial amount of effort into making more clear and understandable.. :mad:

But that they also don't grok a certain part of the numbering scheme. :facepalm:

-Uwe-

BRMTDI

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=247677
Yeah I have full VCDS, just not home and I was up all night working on this, ready to throw a ECU at some one or the wall or a car, what ever works.

I'll post a VCDS auto scan when I get home later.

I threw the ECU in my car also still had issues.

I'll post a auto scan from my bench and one from my car later.

BRMTDI

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=247677
I just noticed something but I am not sure if this is the issue.

ECU is EDC16 from a TDI,

IMMO file on cluster I am trying to match is from MK5 R32 Gasoline car...

I assume I am having a power class issue...the more I research.

Can Gasoline cluster be adapted to TDI ECU, or is that not a issue?

I can manually change the power class on the cluster IMMO data though to match ECU though if needed.

Last edited:

Jetta 97

Professional User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=81680
Yes Power class will not be same and it could cause this problem.
Other problem that you going to have is Glow Plug light. R32 does not have GP in software and you will have all the time CEL saying " missing GP light ".

BRMTDI

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=247677
Yes Power class will not be same and it could cause this problem.
Other problem that you going to have is Glow Plug light. R32 does not have GP in software and you will have all the time CEL saying " missing GP light ".

I changed the power class in the IMMO file..so it matches to the ECU

Glow plug not worried about that...just trying to match it up and have the ECU adapt to Cluster.

Just keep getting a malfunction message when trying to adapt.

Will post some auto scans later.

Jetta 97

Professional User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=81680
Ok, when you go to Adaptation ch 50 , in upper left corner what is says, Disable , or Pin?

BRMTDI

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=247677

BRMTDI

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=247677
Key is valid. I checked it with the transponder programmer. Also if plugged into only the cluster and not the ECU the key light will turn off which indicated no issues with the key. Also checked Immo channel no codes sees key fine.

Um "establish wait times" I enter the pin then I press test right away it goes to wait then It fails every time when I do it on the bench it says malfunction in the car it says not possible.

Or it might be the other way around, either way tried it so many times.

BRMTDI

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=247677
Pin? When I do this in the vehicle it goes to wait and then to not possible.

When I do it on the bench it goes to wait then malfunction but I believe its because I need to separate terminal 15 and 30 on the Bench, kind of just put it together quickly to get the bench up and running.

Jetta 97

Professional User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=81680
When you do it on bench you need to have Can Gateway connected to ECU and Cluster.
When it says "not possible" in car , it means there is some interruption between ECU and cluster or Immo generation does not match. There is Immo 4 A, B and C.In global they all will be same and comparable but for VCDS there is a big difference between those generations.
I have seen this in Mk4 cars and never find out why is this. In Mk4 cars if I have problem with this I just did it manually.
In mk5 can be done as well with proper tool.Not easy as MK4 but still can be done. But this is out of VCDS discussion.

Last edited:
Reactions: Uwe

BRMTDI

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=247677
When you do it on bench you need to have Can Gateway connected to ECU and Cluster.
When it says "not possible" in car , it means there is some interruption between ECU and cluster or Immo generation does not match. There is Immo 4 A, B and C.In global they all will be same and comparable but for VCDS there is a big difference between those generations.
I have seen this in Mk4 cars and never find out why is this. In Mk4 cars if I have problem with this I just did it manually.
In mk5 can be done as well with proper tool.Not easy as MK4 but still can be done. But this is out of VCDS discussion.

Can Gateway is connected to ECU and Cluster on the Bench and there is communication to ECU via K line direct and can...I have the latest revision of the can gateway also.

IMMO 4, A,B,C did not realise that... I went into the ECU manually I manually edited component security from a EPROM dump from the ECU. I changed CS and MAC to match as a experiment, not sure where to change security pin manually, in the bytes I was able to see where the VIN and IMMO number was written though.

Maybe issue is different IMMO versions.

Where do you look to find IMMO verion letters?

I also ordered a spare ECU ME9, maybe might match up easier or not but at least I will have it to play with.

BRMTDI

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=247677
Can Gateway is connected to ECU and Cluster on the Bench and there is communication to ECU via K line direct and can...I have the latest revision of the can gateway also.

IMMO 4, A,B,C did not realise that... I went into the ECU manually I manually edited component security from a EPROM dump from the ECU. I changed CS and MAC to match as a experiment, not sure where to change security pin manually, in the bytes I was able to see where the VIN and IMMO number was written though.

Maybe issue is different IMMO versions.

Where do you look to find IMMO verion letters?

I also ordered a spare ECU ME9, maybe might match up easier or not but at least I will have it to play with.

Bump Bump Bump

BRMTDI

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=247677
I matched component Security and Mac manually and everything works, didn't need to match anything else.

Thanks again for everyone's input with my adventures.