MK7: Possible to disable automatic A/C activation with defrost?

GTIspirit

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=245724
This is for 2015 NAR GTI.

Is it possible to disable the HVAC system from automatically turning on the A/C when the climate control is turned to defrost? I come from a place where defrost means heat on the windshield to melt ice, A/C doesn't help much here. It's very rare that I use defrost to unfog the inside of the windshield. I'd rather be able to make the choice myself whether or not A/C should be on when the climate control is turned to defrost.

Is it possible to alter this behavior with coding?

golfi_vend

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=195131
Using AC dries the air and therefor defogs windshield faster. That's why it's automatically on.

Call it a safety-system.

GTIspirit

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=245724
Um yes, I understand the A/C removes moisture and humidity from the windshield. But in winter heat is what's needed to melt frost frost from outside the windshield. A/C doesn't help when there is no frost or moisture on the inside of the windshield.....

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Not sure about that particular car, but on most of the ones I've seen, the compressor won't actually run when the outside temperatures are much below freezing.

-Uwe-

D-Dub

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=272151
I have a 14 gti, so not sure this will be the same for you, mine is a standard non-auto climate control;

on the knob that controls where the air flows, ie 12 oclock for defrost, simply set the control for 11 or 1 oclock, this will avoid having the ac kick on and provides essentially the same defrost effectiveness.

GTIspirit

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=245724
Doesn't quite work like that. The combi vent setting, Defrost/Feet turns on the A/C. This is my most commonly used setting to avoid air blowing in my face. So it's really annoying to always have to turn off the A/C.

I'd really like to disable this auto-A/C with "Defrost" so I don't have to keep manually turning it off when I hardly ever need it to "Defog."

Back