Status
Not open for further replies.

BaraJag

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=208761

Ok good so that's a big thing in my eyes that means that say a Dell Venue Pro 8 could do everything I've done so far with my wired Hex-Can without wires and on the go, so not too bad

Well, "Measuring Blocks" is more-or-less deprecated by VW at this point too, but we will give you direct access to old-school groups on modules that support them on the Advanced Measuring Blocks screen by typing in a group number in the search field.

Well can I in any way do this on VCDS mobile or no?
http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-scope/TDIGraph.html

Seesh, they want it all. ;)
I don't see any reason why that can't be done at some point.

-Uwe-

I was under the impression the browser based VCDS might be the VCDS of tomorrow where we slowly but surely would do away with wires and OS restrictions all together and thereby was expecting most everything that has been in VCDS so far to be there and/or "coming soon" (it is "beta" after all).

I upgraded to the HEX NET to simplify life but it's looking more and more like I will have to add another device to my lineup to be able to do what I had anticipated I would be able to do "on the go anywhere" with your common smartphone or tablet (which many of us already carry along anyhow). I have been trying hard to downsize my device/gadget collection, also have been trying to get away from hauling my laptop to the cars all the time.

BaraJag

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=208761
Just updated my VCDS 14.2 and decided to read what I am agreeing to in the licensing and it says:

"...Interface Firmware provided with VCDS is Copyright © 2002-2012 by Ross-Tech LLC and/or Hex Microsystems. All rights are reserved. ...."

;)

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Well can I in any way do this on VCDS mobile or no?
http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-scope/TDIGraph.html
Not at the present time. But then again, the factory tools from VW have never done this either, at least not in graphical form. :D

I was under the impression the browser based VCDS might be the VCDS of tomorrow where we slowly but surely would do away with wires and OS restrictions all together and thereby was expecting most everything that has been in VCDS so far to be there and/or "coming soon" (it is "beta" after all).
For everything to be there right now? I don't think we ever said that. In fact, I think I've explicitly stated that there are probably things we've overlooked. VCDS represents 14 years worth of development. VCDS-Mobile only has about 2 years in it so far. Of course it's easier when you have a "model" to use (complete with source code), but yeah, there are a few PITA things that VCDS-Mobile is missing right now, I admit this.

I upgraded to the HEX NET
Uh... We explicitly don't offer the HEX-NET an "upgrade" at the present time and there's probably a reason WHY we don't yet. ;)

to simplify life but it's looking more and more like I will have to add another device to my lineup to be able to do what I had anticipated I would be able to do "on the go anywhere" with your common smartphone or tablet (which many of us already carry along anyhow). I have been trying hard to downsize my device/gadget collection, also have been trying to get away from hauling my laptop to the cars all the time.
Yes, that's the idea. But seriously, how often do you check your TDI's mechanical timing? It needs to be done when you change your timing belt. It probably doesn't hurt to check it again once the belt is broken in. But after that, you should be good to go for 60,000 miles or more.

Personally, I no longer travel with a wired interface; I do usually have a laptop, but that's not because I feel I must have the original VCDS with me at all times like I used to.

Just updated my VCDS 14.2 and decided to read what I am agreeing to in the licensing and it says:

"...Interface Firmware provided with VCDS is Copyright © 2002-2012 by Ross-Tech LLC and/or Hex Microsystems. All rights are reserved. ...."

;)
That's correct. Look at the dates on the firmware files provided with VCDS. Those files are for the HEX-COM, HEX-USB, HEX+CAN and Micro-CAN interfaces. None of those files are for the HEX-NET. VCDS 14 does still work with our older wired interfaces after all. ;)

-Uwe-

Last edited:

BaraJag

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=208761
Not at the present time. But then again, the factory tools from VW have never done this either, at least not in graphical form. :D

Well even a value would be great.

For everything to be there right now? I don't think we ever said that. In fact, I think I've explicitly stated that there are probably things we've overlooked. VCDS represents 14 years worth of development. VCDS-Mobile only has about 2 years in it so far. Of course it's easier when you have a "model" to use (complete with source code), but yeah, there are a few PITA things that VCDS-Mobile is missing right now, I admit this.

No worries I believe I have read up a lot since I posted that and gotten a more accurate picture of your future plans with it from your input thanks :)

Uh... We explicitly don't offer the HEX-NET an "upgrade" at the present time and there's probably a reason WHY we don't yet.

I know you don't but I still did my own upgrade and am willing to take the risks the beta might involve.

Yes, that's the idea. But seriously, how often do you check your TDI's mechanical timing? It needs to be done when you change your timing belt. It probably doesn't hurt to check it again once the belt is broken in. But after that, you should be good to go for 60,000 miles or more.

I got the unlimited VIN version for a reason. I don't only do this type of thing on my own vehicles (though my own vehicles alone five vehicles with VE TDI ;) so the 60-100k interval will come now and then

Personally, I no longer travel with a wired interface; I do usually have a laptop, but that's not because I feel I must have the original VCDS with me at all times like I used to.

Yeah that's why I just ordered myself a refurb Dell Venue Pro 8 for $245 shipped, to use with ETKA, ELSAWIN & VCDS (full over AP mode) I think that will be a nice device for that.

That's correct. Look at the dates on the firmware files provided with VCDS. Those files are for the HEX-COM, HEX-USB, HEX+CAN and Micro-CAN interfaces. None of those files are for the HEX-NET. VCDS 14 does still work with our older wired interfaces after all. ;)

-Uwe-

I know I wasn't ranting that was a "FYI" post, the dates refer to copyright which usually is updated to the current year even on older sw no?

P.S. Is there a way to exclude smilies from the max image count? "You have included a total of 8 images in your message. The maximum number that you may include is 4. Please correct the problem and then continue again. "

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I know I wasn't ranting that was a "FYI" post, the dates refer to copyright which usually is updated to the current year even on older sw no?
My understanding is no, not if you don't make any changes to that software. Copryight has a limited term and if you make no changes to a piece of software, the copryight eventually expires and it ends up in the public domain.

P.S. Is there a way to exclude smilies from the max image count? "You have included a total of 8 images in your message. The maximum number that you may include is 4. Please correct the problem and then continue again. "
Honestly, I don't know. I'm just learning the Vbulletin software we're using here. Although we haven't explicitly said so, you guys are also beta testers for our forum. Eventually we want to push a lot of what we now do via e-mail to this forum, where there are many more eyeballs besides just our own looking at the questions. Particularly when it comes to car repairs, tweaks, and retrofits, we know a lot, but we don't know everything, nor do we have access to every model that the VW-Audi Group has ever made. The other advantage is that our answers to people become searchable to the public, and the fact is, e-mails are coming in faster than we can answer them at this point.

-Uwe-

BaraJag

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=208761
My understanding is no, not if you don't make any changes to that software. Copryight has a limited term and if you make no changes to a piece of software, the copryight eventually expires and it ends up in the public domain.

Ok I have no clue sorry..thought it "followed along" as long as it is commercially active. But ok.

Honestly, I don't know. I'm just learning the Vbulletin software we're using here. Although we haven't explicitly said so, you guys are also beta testers for our forum.

Ok :) no worries but I guess yeah since the smilies are just images as any other pic that's what the SW sees them as. I've been smiling too much in a few posts now :) oops..

Eventually we want to push a lot of what we now do via e-mail to this forum, where there are many more eyeballs besides just our own looking at the questions. Particularly when it comes to car repairs, tweaks, and retrofits, we know a lot, but we don't know everything, nor do we have access to every model that the VW-Audi Group has ever made. The other advantage is that our answers to people become searchable to the public, and the fact is, e-mails are coming in faster than we can answer them at this point.

-Uwe-

Yes (mass) emails can be a PITA been there done that I single handed was handling 400 emails/24 hours some years ago... know exactly what that means.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Well even a value would be great.
Sorry, I missed this in my previous replies. I promise that at some point, we will at least get you the values so you can plot them on a graph yourself (which has always been the 'documented' procedure by VW). Showing the values isn't particularly difficult.

-Uwe-

romad

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=208765

Honestly, I don't know. I'm just learning the Vbulletin software we're using here. Although we haven't explicitly said so, you guys are also beta testers for our forum. Eventually we want to push a lot of what we now do via e-mail to this forum, where there are many more eyeballs besides just our own looking at the questions. Particularly when it comes to car repairs, tweaks, and retrofits, we know a lot, but we don't know everything, nor do we have access to every model that the VW-Audi Group has ever made. The other advantage is that our answers to people become searchable to the public, and the fact is, e-mails are coming in faster than we can answer them at this point.

-Uwe-

Uwe,

I'm a SPAM Admin for a forum using phpBB, not vBulletin, but you might want to look at your "Post Settings" page in the vBulletin admin control panel. That is where the maximum number of smilies is set in the phpBB software, so vBulletin might be similar.

Edit.
OK, I just went to this vBulletin website: http://www.vbulletin.com/en/manual/

In the drop down menu I selected version 4.2.2 then I dug around to this page: http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/options_message_posting

About half way down the page was this:

"Maximum Images Per Post
"When a new post is submitted or edited vBulletin will check the number of images and smilies in the text and reject it if the number is greater than the value specified here.

"Set the value to 0 to disable this function."

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

romad

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=208765
Can you walk me through this updating procedure? Will there be emails sent to users when an update is available? Can I download the update on my iMac then use the USB cable to update the Hex-Net unit? Or will I be able to just power up the H-N with a USB cable in an Infrastructure connection and use a web browser to make the update happen?

BaraJag

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=208761
Can you walk me through this updating procedure? Will there be emails sent to users when an update is available? Can I download the update on my iMac then use the USB cable to update the Hex-Net unit? Or will I be able to just power up the H-N with a USB cable in an Infrastructure connection and use a web browser to make the update happen?

It just needs to be powered up either by bed hooked up to a car or to a USB source and in infra mode with a working wifi profile added, then you can go in I think it's under options or is there a separate update menu I forget as I don't have it with me right now but yeah that's how you can do it manually it will however prompt you at startup if it finds on it's own.

oh and yeah of course you have to use a browser to access the menu basically you could use your computer for both powering it and accessing the menu of the vcds mobile.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Will there be emails sent to users when an update is available?
Nah, if that shouldn't be necessary if it's got connectivity to the cloud server, and if it doesn't, you can't update it anyway.

Can I download the update on my iMac then use the USB cable to update the Hex-Net unit?
You can do an update while the HEX-NET is connected to your Mac via USB (for power), but updates come directly from our server to the HEX-NET, they do not pass through your computer.

Or will I be able to just power up the H-N with a USB cable in an Infrastructure connection and use a web browser to make the update happen?
This. From the main menu in VCDS-Mobile: [Options] -> [Check for Updates]. Of course, it must have connectivity to the cloud server in order for this to work. Note: I've seen instances where it says "You're up to date!" and then if I check again, it finds an update, so it doesn't hurt to click [Check for Updates] a couple of times, particularly if you have some reason to think there SHOULD be an update.

-Uwe-

Last edited:

romad

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=208765
This. From the main menu in VCDS-Mobile: [Options] -> [Check for Updates]. Of course, it must have connectivity to the cloud server in order for this to work. Note: I've seen instances where it says "You're up to date!" and then if I check again, it finds an update, so it doesn't hurt to click [Check for Updates] a couple of times, particularly if you have some reason to think there SHOULD be an update.

-Uwe-

And since I can't create an account with VCDS-Clould.com, I won't be able to update?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I don't think an account is necessary in order to do updates at this time.

What are your version numbers? (They're on the About screen). Current as right now is:

CodeBlock V0.4012
FW version: 0.176
Dataset 00000025

-Uwe-

romad

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=208765
CodeBlock V0.4009
Dataset: 00000025

I don't think an account is necessary in order to do updates at this time.

What are your version numbers? (They're on the About screen). Current as right now is:

CodeBlock V0.4012
Dataset 00000025

-Uwe-

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
You should update that. Again, I don't think an account is required at this time, but I can't prove that from where I am right now.

-Uwe-

JimG

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=208775
I updated without a cloud account.

romad

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=208765
You should update that. Again, I don't think an account is required at this time, but I can't prove that from where I am right now.

-Uwe-

OK, I was able to update it by using my iMac. Is there a change log for these updates?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
From 4009 to 4012 it's all bug fixes. If you got them as they came out, they each had a short not, but we haven't published a change log per se.

-Uwe-

romad

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=208765
OK. Thanks.

Pete1227

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=208569
After the last update foe the hex-net its telling to update the firmware through vcds mobile but cant figure out how that's done

also the cpu light ifs flashing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back