Is it possible?

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
I'm interested to know whether it's at all possible with a VCDS cable to rebuild the code in a control module using the vehicle's VAG PR numbers alone? It's a doable thing (I suspect that this is the way that it's done by the good VW folk in the Weiter Land) but does VCDS do it?

Some of the Bit descriptors on the Long Coding Helper screens (which are replete with PR-this & PR-that) give the tantalising suggestion that the cable does do this - If so, is there a place on the RT website where verified VCDS users who have not been naughty can access the how-to instructions?

Don

Last edited:

Sebastian

Ross-Tech Employee
Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HN0-nnnnnn
Technically it would be doable, though it would need a "little" more than just the PR codes to have a truly working logic. At the moment,m we do not have the backend to make this happen - we've talked about it a while back and it has been put off to a later date.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Seems to me it would require the complete database of all the bits for the control module in question, and how those bits correspond to PR-Codes.

-Uwe-

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
Seems to me it would require the complete database of all the bits for the control module in question, and how those bits correspond to PR-Codes.

-Uwe-

Uwe: Yes, I envisaged a simple look-up table arrangement on the existing database on the laptop -nothing more complex.

At a guess, I assume that each module has a "base" code structure that is "enhanced" by the car's PR code. I also assumed that you already had much of the information because lots of Bits in the Long Coding Helper currently refer to the PR numbers. Every time I see these descriptors, I think to my self - wouldn't it be nice if I could search the software database by PR number - rather than by Byte (even if by simple SQL query using a third party software) and then code the module with the retrieved data.

Don't get me wrong, I consider the current Long Coding Helper application to be the centre-piece of a brilliantly engineered software architecture. I just want more!:)

But if no one else has enquired about this, then clearly the market demand isn't there - so probably not a commercial application. I also note Sebastian's comment about the need for substantial back-end redesign.

Anyhow, thanks for at least entertaining my mental meanderings!

Don

Back