SAFE-Function deactivated (PR-A8U)

iconoclast

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=115951
Does anyone on here know what exactly this activates and deactivates?
I cannot figure it out and cannot find any information on it.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
"SAFE" is the anti-carjack functionality that prevents doors from being opened that's available on many RDW models. It's not compatible with the FMVSS standards and the door locking mechanisms in NAR models are physically different than the ones in RDW models that support "Safe".

-Uwe-

Reactions: Jef

iconoclast

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=115951
after checking this and unchecking this i believe i lost the memory seat in my mmi. it is there but greyed out stating it is unavailable at this time. i contacted Jeff at Ross-Tech for tech support and paid the fee. he and i restored values to original state but now the seat portion in the mmi will not come back. please advise.

iconoclast

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=115951

If you lose your MMI Seat Setting as seen in the photo above this is the method to recover it:

36: Seat Mem - 07 Coding - Long Coding Helper - change Byte 2, bit 0, to 1

Seat memory will be there however greyed out in MMI

In MMI, Seat Adjustment you are now able to find Driver's seat, you can set Key memory on/off. Set it "on" for both keys separately.

Current coding for seat memory driver (for my vehicle) is: 00581B00000011110000

If that bit is set, set it back to 0, turn off the car and wait ten to fifteen minutes; after a decent amount of time has passed go back in to the module and put back the proper coding. save. clear fault codes and reboot mmi. At this point the option should be enabled and you can program/set your keys to work accordingly.

This is absolutely the dumbest "glitch" I have seen yet in Audi coding. It is up there with BMW's "bug" of coding auto fold mirrors on the F31 and you get a DSC/ABS fault (depending on which ecu revision you have). Very odd and completely inline with peculiar German engineering.

Reactions: Uwe

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC424490

If you lose your MMI Seat Setting as seen in the photo above this is the method to recover it:

36: Seat Mem - 07 Coding - Long Coding Helper - change Byte 2, bit 0, to 1

Seat memory will be there however greyed out in MMI

In MMI, Seat Adjustment you are now able to find Driver's seat, you can set Key memory on/off. Set it "on" for both keys separately.

Current coding for seat memory driver (for my vehicle) is: 00581B00000011110000

If that bit is set, set it back to 0, turn off the car and wait ten to fifteen minutes; after a decent amount of time has passed go back in to the module and put back the proper coding. save. clear fault codes and reboot mmi. At this point the option should be enabled and you can program/set your keys to work accordingly.

This is absolutely the dumbest "glitch" I have seen yet in Audi coding. It is up there with BMW's "bug" of coding auto fold mirrors on the F31 and you get a DSC/ABS fault (depending on which ecu revision you have). Very odd and completely inline with peculiar German engineering.
Thanks for the feedback. :thumbs:

NitrousOxide

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=269481
"SAFE" is the anti-carjack functionality that prevents doors from being opened that's available on many RDW models.
I have a 2008 MK5 Golf GTI. It'a a 2-door Right-Hand-Drive model. I assume that it would be one of those "Rest of World" models.

My issue is that the motorized trunk doesn't unlock from the outside by pulling on the VW logo (which is connected to an electrical switch). I have to fold down the rear-seat and open it from the inside each time. I've taken the trunk apart and wiggle the electrical contacts and wiring around and it works fine for a few days then the problem persists. I just wonder if it has anything to do with the SAFE feature being enabled or disabled, since I don't visually see an electrical issue with the wiring or the electrical contacts to cause this issue each time. I just wondered if disconnecting the wiring cleared anything in the controller itself for the trunk's locking mechanism.

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
I have a 2008 MK5 Golf GTI. It'a a 2-door Right-Hand-Drive model. I assume that it would be one of those "Rest of World" models.

My issue is that the motorized trunk doesn't unlock from the outside by pulling on the VW logo (which is connected to an electrical switch). I have to fold down the rear-seat and open it from the inside each time. I've taken the trunk apart and wiggle the electrical contacts and wiring around and it works fine for a few days then the problem persists. I just wonder if it has anything to do with the SAFE feature being enabled or disabled, since I don't visually see an electrical issue with the wiring or the electrical contacts to cause this issue each time. I just wondered if disconnecting the wiring cleared anything in the controller itself for the trunk's locking mechanism.
NitrousOxide: Hi. I could be wrong (entirely possible), but I don't believe that the anti-carjack functionality (otherwise called SAFELOCK) does extend into the hatch lid. Here's a bit of the WD from my model Golf (mk7) which is fitted with SAFELOCK. The four doors all have the additional SAFELOCK motor and actuator, but the hatch lid doesn't. Car-jacking isn't a "thing" down here - guess that it's not done through the hatch lid!

Don

Dana

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hello Matthew (NitrousOxide),

We received the scan dated Thursday,10,March,2016 with DTCs that point to electrical problems, a faulty controller or incorrect coding. Since this thread was created regarding a 2015 Q7 I think we should split posts 6 + off into a new thread within the Car Repair Support sub-forum but please post the complete Auto-Scan from this vehicle here.

The 46 data from that email was:
> Address 46: Central Conv. Labels: 1K0-959-433-MAX.clb
> Part No SW: 1K0 959 433 BT HW: 1K0 959 433 BT
> Component: KSG PQ35 G2 020 0204
> Coding: 989002085103487F2D040F0FF0085A06109C00
> Shop #: WSC 11111 111 45725

> Subsystem 1 - Component: Sounder No Answer
>
> Subsystem 2 - Component: NGS n.mounted
>
> Subsystem 3 - Component: IRUE n.mounted

> 2 Faults Found:
> 01134 - Alarm Horn (H12)
> 004 - No Signal/Communication
> 00950 - Central Locking Motor - tailgate (V53); UNLOCK
> 007 - Short to Ground
If coding was modified or that H12 siren was removed from the car please let us know. Any additional vehicle history you can provide would be helpful.

For continuity, Peter in our support team suggested the following on 2/26/2016:
- You may want to have a look at the Factory wiring diagrams to see what
wires and connections go to which component.

- Also, to help identify a circuit's function, VCDS can perform the
output test for many of the controllers motors and actuators.

--> Look for: [Motor for Central Locking: Hatch/Trunk (V53)]

- It is recommended to use the Factory Wiring Diagrams/Repair Manuals
when attempting to diagnose and repair these vehicles.

For factory repair information please see the Ross-Tech wiki page linked
below for some good sources of repair information.

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Official_Factory_Repair_Information

NitrousOxide

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=269481
but I don't believe that the anti-carjack functionality (otherwise called SAFELOCK) does extend into the hatch lid
You are indeed correct on this. I didn't see the presence of a second motor or switch, the last time I took the trunk apart.
I wonder if there is a way to determine in VCDS if my car has the feature (hardware-wise) for the driver and passenger door, without actually taking the doors apart just to check.
I was thinking about simply enabling the feature in VCDS then later check for the presence of a DTC to state that my car doesn't have that feature installed.

Zenerdiode

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=24330
"SAFE" is the anti-carjack functionality...
Sorry Uwe, slight mis-match in terminology here, I think. Anti-Carjack (or hijack) is something that may be enabled on NAR models; and is the outer door handles locking when you drive over a certain speed, unlocking when you remove the key from the ignition.

SAFE is the inner door handles being rendered useless to open the car when the vehicle is locked. That's why the FMVSS got uppety about it, they're worried that a malfunction will lock and trap people in the car.

I wonder if there is a way to determine in VCDS if my car has the feature (hardware-wise) for the driver and passenger door, without actually taking the doors apart just to check.
Very easy. Sit in the car; and lock by one push on the remote. If you have SAFELOCKS (deadlocks) you won't be able to open the door by pulling the inner door handle. If you don't feel happy enough sitting in the car, lock it with the window down and try.

SAFELOCKS were introduced in Europe, (especially England) because a common theft MO was to smash a small rear quarterlight window, reach in and pull the inner door handle. SAFELOCK prevents that.

If you leave a person in the car (when popping in to the shops or something) and you want to de-SAFE, you press the remote locking button twice in short succession. First press locks with SAFE, second press opens the SAFE motor.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Sorry Uwe, slight mis-match in terminology here, I think. Anti-Carjack (or hijack) is something that may be enabled on NAR models; and is the outer door handles locking when you drive over a certain speed, unlocking when you remove the key from the ignition.
We've always referred to that feature as "Auto-Lock". Frankly, I despise it and tend to disable it, but that's just me. ;)

SAFE is the inner door handles being rendered useless to open the car when the vehicle is locked. That's why the FMVSS got uppety about it, they're worried that a malfunction will lock and trap people in the car.
Right, which I think of as an anti carjacking feature, because even if you have your window down, or the jacker smashes it, he can't just reach in and open the doors.

Very easy. Sit in the car; and lock by one push on the remote. If you have SAFELOCKS (deadlocks) you won't be able to open the door by pulling the inner door handle. If you don't feel happy enough sitting in the car, lock it with the window down and try.

SAFELOCKS were introduced in Europe, (especially England) because a common theft MO was to smash a small rear quarterlight window, reach in and pull the inner door handle. SAFELOCK prevents that.

If you leave a person in the car (when popping in to the shops or something) and you want to de-SAFE, you press the remote locking button twice in short succession. First press locks with SAFE, second press opens the SAFE motor.
Good info. :thanks:

-Uwe-

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
I suspect that Zenerdiode had intended to mention the "other" way of checking if SAFELOCK was installed, but got distracted by NitrousOxide!! - Turn off the ignition and the following message appears on the MFD (warning if leaving children and pets in the car on a hot day - I guess)

Don

NitrousOxide

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=269481
I think we should take a look at the oldest saved scan you have from this vehicle to see if any modifications made with VCDS caused some of the current issues in this vehicle.
I had this issue before getting VCDS. I'll soon be checking the physical status of the alarm siren first thing in the morning.

NitrousOxide

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=269481
If coding was modified or that H12 siren was removed from the car please let us know. Any additional vehicle history you can provide would be helpful.

For continuity, Peter in our support team suggested the following on 2/26/2016:
I didn't actually get around to removing the H12 siren as I had planned to swap with another one to see if it clears the DTC.
I also need to test the steps that Peter outlined (I've been too busy playing around with the other options in VCDS to even remember that I have this as an outstanding task to complete). However the results turn out, I ought to take the time-out to thank you and the rest of the team for remaining so professional in your dealing with us as customers. It's really a good feeling to know that I've bought this VCDS product and can actually get the online support that comes with it.