UDS differences, 2012 vs 2014

forcefedjunkie

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=683
I've been using a 2012 A6 3.0T to develop a "switch" to trigger a pump for methanol or NOS or whatever for my own use. I am doing this by monitoring a couple advanced measuring values and when they reach a certain value the switch closes. Anyway, that is not the point. I now have a 2014 S5 3.0T and my little module that I developed doesn't work. I believe that it's due to more than Audi having changed the addresses of the parameters I'm using, it seems that the entire communications is different on the 2014 even though both come up as UDS on VCDS and the advanced measuring values look very similar. I thought I understood the UDS system a little, and could identify what I needed on the CAN bus on the 2012, which seemed to be the same as on my 2016 Golf R as well, but this 2014 has nothing in common with the A6 or Golf. Is Audi using the CAN lines on the 2014 S5 like on the A6 and Golf R? It's like they've moved the communications to another set of wires. Thanks in advance for any help.

Todd

Eric

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC800000
Yup, still on the same CAN bus and same address. But you're finding out that nothing can be taken for granted with UDS across different control modules. Whatever reverse engineering you did on the 2012, you'll have to redo on the 14. Side note, does the methanol help with carbon build up at all?

forcefedjunkie

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=683
It seems to be an initialization issue upon further investigation, I think the telemetry is the same. Makes no sense to me for VAG to change that but whatever.

I haven't actually used the system, was planning on implementing it on the S5 after some mods. Looks like I'll have to start over again as all the A6 code will not transfer over.