VCDS on more than one laptop

dag_ltd

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=271191
Hi, probably going to make myself look stupid here but can I install VCDS on more than one Windows PC and use the same HEX-NET interface?

For some reason I think that the interface is 'tied' to one PC and one PC only?

The HEX-NET only arrived today!

Thanks

Rob

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
Hi, probably going to make myself look stupid here but can I install VCDS on more than one Windows PC and use the same HEX-NET interface?

For some reason I think that the interface is 'tied' to one PC and one PC only?
Welcome! You can use it on as many devices as you like. The license is tied to the HEX-NET hardware, not your PC.

The only time a VCDS license is tied to the PC is for VCDS-Lite, which is meant to work with very old Ross-Tech interfaces or generic third-party interfaces.

Jason

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
Supplementary question to dag_ltd's excellent enquiry: Can the same Codinglog.txt file be used across the multiple VCDS software copies? If so, how?
Don

Reactions: Uwe

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
Supplementary question to dag_ltd's excellent enquiry: Can the same Codinglog.txt file be used across the multiple VCDS software copies? If so, how?
That doesn't really apply -- it's a log file, something VCDS writes to as changes are made, but will never read. You're certainly welcome to archive it for your own purposes, along with Auto-Scans. But there's no real sense in trying to synchronize them across multiple PCs by hand.

Jason

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
Jason: Many thanks for your quick reply: I had expected that the answer would be "no", but I just wanted to have a more knowledgeable forum member confirm my suspicion. The value in being able to "link" this file across multiple copies of software is that it produces a single source-of-record for fault finding when tweaks go pear-shape! Not a big issue - I agree, but a nice-to-have facility if easily implemented - which it is not!
Cheers
Don

Reactions: Uwe

Zenerdiode

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=24330
Don,

As Jason says - it's appended to each time - but not read from. Therefore VCDS won't know (or care) if it is being written to from different computers. Depending on how you would like to sync; you may do it over a home network connection or maybe a USB stick? Use ROBOCOPY.exe (I can write the script for you if you'd like) and if you're feeling really adventurous, add it to the autorun.inf so the script will run each time you plug your USB stick in. (Be aware though, some virus scanners are preventing USB autoruns from running, after Stuxnet...)

dag_ltd

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=271191
Welcome! You can use it on as many devices as you like. The license is tied to the HEX-NET hardware, not your PC.

The only time a VCDS license is tied to the PC is for VCDS-Lite, which is meant to work with very old Ross-Tech interfaces or generic third-party interfaces.

Jason

Thanks for the reply. I want to buy a new laptop for my new HEX-NET but didn't want to put it on my old one if my suspicion was correct.

I can start using it today then :)

Thanks again

Rob

KrysAudi

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=288132
So let me get this right, you can use it on another computer? My daughter broke my laptop with the orginal install and now I want to install it on my wife's laptop so I can scan my car. This will work right?

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
So let me get this right, you can use it on another computer? My daughter broke my laptop with the orginal install and now I want to install it on my wife's laptop so I can scan my car. This will work right?
I have VCDS installed on 2 tablets, one netbook and one desktop - and all work with my single HEX-NET.

The licence requires the cable, so the software can be installed on any number of computers.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Right. The license is in the interface/cable. The software reads the license info from the interfface when you connect to a car. This allows you to install and use the software on as many computers as you wish. However, you can only use it on one computer at a time -- whichever one you have the interface connected to at any given moment.

-Uwe-

Back